Sometimes they actually get it right

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Halloween- In years past, I and many other drivers have been out delivering in residential neighborhoods full of trick or treaters well after dark. This year, our center actually made a legitimate effort to get everybody done early on Halloween in order to avoid the risk of running over a kid. I was done and off the clock by 6:15, which is unheard of for me this time of year.

Tires- I run a lot of miles on gravel and will completely chew up a new set of tires in 7 or 8 months. The shop and I have worked out a system whereby, during the summer months, I run on whatever old tires/spares/retreads/ they have lying around. All I need during good weather is something with legal tread that holds air. Then, on or around the first of November every year, they toss whatever is on my truck into the "spare" bin and mount a brand new set of seriously bad ass mud tires all the way around. Like clockwork, I showed up this morning to fresh rubber as well as a completely new set of brakes on my truck, just in time for the mud and snow and winter weather that I will be fighting with up on my mountain in the coming weeks. There was a time when getting decent tires involved a lot of arguing and fighting, but now its simply a matter of writing the car up and waiting a couple of days for the shop to schedule the work.

Griff

I punched out at 8:30pm. No such effort was made here, they cut even more routes than they normally do on that day of the week.

:greedy:The joys of being in a bonus center. My maroon coworkers are like the gift that never stops giving.:greedy:

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Same here. Punched out at 2100 and there were 5 or 6 drivers still out. Nothing like creeping down kid clogged streets at 5 mph dragging the brakes... Just in case.

brostalss

I honestly think UPS should consider making Halloween a Black Out date if it falls on a weekday in order to have max routes and max drivers. Vacations would still apply.

Safety for us Drivers and the kids as well as possible theft issues. Of course there would always be the few sick calls and those completely against any idea like this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The weather put a damper on Halloween here----I was punched out and gone by my regular time of 6:15.

I like the idea of making Halloween a black-out date. This would give the younger drivers a chance to spend the evening with their kids.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What exactly is a black out date? I've never heard that term before.

I am guessing it means no optional holidays nor 8 hour requests?

Our center manager made a huge speech about how it was going to be his personal goal to get everyone done and in early. He put in ONE split car, and that was supposed to magically fix everything. We even sent 2 drivers home Thursday, instead of having all available bodies and trucks to get the job done and go home.

I'm at least glad to hear that some centers didn't totally screw it up :D

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had never heard the term before as well but also assume that it means no optional holidays or 8 hour requests; of course, you would have the same people calling in sick, so it would probably be all for naught.

We did have one older driver help out one of our younger ones. They both deliver in the same town and the older guy helped out by taking some residentials and picking up the UPS Store so that they younger guy could get done early to spend time with his kids.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The highlight of the evening was when a attractive woman in provocative attire, told me her outfit was "Little Red Riding S---!" (Word rhymes with hut).

FilingBluesFL

I could have had all the candy I wanted this year due to the lack of trick or treaters in the neighborhood I was in.

I was finally in a nice neighborhood this year with good kids, and their parents walking around with most of them, so no worries about the little monsters "tricking" someone by stealing their stuff lol

over9five

Staff member
We did have one older driver help out one of our younger ones. They both deliver in the same town and the older guy helped out by taking some residentials and picking up the UPS Store so that they younger guy could get done early to spend time with his kids.

Why didn't you do that? You just sat at home in the dark that night anyhow, right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why didn't you do that? You just sat at home in the dark that night anyhow, right?

Turning off the porch light and locking the screen door is hardly sitting at home in the dark.

I don't know what your problem with me is and, quite frankly, I really don't care, but now that you are no longer a mod we can take the gloves and discuss it, man to man.

As for me running your little friend off of this forum, she did that all on her own.

Indecisi0n

Turning off the porch light and locking the screen door is hardly sitting at home in the dark.

I don't know what your problem with me is and, quite frankly, I really don't care, but now that you are no longer a mod we can take the gloves and discuss it, man to man.

As for me running your little friend off of this forum, she did that all on her own.

Can we take off more than just the gloves?

JackStraw

I deliver to a neighborhood that is surrounded by hills and long driveways. It's all flat and the houses are close together. There were hundreds of kids Trick or Treating. The parents drive their kids in from the hills. Quite the sight.

over9five

Staff member

Yawn.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I was home all week for vacation. I always take of this week so I'm home for Trick or Treat and my last week before peak starts. But I did hear that our centers were told "no residential deliveries after 6pm."

over9five

Staff member
I was home all week for vacation. I always take of this week so I'm home for Trick or Treat and my last week before peak starts. But I did hear that our centers were told "no residential deliveries after 6pm."

Wow, can't believe that. Definitely remember many Halloweens driving my PC 3 mph on residential streets. I actually loved walking up to a house with a delivery AND with a bunch of kids trick or treating. At least I had fun with some kids, if not my own!