Sorting Test

You definitely have to study for it, but don't be afraid to fail the test. Chances are it will be the exact same test the next time you take it, and you'll be way more prepared after seeing it once.

The test I took was 50 questions, and I got 10 minutes to complete it. You can't miss more than two.

Good luck. I remember once I started sorting, I would dream about it every night and it felt like I never got any rest. I would just see zip codes all day, everyday. My brain was always hard at work.
But after a while it switches from the "still learning", all thoughts-consuming part of the brain, to pure memory and you can go back to singing the Eagles to yourself while you coast through the rest of your shift.
Ever had dreams about sorting boxes?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Never had a test .
Was thrown on preload sorting because of my age , friend/T . The sup in charge thought I was always a sorter , far from it , I was always the unloader . But I have a lot of knowledge from years as an air exception driver .

J

jibbs

I thought the sorter test was all in the past?

In my building, on the preload, they throw pretty much anybody on the sort.

Funny thing, when I first started in 2012 I asked a few sort aisle guys about that $1 raise. Two of them were under the impression that the unloaders were the ones that get paid more. I spoke to an unloader a couple days after that and he was under the impression that sorters are supposed to get it. Come to find out, they had the $1 preload "raise" but no additional dollars tacked onto their hourly rate-- sort aisle and unload alike from the few people I talked to about it.

That was my first look into UPS' bull:censored2:, and it's stuck with me ever since.

El Correcto

god is dead
The most fun you will have as a sorter is turning off all the belts in the building and then taking your sweet ass time clearing your egress. If they give you flak, you say it's an osha requirement and ask for a rep.

browner89

Send everything to Chicago. You passed. Maybe not everything but I'd guess about 30+ states worth of ground level packages we just send to Chicago. CACH must have one hell of a sort aisle setup. Probably 10x worse than my small sort.

Anyone work there who knows how many outbound locations they cover? My Feeders go to about 6 locations total with a few duplicate doors, Wouldn't be surprised if CACH feeders left for 20x that number.

NickyNik

It actually was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. They gave us a week to study for the twilight test. Passing was 196 out of 200 questions. Where I was we had to pass it twice in a row before we got our raise. The midnight sort test they gave us a shift to study and passing was 300/300. This was in Roswell Ga. I'm at plesantdale now and they have the scanners so no test but I learned the sort in about a week.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I'm a new hire that just recently gained seniority. I've grown tired of loading packages, but I just don't want to quit like most new hires do though. I was wondering how difficult the sorting test is. I'm generally pretty book smart and good with memorizing numbers. Any tips and advice would be much appreciated.
Start with a Base... Learn all the all's... Just like another poster said for the sort.. There's blocks of slic's... Once you learn your all's, ask to be put up on the sort with a training supervisor.. You should be at about 80% to make it up there... The rest is learned by repetition while up there.. After about a week of actual on the job training, go take the test again on the computer.. You'll probably be in the 90% range now but you'll have a better grasp on what goes where and get lucky with a few guesses. You can only have 5 missorts to make it to 97.5% which they'll round up for you to 98%.. And you'll pass the ground test. . but your not done.. You'll then need to learn your 2day and 3day sorts (500 question test by the end of it).. But those are pretty easy once u understand the sort from being up there.. It's all repetition... Associate slic's with colors to things in your life.. 322 is an all here and goes yellow... my wife's birthday is the 22.. And her favorite color is yellow.. All Tampa is blue.. The Tampa bay rays baseball team colors are blue.. Things like that.. It'll eventual all start to stick.. :) good luck!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Send everything to Chicago. You passed. Maybe not everything but I'd guess about 30+ states worth of ground level packages we just send to Chicago. CACH must have one hell of a sort aisle setup. Probably 10x worse than my small sort.

Anyone work there who knows how many outbound locations they cover? My Feeders go to about 6 locations total with a few duplicate doors, Wouldn't be surprised if CACH feeders left for 20x that number.
Dude..the hub is huge...I work in a fairly large building...and you could fit about 6 of my buildings inside CACH. Their sort system is almost completely automated. Guys unload trailers....and those packages aren't touched again by human hands until they arrive at the appropriate outbound to be loaded onto another trailer.