South Africa FIFA World Cup 2010

fxdwg

Long Time Member
BERLIN – Octopus Paul predicts Spain will beat Holland and win the World Cup.

Paul's pick was carried live Friday on TV stations around Europe. The world-famous octopus could be seen sitting on a tank marked with a Spanish flag for only a few minutes before grabbing out a mussel and devouring it, while completely ignoring the Dutch tank — indicating a Spanish victory in Sunday's final match in the World Cup.
Paul correctly predicted Germany's wins over Argentina, England, Australia and Ghana and the country's losses to Serbia and Spain.
He also predicted that Germany will win over Uruguay in Saturday's match for third and fourth place.

Holy ****.... Now, I am worried!

klein

Für Meno :)
Octopus Paul, keeps his 100% prediction record !

Germany won bronze over Uruquay 3:2.
Good exciting game.
Only one more game left, and then I'll need to wait another whole 4 years, to watch soocer played at this level , again :(

Germany, added 5 new players for todays match. Every single one of them was 25 or under (age wise).

KingofBrown

What a great game. Fantastic. Diego Forlan, Man of the Match for me. And I even think he deserves man of the World Cup. He almost tied that 3, but he couldn't beat Paul, I guess.

Octopus Paul, keeps his 100% prediction record !

Germany won bronze over Uruquay 3:2.
Good exciting game.
Only one more game left, and then I'll need to wait another whole 4 years, to watch soocer played at this level , again :(

Germany, added 5 new players for todays match. Every single one of them was 25 or under (age wise).

klein

If Paul makes his first mistake tomorrow, I'll forgive him.
He has never predicted games not involving the German Team.

Plus, I do want Holland to win :)
They have been runner up a few times. They need to finalize their dream !

Germany will get the worldcup in 4 years. They will keep that national team together, with only a few slight changes until then. And they will play circles around everybody else.

KingofBrown

Yes, Germany will get stronger, with matured (on their game) players, and with the experience needed in a perfect age for soccer. But I find it really hard to beat Brazil if both make it to the Final in the Maracana with all these carnival cheerleaders and a passionated audience.

Tomorrow's game will be a good one, I think it will get better than today's. What I don't like is the attitude of the Netherlands' coach. He should say they got the same level as Spain, and that they haven't lost a game, and I think they didn't lose one on the games to qualify for the World Cup, either. That'd make it a more passionate match, and his players will get more trust on what they can do. I still, want Spain to win, they've been doing great on sports recently. And I also hope Contador gets the Tour de France, once again.

klein

Well, it's all over. Paul the octopus was right, again !

Spain was the better team today, so I guess they deserved the win.
They won their last 4 games just 1:0, and I still believe, Germany with the most overall goals, should have been in the final, but they screwed it up.

The whole worldcup was great to watch, and full of excitement.
I hope I get to watch most of the games played in 2014, too. Will be closer played in our timezone (evening games), so that's a bonus, having them played in Brazil .

Congrats to Spain !

But, honestly, I was hoping for penalty kicks, during the OT period.
Atleast, I got a whole 120 minutes worth of soccer, that billions around the world were watching.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I watched the title game today and was impressed by the level of play on both sides. I was not impressed by the number of times a player was "injured" only to bounce right back up after the offending player received a yellow card. I was also not impressed at the amount of whining--I thought I was watching an NBA game. I thought the ref did a very good job keeping control of the game and was also hoping that it would go to penalty kicks.

Tuesday night--MLB All Star game.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was not impressed by the number of times a player was "injured" only to bounce right back up after the offending player received a yellow card. I was also not impressed at the amount of whining--I thought I was watching an NBA game.

First you offend the whiners in the teamsters and now the soccer players/fans.
What is the problem with you and whiners?

klein

First you offend the whiners in the teamsters and now the soccer players/fans.
What is the problem with you and whiners?

If you never played the game, it's hard to understand that a foul in your ankles or shins, while your running is totally painful.
Leaves more then just bruising, but also after the match and for days to come, you'll still feel it.
Thats why soccer is never played back to back in 2 days. They need atleast 4 days to rest inbetween, and thats not even enough.
In Soccer leagues around the world, they only play weekends (usually Saturday to Saturday, - once per week)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you never played the game, it's hard to understand that a foul in your ankles or shins, while your running is totally painful.
Leaves more then just bruising, but also after the match and for days to come, you'll still feel it.
Thats why soccer is never played back to back in 2 days. They need atleast 4 days to rest inbetween, and thats not even enough.
In Soccer leagues around the world, they only play weekends (usually Saturday to Saturday, - once per week)

Oh, please, some of those "injuries" you would have thought they would have to be carted off the field but, suddenly, as soon as the yellow card was displayed, they were all better. It's a miracle!!!

klein

They hand out yellow cards, not because of the severity of injury, but if they had no attempt at all to kick the ball away, but only thier feet !

fxdwg

Long Time Member
It sucks that Holland lost. I really wanted them to win over Spain.
What also sucks is this thread is going away.
I had fun except for when UpsState barged in.
I have to say that Klein; grgrcr88 and KingofBrown made it more fun with their 2 cents and insight.
Thanks to everyone else that contributed. Except UpsState:wink2:.
I'm seriously thinking about a Brazil trip in 2014.
Post that link for the US hosting in 2018 or 2022 again. It would be awesome and if UPS was an official sponsor, it would be even more awesome.

Cheers!

KingofBrown

Klein I'll have to disagree with you on this one. That is not an awesome prediction, but post 10 from grgrcr88 is An Awesome Knowledge of the sport of Soccer; not even Paul could have done it better.

I am predicting Netherlands and Spain play in the final with Spain winning it all.

Holy crap !!!!! You were soo right at the time, and it was unthinkable back then !
I hope you played some sports bets !

That was an awesome prediction !