Southern Supplement Change-Will It Stop Drivers From Working Their Vacations? **ON TOPIC PLEASE**

Overpaid Union Thug

We had wording in our supplement years back regarding this issue for same reason. We fixed it by making anyone working on a vacation week last to be assigned a route for that day. No bumping onto his bid route, and everyone on seniority list had to be given the opportunity to work first. Once guys couldn't come in and do there own route most stayed on vacation.
That would prob work here too.

DOK

Current Language: Article 61(G)

"In lieu of time off, employees, at their discretion, may take the pay

for said weeks. However, the employee must notify the Employer

during September of each year of this request."

Proposed Language: Article 46, Section 6(A)

"Package car drivers who do not hold a bid route will have the opportunity to bid any route(s) that

will be vacant for the entire following week. The vacant routes will be posted on Tuesday and

completed by Thursday. If a bid driver returns to work mid-week, they will be placed on their

route at their next scheduled start time.

If a package car driver is pulled from their bid route to cover another route, a package car driver

would be entitled to a two (2) hour penalty payment at his/her straight time rate of pay."

Our local tends to ignore violations of Article 61 G (Top) by letting drivers work during their scheduled (not sold) vacation. Right now there is no strong penalty for this violation, but 'm hoping that new language (second from top) will prevent it. But the language is definitely open to interpretation. Specifically the last two sentences.

Under the current language (Top) we are supposed to select how we want to use our option days AND how many vacation weeks we want to sell. That process is supposed keep those that wish to work from selecting and potentially blocking out vacation weeks for people that actually want those weeks off. That language should be more than enough to stop the violations but without any real penalty it doesn't. The last two sentences are the problem. These loopholes and weak language are the main reasons I always vote no on both the National and Southern Supplement. But I'm still hoping the new language helps.

For example: A bid driver has selected Spring Break 2019 for a vacation week. His/her route will be put up for bid the week before and an unassigned driver will win the bid and essentially be the bid driver the following week. The normal driver decides to come in on Wednesday and work. Will they be sent home? If not could the driver that bid their route grieve it and cite the new language to get the two hour penalty payment and cite Article 61(G)? Thats how I interpret it.

Or does "...they will be placed on their route at their next scheduled start time" mean they can work but will not be on their route until the following Monday? If they are scheduled to be on vacation that week then logic says that they are not scheduled to work until the following Monday. But there's still that pesky Article 61(G). But it usually doesn't stop anyone anyway so....

Thoughts?

Working on your vacation is not permitted here, I’m amazed it’s allowed anywhere actually.

DOK

"Package car drivers who do not hold a bid route will have the opportunity to bid any route(s) that

will be vacant for the entire following week. The vacant routes will be posted on Tuesday and

completed by Thursday. If a bid driver returns to work mid-week, they will be placed on their

If a package car driver is pulled from their bid route to cover another route, a package car driver

would be entitled to a two (2) hour penalty payment at his/her straight time rate of pay."

Our local tends to ignore violations of Article 61 G (Top) by letting drivers work during their scheduled (not sold) vacation. Right now there is no strong penalty for this violation, but 'm hoping that new language (second from top) will prevent it. But the language is definitely open to interpretation. Specifically the last two sentences.

Under the current language (Top) we are supposed to select how we want to use our option days AND how many vacation weeks we want to sell. That process is supposed keep those that wish to work from selecting and potentially blocking out vacation weeks for people that actually want those weeks off. That language should be more than enough to stop the violations but without any real penalty it doesn't. The last two sentences are the problem. These loopholes and weak language are the main reasons I always vote no on both the National and Southern Supplement. But I'm still hoping the new language helps.

For example: A bid driver has selected Spring Break 2019 for a vacation week. His/her route will be put up for bid the week before and an unassigned driver will win the bid and essentially be the bid driver the following week. The normal driver decides to come in on Wednesday and work. Will they be sent home? If not could the driver that bid their route grieve it and cite the new language to get the two hour penalty payment and cite Article 61(G)? Thats how I interpret it.

Or does "...they will be placed on their route at their next scheduled start time" mean they can work but will not be on their route until the following Monday? If they are scheduled to be on vacation that week then logic says that they are not scheduled to work until the following Monday. But there's still that pesky Article 61(G). But it usually doesn't stop anyone anyway so....

Thoughts?
We have 4 or 5 drivers that always work their vacation week. 2 of them let the center manager pick the weeks so that they can block out certain times like the week after x mas.

Come on, you can’t be serious.

rod

Retired 22 years
One thing I will give my old managers credit for is letting us trade vacations if something came up where you really needed a week off.

Overpaid Union Thug

One thing I will give my old managers credit for is letting us trade vacations if something came up where you really needed a week off.
I'd file on those if I noticed them. It opens the door to letting a high seniority driver basically reserve a week for a junior driver. It's still wrong even if it's not planned ecactly that way. I try and save my option days for when I might need or wants some days that might be blocked off.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'd file on those if I noticed them. It opens the door to letting a high seniority driver basically reserve a week for a junior driver. It's still wrong even if it's not planned ecactly that way. I try and save my option days for when I might need or wants some days that might be blocked off.

We never had any trouble with vacation trading. That's what is nice about a small center (or at least it used to be).

Overpaid Union Thug

We never had any trouble with vacation trading. That's what is nice about a small center (or at least it used to be).
It happened a few times here. That I know of. We are a small center but It's a pain trying to keep up with who's supposed to be off. Who wants to look at the vacation schedule every week? Not me. Most people pay attention during those "prime weeks" though.

Slug Life

When do we eat?

Thoughts?
The way it works is they have to be using every driver including TCD’s to run during their vacation.
Also they go to the bottom of coverage not their route.
If those things don’t happen you can file for penalty pay as a TCD if not being ran.
Also seniority if they try to bump you off the weekly bid route for them.
I’ve made guys working their vacation have to cover. Meanwhile I’m running that Kush for them.
Hope this helped answer your question.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Also seniority if they try to bump you off the weekly bid route for them.
I’ve made guys working their vacation have to cover. Meanwhile I’m running that Kush for them.
Hope this helped answer your question.
Weekly bid route?
You're working under the new supplement already?

ManInBrown

I never understood why drivers work on their vacation.
It’s amazing. They either hate their significant other, or they really bleed brown. I wouldn’t work my vacation if you paid me quadruple time for all hours worked. Not to mention especially in package, it’s blood money. Your body needs that rest to recoup.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
I've worked my vacation week twice. once I had planned a trip that fell through so I didn't really have anything to do and I ended up taking a week off later, basically informally rescheduling my vacation. I don't live "paycheck to paycheck" so people's logic about that later week making a hole in my pay doesn't hold any water for me. The other time I kinda needed the extra money (again not that I live paycheck to paycheck). and I only wanted my birthday off which was friday, and I just showed up on monday, I guess they just didn't realize I had a scheduled vacation because it wasn't an issue until thursday when I told them I wouldn't be in tomorrow which they balked at. I had also warned them wednesday but I think they weren't paying attention. Friday they called me a whole bunch of times I answered once and calmly told them about my superstition about birthdays being unlucky and that I wasn't coming in. they told me that I would be in big trouble. it only reinforced my superstition. monday they fussed at me, had a 5 day ready to go, but i had already filled out a harrassment grievance in advance and had documentation of my vacation schedule, which i always get after them trying to reneg on a vacation involving a family trip to ireland years before. in lieu of suspending me, my manager flew off the handle accusing me of shouting and cursing. so i wrote out a harrassment grievance on that.

i don't really get what's so bad about someone working their vacation if they do it of their own volition. I'm fine with the language either way, i just don't see what the big deal is.

I've worked my vacation week twice. once I had planned a trip that fell through so I didn't really have anything to do and I ended up taking a week off later, basically informally rescheduling my vacation. I don't live "paycheck to paycheck" so people's logic about that later week making a hole in my pay doesn't hold any water for me. The other time I kinda needed the extra money (again not that I live paycheck to paycheck). and I only wanted my birthday off which was friday, and I just showed up on monday, I guess they just didn't realize I had a scheduled vacation because it wasn't an issue until thursday when I told them I wouldn't be in tomorrow which they balked at. I had also warned them wednesday but I think they weren't paying attention. Friday they called me a whole bunch of times I answered once and calmly told them about my superstition about birthdays being unlucky and that I wasn't coming in. they told me that I would be in big trouble. it only reinforced my superstition. monday they fussed at me, had a 5 day ready to go, but i had already filled out a harrassment grievance in advance and had documentation of my vacation schedule, which i always get after them trying to reneg on a vacation involving a family trip to ireland years before. in lieu of suspending me, my manager flew off the handle accusing me of shouting and cursing. so i wrote out a harrassment grievance on that.

i don't really get what's so bad about someone working their vacation if they do it of their own volition. I'm fine with the language either way, i just don't see what the big deal is.
Well if your vacation week is a prime week in the summertime maybe somebody underneath you wanted to be off that week but they could not take that week because there's already scheduled

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
Well if your vacation week is a prime week in the summertime maybe somebody underneath you wanted to be off that week but they could not take that week because there's already scheduled.
yea ok, but that's not me. I wanted my birthday off no matter what and the only way to get it was to reserve the whole week. otherwise i pick my weeks late so if i really did inconvenience anyone well they were too lazy about it for me to feel sorry over.

ManInBrown

yea ok, but that's not me. I wanted my birthday off no matter what and the only way to get it was to reserve the whole week. otherwise i pick my weeks late so if i really did inconvenience anyone well they were too lazy about it for me to feel sorry over.
You wanted your birthday off and the only way to get it was take the whole week off? Wow. Ever heard of I’m not coming in today, click?