Southwest Travel Benefits "Suspended" - Awesome

They can keep their so called flight benefits,pay the money like everyone else.They probably just took the guys pension or something!Do us another favor and suspend all of those worthless so called flight benefits,this isnt the first time, just an embarrasment to all of us.The guy is an airline employee right so he should know?See how this is not an airline?Anyone who flies,maintains a/c,maintains GSE at a location that operates an a/c,supports onload/offload andy other positions at an airport that supports air ops is the airline period.Everyone else ,sorry but you guys just do what you do,and have nothing to do with the word airline.Part of the reason why jumpseat is gone non-airline employees from all over on a live flight acting a fool.First chance of getting that changed the flight crews jumped at the opportunity.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They can keep their so called flight benefits,pay the money like everyone else.They probably just took the guys pension or something!Do us another favor and suspend all of those worthless so called flight benefits,this isnt the first time, just an embarrasment to all of us.The guy is an airline employee right so he should know?See how this is not an airline?Anyone who flies,maintains a/c,maintains GSE at a location that operates an a/c,supports onload/offload andy other positions at an airport that supports air ops is the airline period.Everyone else ,sorry but you guys just do what you do,and have nothing to do with the word airline.Part of the reason why jumpseat is gone non-airline employees from all over on a live flight acting a fool.First chance of getting that changed the flight crews jumped at the opportunity.

Good points. The crews never liked jumpseaters that much unless they were attractive females. True airline employees understand interline etiquette and policies, quite unlike Meth (PCP?) Man on that Southwest flight. Keeping the interline benefits are just another way that Fred "proves" we're an airline when we're not. If we go union, the flight benefits will disappear immediately. No further need to pretend.

Washu234

Good points. The crews never liked jumpseaters that much unless they were attractive females. True airline employees understand interline etiquette and policies, quite unlike Meth (PCP?) Man on that Southwest flight. Keeping the interline benefits are just another way that Fred "proves" we're an airline when we're not. If we go union, the flight benefits will disappear immediately. No further need to pretend.

This is like the only thing that makes me NOT want to unionize. I like my flight benefits. We're still the worlds cargo airline and until very recently were the worlds largest airline (in number of planes) - Delta + Northwest merger stole that title.

I hop a flight at least once a month. I gotta say though, most employees in my station don't know how to use the benefit.

FedEX 4 Life

This is like the only thing that makes me NOT want to unionize. I like my flight benefits. We're still the worlds cargo airline and until very recently were the worlds largest airline (in number of planes) - Delta + Northwest merger stole that title.

I hop a flight at least once a month. I gotta say though, most employees in my station don't know how to use the benefit.
Fedex is not an airline.

Jumpseat priviledges ended shortly after 9/11.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
While FedEx has a lot of aircraft, it is not technically an "airline". Both UPS and FedEx are what is known as systems integrators. While it's true that airline operations are a component of both companies they cannot be called "airlines" in the strictest sense of the word.

This is a crucial point, because Fred S wants everyone to think that FedEx is strictly an airline...which it isn't. This has allowed him to keep the undeserved RLA "Express Carrier" exemption, the means by which FedEx keeps us from going union and does whatever it wants to us.

This is one of the big reasons Fred hasn't taken away our flight benefits. Having them lends legitimacy to his claim that we actually are an airline and strengthens his iron grip over his workers.

UPS picks-up and delivers it's air products in essentially the same manner as FedEx, yet they aren't an "airline". Curious, isn't it?

Washu234

UPS picks-up and delivers it's air products in essentially the same manner as FedEx, yet they aren't an "airline". Curious, isn't it?

UPS is an airline, well part of it is. Supposedly the Airline part tried to be protected under RLA a few years ago... but I heard that from brownbailout so it might be bull****.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS is an airline, well part of it is. Supposedly the Airline part tried to be protected under RLA a few years ago... but I heard that from brownbailout so it might be bull****.

No, it is true--UPS tried to gain the same protections that it is now accusing FedEx of exploiting as an "unfair advantage".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No, it is true--UPS tried to gain the same protections that it is now accusing FedEx of exploiting as an "unfair advantage".

Yep, that's true. UPS tried to get re-classified under the RLA and failed. If UPS failed in it's bid, why should FedEx keep their exemption, since they move and deliver their air pkgs in essentially the same manner?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
While FedEx has a lot of aircraft, it is not technically an "airline". Both UPS and FedEx are what is known as systems integrators. While it's true that airline operations are a component of both companies they cannot be called "airlines" in the strictest sense of the word.

This is a crucial point, because Fred S wants everyone to think that FedEx is strictly an airline...which it isn't. This has allowed him to keep the undeserved RLA "Express Carrier" exemption, the means by which FedEx keeps us from going union and does whatever it wants to us.

This is one of the big reasons Fred hasn't taken away our flight benefits. Having them lends legitimacy to his claim that we actually are an airline and strengthens his iron grip over his workers.

UPS Airlines is definitely an airline. The UPS parent company isn't.

FedEx Express is an airline with a fleet of trucks. UPS is a trucking company with a fleet of airplanes.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

FedEx Express is an airline with a fleet of trucks. UPS is a trucking company with a fleet of airplanes.

The argument can be made that FedEx Express is an airline, but the FedEx parent company isn't.

Therefore, UPS is an airline too, also with a fleet of trucks. FedEx is a trucking company with a fleet of airplanes.

My logic? The original Federal Express might have been a true airline. The new version is the same operation that UPS runs. Over the years, both UPS and FedEx have evolved into Systems Integrators. That means that the parent company provides an "umbrella" of different services. FedEx Ground is analogous to UPS trucked services, FedEx Express is analogous to UPS Next Day Air, FedEx Freight is analogous to UPS Freight and on and on right down the line.

The bottom line is that both companies essentially do the same thing across the board. Why does Fred S deserve a special exemption when UPS does not? As others have pointed out, UPS tried to get re-classified under the RLA for years...and failed. Logically, FedEx should be classified in the same category as UPS.

Slobberman

Banned
UPS does not run their entities separately like Fedex therefore they cannot be classified under the RLA.Ive always thought that having all the divisions of Fedex run separate was a dumb idea but now I see why it might be worth it.Any move is a good move if you can keep the greedy Teamsters out.TRUST ME!

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

If we worked for an airline, we'd be union, therefore in Fredologic, we're not an airline but we used to be because of our jumpseat privileges. In more common sense terms...when's the last time you saw anyone pay for a SEAT on one of these planes??? Where are the hot flight attendants?