Spilling the Koolaid

Ghost in the Darkness

How to talk to a Teamster...how to discipline a teamster... don't be friends with a teamster...etc... etc. Its funny the stuff sups will tell you about what they learn at their training programs. Is it any wonder sups know so very little about anything? Their role is oddly similar to that of a kapo.

Indecisi0n

When they push me I just push back harder. If you know the rules and have common sense it's not hard. Once they understand they attack more bees with honey they change their tune towards you. It's the guys they know they can push around that really feel the brunt of their games.

When they push me I just push back harder. If you know the rules and have common sense it's not hard. Once they understand they attack more bees with honey they change their tune towards you. It's the guys they know they can push around that really feel the brunt of their games.

Sad but true.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How to talk to a Teamster...how to discipline a teamster... don't be friends with a teamster...etc... etc. Its funny the stuff sups will tell you about what they learn at their training programs. Is it any wonder sups know so very little about anything? Their role is oddly similar to that of a kapo.
Kapo's produce. That's the big difference.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
...unless it's a BA who can help sweep things under the rug for you.
3265441_f260.jpg

raceanoncr

A funny situation years ago.

A SENIOR driver and I were at checkout counter. The stupidvisor asked ME if I wanted to go home. The SENIOR driver exploded. "Why you ask HIM first? He's junior". (a side note....he and I were friends for long time before feeders and neither of us cared)

Stupidvisor quickly said, "We have to be careful. He'll file a grievance on ANYTHING".

Gee, thanks for the rep points.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Yeah, the Teamsters don't feed you any Kool-Aid

IMG_0285.GIF

cardboard-surfer

I'm been friends with many (PT) supes....they said the FT supes order them to be ass holes to the workers. One of the PT'ers responded, "I just can't do that, it's not in my nature. I can't be like that". He got the best numbers in the hub, near-zero misloads and second highest PPH (highest was worst with misloads). When he left we went back to worst PD. After all, "slow is fast", right?

We also get damaged fragile stuff from unload, glass fireplace fronts with a nice big bootprint and that fun tinkling sound inside (not that it's unloads fault; could've happened anywhere). Red-and-white bag from the clerk? Pile a couple 90 lb A/C boxes on top, feeder now smells like expensive perfume rest of the shift.

So UPS has to file tens of millions in claims and lose customers because supes have to be ass holes to the workers. Workers will get back at the company one way or another.

We're not trained to "not be friends" with the hourlies. Its just that its a lot easier for many FT/PT sups to be nothing but 'bosses' as the key is to not play favorites. Developing a friendly relationship with a worker will naturally lead to a sense of favoritism; the hard part is still being able to dish out duties/assignments/orders/etc fairly.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm been friends with many (PT) supes....they said the FT supes order them to be ass holes to the workers. One of the PT'ers responded, "I just can't do that, it's not in my nature. I can't be like that". He got the best numbers in the hub, near-zero misloads and second highest PPH (highest was worst with misloads). When he left we went back to worst PD. After all, "slow is fast", right?

We also get damaged fragile stuff from unload, glass fireplace fronts with a nice big bootprint and that fun tinkling sound inside (not that it's unloads fault; could've happened anywhere). Red-and-white bag from the clerk? Pile a couple 90 lb A/C boxes on top, feeder now smells like expensive perfume rest of the shift.

So UPS has to file tens of millions in claims and lose customers because supes have to be ass holes to the workers. Workers will get back at the company one way or another.
I've never been "ordered" to be an a** hole to anyone. The older guys tend to go a lot more over the top when it comes to hitting people with warning letters and terminations. It's a different mindset. PT Supes need to stand up a little bit.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yes, because most Teamsters don't want to work with the company. It's the mentality of us against them that breeds this type if ignorant training. How's about they learn the contract they agreed to, much like we learned the methods we agreed to follow.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We're not trained to "not be friends" with the hourlies. Its just that its a lot easier for many FT/PT sups to be nothing but 'bosses' as the key is to not play favorites. Developing a friendly relationship with a worker will naturally lead to a sense of favoritism; the hard part is still being able to dish out duties/assignments/orders/etc fairly.
You can separate work and free time. It's not easy, but it's not difficult. I spent holidays with some of my drivers when I lived far from family. But everybody involved knew there was a line as soon as we were on UPS property. When there is mutual respect between both parties lines generally do not get crossed.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I've never been "ordered" to be an a** hole to anyone. The older guys tend to go a lot more over the top when it comes to hitting people with warning letters and terminations. It's a different mindset. PT Supes need to stand up a little bit.
The problem is most sups make up stuff and don't follow the contract. The company and members agreed to it, shouldn't the company train you guys on its contents so we don't have to file grievances? That would imply the company is actually interested in adhering to it, I know.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Yes, because most Teamsters don't want to work with the company. It's the mentality of us against them that breeds this type if ignorant training. How's about they learn the contract they agreed to, much like we learned the methods we agreed to follow.
Whenever I do a methods or annual ride my suggestions to work on always go ignored. So I get to ignore the contract right?