Spilling the Koolaid

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The problem is most sups make up stuff and don't follow the contract. The company and members agreed to it, shouldn't the company train you guys on its contents so we don't have to file grievances? That would imply the company is actually interested in adhering to it, I know.
Supervisors should make an effort to understand it. But just as many drivers don't understand it, yet think they do. Almost all of the grievances I have been involved with can be fixed in the office. But too many guys rush to the grievance. That creates bad blood.

I like to think I'm a pretty fair guy, I'll work with people as much as I can. But if you constantly file on me instead of coming to me and giving me an opportunity to fix the issue, there is going to be bad blood.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Whenever I do a methods or annual ride my suggestions to work on always go ignored. So I get to ignore the contract right?
If you knew the contract you'd be able to use it to enforce them. A manager/sup with knowledge of the contract can shutdown most grievances. Progressive discipline should be as a tool to change a behavior, in your case, failure to follow instructions. What sups lack is documenting and follow up to do this. It's easier for you to try and fire someone outright than actually go through the motions outlined in the contract and UPS policy. That's why you guys waste so much time and nothing sticks.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Supervisors should make an effort to understand it. But just as many drivers don't understand it, yet think they do. Almost all of the grievances I have been involved with can be fixed in the office. But too many guys rush to the grievance. That creates bad blood.

I like to think I'm a pretty fair guy, I'll work with people as much as I can. But if you constantly file on me instead of coming to me and giving me an opportunity to fix the issue, there is going to be bad blood.
If they are basless grievances, it doesn't matter on what they file on, much like your warning letters. I can file a grievance every day on sups working, doesn't mean it's true.

For the same reason members file is the same reason you guys write people up, ignorance of policy or the contract. It's also why I'm left alone and do my job, because when I file, they are as good as gold.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If you knew the contract you'd be able to use it to enforce them. A manager/sup with knowledge of the contract can shutdown most grievances. Progressive discipline should be as a tool to change a behavior, in your case, failure to follow instructions. What sups lack is documenting and follow up to do this. It's easier for you to try and fire someone outright than actually go through the motions outlined in the contract and UPS policy. That's why you guys waste so much time and nothing sticks.
I don't waste any time. If I'm going through discipline with someone I'm going to be sure it sticks.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't waste any time. If I'm going through discipline with someone I'm going to be sure it sticks.
Then why are complaining about not getting your drivers to follow methods or safety related issues? I don't spend as much time as you guys do on 40yo drivers that I did on my 12yo kids to do something the way I tell them.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If they are basless grievances, it doesn't matter on what they file on, much like your warning letters. I can file a grievance every day on sups working, doesn't mean it's true.

For the same reason members file is the same reason you guys write people up, ignorance of policy or the contract. It's also why I'm left alone and do my job, because when I file, they are as good as gold.
It doesn't matter if they are baseless and get thrown out. It creates bad blood. Some guys try so hard to be "Gotcha!" guys and wonder why management tries to get them on things.

I'll respect a guy who files on something legit any day. You screwed up, I didn't fix it, you got what you deserved. I won't respect a guy who does it to try and one up someone.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm not complaining. If they fail to follow the methods they get a warning letter. If they still ignore it I will move to suspension.
So I ask you again, why do you have drivers that still work there, not following your instruction? If you go all the way, and as you say you make sure it sticks, you shouldn't have drivers disobeying.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Was just thinking, to hell with methods and safety, most sups won't even take the time to document progressive discipline on attendance and think they can just fire or write people up for taking July 3rd off. Attendance around here alone would cause 10% of the drivers to shape up if management took the time to do it right.

Ghost in the Darkness

Yeah, the Teamsters don't feed you any Kool-Aid

Ask any union member what they think about about the Teamsters handling of the pension, that should tell you about how much koolaid they drink.

Just saying I've had a few sups along the way that treated us with respect and not like something they have stuck to the bottom of their shoe. Things always seem to run smoother when they do.