Split-shift

I'm a cover driver, the lowest seniority. I came from pre-load, still do pre-load every day (when not driving... which is every day). Lately local sort has been having staffing problems, and they have been asking me to come in. At first I was happy to help, but it's gotten rather ridiculous now. I work another job after I get off pre-load, so if I work local I'm getting about 3 hours of sleep. My question is can they force me? I want to be someone they can count on, when really in need, but not a door mat.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm a cover driver, the lowest seniority. I came from pre-load, still do pre-load every day (when not driving... which is every day). Lately local sort has been having staffing problems, and they have been asking me to come in. At first I was happy to help, but it's gotten rather ridiculous now. I work another job after I get off pre-load, so if I work local I'm getting about 3 hours of sleep. My question is can they force me? I want to be someone they can count on, when really in need, but not a door mat.
Nope I don't believe they can force you.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You're lucky. Man up and drink some energy drinks or coffee. That's the problem with the world right now. People want everything easy and not willing to sacrifice something as simple as "sleep" for success. "Sleep" will always be there. You'll get plenty when you're dead.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

This answer is probably covered under your supplement, so you'd be better off asking your BA or steward.

That being said, on days that you drive you should probably not be forced to work local sort. On days that you're laid off from cover driving due to seniority/routes being cut, then you must report to local sort unless there's some language in your supplement stating otherwise.

What is your "home" sort when you're not cover driving? Is it preload or a hub sort? You can't really be forced to work a double shift.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, they can't force you to work both shifts. They probably thought they were doing you a favor and didn't know about your other job.

Home sort is the pre-load. I dont really mind doing local after driving....already on OT by that point, and at a much better rate obviously.

I don't know though. They are telling me I have to. Typically it goes like this: they'll ask me if I want to volunteer, I'll say no. Then they'll say pretty please they really need someone, and I'll say Im not volunteering, but if you tell me to be there I will.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you are being forced, they have to pay you your cover driving rate, if you volunteer, you get your PT rate (which should be OT).

PT Car Washer

If you are working doubles on another sort you should be paid your OT sort pay. Don't let them short change you by trying to pay you a lesser amount.

Overpaid Union Thug

In my supplement (southern) TCDs have to work their regular shift when not driving. You can't be forced to double shift and even if you want to you might be risking violating DOT laws if you are needed to drive the next day.

Sent using BrownCafe App