Spoiled Customers and Sob Stories

Nolimitz

I've had a few tips but never from a cust getting a phone going on vacation.... The tips have been from reg cust's that get decent service and appreciate what we do. they also have not asked for special treatment.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had an auto parts store in the center of the town I delivered that made a "deal" with a center manager if he could get his stuff first when I hit town then UPS could put a letterbox out front of his business. So every day I would break trace and drive into town to drop off his parts then drive back to the edge of town and start my normal delivery. It was that way for years until I retired and they totally redesigned my route for the guy who replaced me. Not long after I retired I noticed that the UPS letterbox had been replaced with a FedEx box. Apparently the parts store owner didn't like waiting for his turn.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
My consistent response to these requests is "FedEx sells this service, it's called Appointment Delivery, and I refuse to give it away. My ETA is ......" Remarkably, the requests have dwindled to nothing. Fight fire with fire.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
While I do try to accommodate customers with "special requests", I do not meet customers on road as they invariably either arrive late to the meet point or change their mind and don't show up at all.

A few years ago our OMS gave my personal cell phone (without my permission) to a customer who then called me to see if they could meet me on road. I did not break off or change my schedule---I told them where I would be at an approximate time and told them to meet me there---I did let the OMS clerk know in no uncertain terms that she was to never do that again.

As was stated above, they pay for delivery by a certain time----if they wanted it earlier they should have paid for the upgraded service.
From that point I would make sure to give OMS' personal cell number out to any customer who stopped me to ask about a package.

JoeVser

Thursday morning, as I was finishing up fine-sorting my deliveries for the route, one of the CSA's came to me with pkg trace paperwork saying that a particular customer was leaving for vacation at 2pm and wanted me to make sure their phone was delivered in time before they left. This was a 2-Day shipment, residential, giving it a before 8pm delivery deadline. It was down a state highway a pretty good way off the route, and I had planned to hit the stop around 4pm before doing the bulk of my pickups. We're talking about a Thursday here, the day when MANY businesses are anxiously awaiting pay checks, and I try to get all of those delivered well before the 3pm Standard Overnight deadline. Asking a driver to go out of his way for a residential stop when he already has several business and in-town stops to make really puts a hitch in his giddy-up. The customer wanted a specified ETA and even left a phone number to call letting them know where I was and when I was coming. I had to change my route up a good bit to accommodate this one spoiled customer and at first had thought to call and have them meet me in town to save some time. Long story short, I delivered the package just before my break around 12, potentially jeopardizing my 3pm deliveries and going well out of my way to do so.

How many of you get these spoiled "me me me" customers, and how do you respond? I understand everyone wants their package NOW, and I do all I can to satisfy customers, but where do you draw the line? What if other customers catch wind of people doing this and decide they want to start asking for pkgs early too? You could have several customers calling in with every sob story imaginable just so they can be catered to when they want.

The way I see it, (and I should have voiced this), you pay for 2-Day Resi shipping, you get your stuff by 8pm, or at least AFTER the others who paid for the priority shipping, especially if it's at a stop that's out of the way.
Have you ever noticed that they are all leaving the country? I didn't realize this many customers go overseas all the time????

Whats in the Box

My consistent response to these requests is "FedEx sells this service, it's called Appointment Delivery, and I refuse to give it away. My ETA is ......" Remarkably, the requests have dwindled to nothing. Fight fire with fire.

My new standard reply for an ETA for a residential non-P1 packages by dispatcher or CSA is from 1031 to 2000.

CJinx

"I'll pass the request along to the service provider for your area but I cannot make any guarantees that they'll be able to honor your request. I suggest you check out the Fedex Delivery Manager on fedex.com; for a small fee, you can designate a 2-hour delivery window..."

Our CSPs go batty whenever they have an appt delivery. lol

R

RuralRoute

When they ask my eta on this stuff I just say it will be there by 8pm. Have you worked here long? You sound like old school. When employees actually cared. But, they were treated fairly back then.

Been with the company 10 years, started at 18 fresh out of high school at my local ramp (BNA). Worked through the different positions and then transferred to a station a little south to be a courier. I just do my job and try to steer clear of all the political BS. I may be underpaid and overworked but as long as the customers are getting taken care of, I'm good.