Stairs

over9five

Staff member
My boss called her back and supported my position.

Wow, that's rare. I was just going to post that the first thing that will happen is the customer will call and complain. Then your center manager will put his tail between his legs and tell you to put the packages wherever the [-]idiot[/-] customer wants.

Used&AbusedwithNoPrivacy

Loyal_Teamster12
That is how I handle resis.

I had a resi that received 6-8 boxes of Nestle's liquid stuff (the stuff that cancer patients get when they are on chemo). When it was nice out, I went up the front, wooden stairs, across the wooden deck and wheeled it into the house. When it snowed, I told the owner that I would not pull the cart up the steps or walk on the deck because of the ice. She called and complained. My boss called her back and supported my position.

She bitched the next 3 or 4 deliveries. Then, one day, as I was coming up the driveway, the garage door opened in advance and I just wheeled right through the garage and into the kitchen. The owner apologized for arguing with me and calling to complain. She said that over the holidays, someone else slipped and fell off their deck and broke their leg (which is what I said I was worried about.) I told her that I was sorry to hear that and that it is rare that the worse case scenario plays out and that I hoped the person that fell healed well.

I felt bad arguing with her. Her husband was dying of cancer. Hard to tell someone in that position that you are helping them avoid a lawsuit.

You did the right thing.

Used&AbusedwithNoPrivacy

Loyal_Teamster12
I'm sorry, my job only requires me to bring it in the front door.

Not all stops are created equal. Everyone has been asked to go above and beyond at times but 30 dollars an hour buys a lot of beyond. Service is what separates us from the Riff Raff and we all know that. I do not know what kind of drivers you guys are but 30 pounds is not that much. Heck you still have another 40 before help and another 120 before our limit. Any driver who has been on their route long enough could tell exactly where everything goes. I have business's that only get paper through UPS cause I will wheel it to their store room, and other places get surgical gloves that I take to their medical office, and so on. Now if people are rude that is a separate issue but for normal customers there is nothing wrong with showing them why it is that they should always choose UPS. And for 20 year veterans, I do not want to hear it. You have the seniority to choose a different route if the dentist office on yours is to difficult to get delivered.

After all, its all about customer service and going above and beyond expectations. Thats why we are the best.