Standoff!

ideliver2u67

20 Down
Not me. Bitten twice, once a pit grabbed my jacket and just nicked my arm. No big deal. The other was during peak, first time delivering here, walked up to a back door, and out from behind the house was a dog door. Out fly 2 shepards, backed me against the truck and 1 bit my hand, management came out, as well as 2 state troopers, a sheriff, and animal control. Was told by my boss i was ok, as she bandaged me up. Got to a medical center on route later on, they told me i needed stitches, and they did so. My boss was furious with me. But no loss time. Still got charged though.

ideliver2u67

20 Down
basically an accident i guess. Called in 2 dog bites in a year, and was concidered a repeat offender. Had to watch the safety movies every couple months for a year and it went in my file. what a joke.

ideliver2u67

20 Down
Oh yea, but the best are the online assessments we have to do. 10 minutes to score a 100 % on 10 questions. I am sorry, just cant do it, I am just a dumb truck driver. Usually takes me at least 20 minutes. hehe

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Sorry Sober but IE called and said your bulkhead door was open way too long at that stop and all knowing telematics decided you left it open while you walked that stop off. This picture is their proof! You're fired!

Seriously though, some of the nicest dogs I run into on my route are pitbulls. We even had one customer that got a lot of pkgs for his home business put "dog is friendly " on his labels so any different driver wouldn't be afraid of his pitbull, and she really was the sweetest thing.

I had one house that had 2 very friendly pitbulls. One day I pull up and as I approached the house they were jumping on me and licking me. I saw what I thought was a rag or a mophead laying by their door. As I got closer I realized it was the neighbors little yorkie. His throat had been ripped out and there was blood everywhere! I just thought "Nice doggie."

Pits might be friendly to people over all, but dogs are unpredictable. Two pits once came into my yard and pulled out the colin of one of my favorite outside cats. Of course the cat didnt have a chance because pits are quiet hunters.

Unlike other dogs, pits are stealth type hunters. Whereas most dogs would bark at pray or a chase, pitbulls make no barking or sounds when in pursuit.

Me and my Gf where walking up to the corner store one day. On the way back we passed a Pit and his owner. The pit was at the side of the house while the owner was on his cell by the front door not paying attention.

We passed the house and I got this feeling, like eyes in the back of your head. I looked back and the dog was charging right at us. When we or I go walking in my hood, I always carry a heavey rod with me. This rod is to fend of dogs. I've used it to fend off many dogs, strays and owned. If that pit would've come any closer I would and killed it.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Maybe its just all the news headlines I have seen. But I am scared to death of Pitbulls. I have had a couple on previous routes and none have been the kind where you wanna chance a friendly pat on the head, without losing an arm. My daughter just baught a blue Pit from Alaska, and picked it up from the airport on Friday, so maybe my fear of them will change as i get acquainted with the breed. HOPEFULLY!!!

Socialize, socialize, socialize.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Yeah! When their pitbulls maul some kid, the first words out of the owners mouth are always, "He is sooo sweet, he'd never attack someone!".

That's an easy one. The owners failed to do their part. All dogs are wild at heart and need limits. When owners fail to provide the necessary limits, tragedies can occur in any breed. Labradors are, according to the last UPS pcm I was given on dog safety, the number 1 people biter in the USA. Pits, Rotts and the like are more newsworthy.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That's an easy one. The owners failed to do their part. All dogs are wild at heart and need limits. When owners fail to provide the necessary limits, tragedies can occur in any breed. Labradors are, according to the last UPS pcm I was given on dog safety, the number 1 people biter in the USA. Pits, Rotts and the like are more newsworthy.
There are some labs on rtes here that I wouldn't trust to turn my back on.

klein

Für Meno :)
Our City did the right thing a few years back. Banned pitbulls alltogether !
Any new ones are not allowed and won't be able to be licensed.

We had enough of thier attacks. Something had to be done !

fethrs

You do realize it's not just the dogs, but the people who raise them...that to me seems a bit paranoid...but that's Canada.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You do realize it's not just the dogs, but the people who raise them...that to me seems a bit paranoid...but that's Canada.
Pit Bulls have been banned all over the US. The military has banned them from base housing at quite a few bases.

klein

Nope, it's a city bylaw. Outside the city, you can have them.
Hey, we have a chicken dispute going on.
Been a bylaw, you can't raise farm animals (including chickens within city limits).
Now some cities are allowing chickens back.

The next city to the west of us, doesn't allow cell phones while driving, and have a curfew on kids under 16, to be indoors after 10 pm or midnight.

Up to the city, don't like it, move.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think if the dogs are going to be outlawed the owners should be as well. Dogs do what dogs do, it's f88888 idiot owners that don't control their animals that cause problems.

Pits have not been outlawed here.

Last edited:

klein

Pit bull ban begins

Last Updated: Monday, August 29, 2005 | 1:47 PM ET

CBC News

The country's first-ever province-wide ban on pit bulls took effect Monday in Ontario, and breeders wasted no time in announcing a constitutional challenge to the ban. Lawyer Clayton Ruby called the law "too vague" and "overly broad," and said the legislation lists a number of breeds that are "substantially similar" to pit bulls.

The ban makes it illegal to breed pit bulls in Ontario or bring the dogs into the province. Dogs already in Ontario are allowed to stay as long as they are sterilized, leashed and muzzled in public.
Registered purebreds are exempt from sterilization as long as they continue to participate in authorized dog shows.
Puppies born after Nov. 27, 2005 must be shipped out of the province, given to a research facility or destroyed.
Ontario breeders argue the ban violates breeders' constitutional rights. Hundreds of supporters of pit bull-type dogs gathered in front of the provincial legislature to protest on Sunday.
Other supporters, including the American Staffordshire Club of Canada, say that Ontario's law is so vague and unscientific that it will affect many animals that shouldn't be banned.
The law forbids Staffordshire bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, American pit bull terriers and any other dog with "an appearance and physical characteristics substantially similar to any of those dogs."
Last year, Ontario's attorney general Michael Bryant introduced the ban after a spate of vicious attacks on children, adults and pets by pit bulls.
In a widely-reported case, Toronto police fired more than a dozen bullets into two pit bulls that had turned on the man who was walking them as a favour for a friend. In another in London, Ont., a woman and her seven-year-old son watched in horror as a pit bull latched onto her husband's arm as he tried to keep the family puppy out of the dog's reach.
While some breeders are fighting the ban, others are leaving the province.
"It means I'm going to be moving out of Ontario," said Ann Mathews. Mathews has been breeding purebred American Staffordshire terriers for seven years. "It means I'll be leaving my three grandchildren, my five children and moving to a province that isn't so arrogant and isn't so stupid about the laws."