Start in Warehouse or Seasonal?

Hi everyone -

I am looking to have a driving career with UPS and am looking for advice on a few things:

Should I take a job in the warehouse and see how it goes?

Or should I take a shot at doing seasonal hoping O get a permanent position?

Also, is UPS requiring vaccine mandates for all employees at this point?

Any advice helps. Thanks,

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Start in the warehouse, learn what goes on there to better understand the bigger picture should you become a driver.

Hi everyone -

I am looking to have a driving career with UPS and am looking for advice on a few things:

Apparently UPS hires anyone to drive as long as you have a drivers license unlike Fedex. If your a good driver I would apply for driver for the pay and full time. Starting off at warehouse would be a waste of time since you get less than 20 hours per week. You have to keep in mind there is a UPS warehouse in almost each town so you always going to get less than 20 hours because they so many warehouse they pay more for lease the warehouses than they do workers. These places like UPS, fed ex and amazon offer little pay for hard labor. If your starting off like lets say your a high school graduate I would choose a partime job at UPS but realize you could make the same amount flipping burgers at Mcdonalds or KFC and get the same amount since mininum wage is at 12.00$ and expect to go to 13.00$ by start of 2023. UPS AND AMAZON have decided to stick with 15.00$ near mininum wage and the work load for that wage isn't worth it.
But based some research and videos UPS and fedex drivers get heavy packages like sofas to deliver and amazon only delivers small to medium boxes only since most of there large boxes is delivered thru white boxes by separate contractors. So your going to be in for a work out with UPS and Fedex. But with UPS they pay around 23.00$ per hour compared to the competition of amazon only offering 17.50$ for delivery.

Hi everyone -

also realize you may not last thru the winter season because of snow and icy driving conditions that will most likely cause you to quit or get fired because you may not be able to show up for work.

Hi everyone -

You would be considered an off the street hire and the contract requires UPS to hire 6 from inside (the warehouse as you call it) to every off the street hire. An off the street hire gets one chance while an inside PT employee can try every 6 months to qualify and goes back to his PT job if he DQ's. Very few seasonals are called back after Peak and if they do it will be late Spring.

takesteady

Starting off at warehouse would be a waste of time since you get less than 20 hours per week. You have to keep in mind there is a UPS warehouse in almost each town so you always going to get less than 20 hours because they so many warehouse they pay more for lease the warehouses than they do workers
Nobody in my hub is working less than 20 hours a week unless they have a lot of seniority and really want to. It's highly unlikely a seasonal rookie is going to be working less than 20, let alone 35 hours, as we enter peak. I'm not quite sure what your deal is, but I suspect the rest of the strange claims in your posts are misinfo as well.

You would be considered an off the street hire and the contract requires UPS to hire 6 from inside (the warehouse as you call it) to every off the street hire. An off the street hire gets one chance while an inside PT employee can try every 6 months to qualify and goes back to his PT job if he DQ's. Very few seasonals are called back after Peak and if they do it will be late Spring.
Makes sense. Any word about having to be vaccinated? Does working part time require you to work morning/evening/both?

Im trying to make some moves and looking at UPS to be one of those moves.

Hi everyone -

Yes you got to have the flu shot, be vaccinated for covid and for monkeypox

That monkey pox vaccine hurts like hell
Good luck buddy

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Best to get the lay of the land before committing your life to a very thankless company.
Work inside.
As of Oct 1st , all jobs are temporary.
The company does not have to keep you on after Peak ( Christmas Rush ) unless they want to.
And your 30 days to secure your position will only start after peak is over.

Makes sense. Any word about having to be vaccinated? Does working part time require you to work morning/evening/both?

Im trying to make some moves and looking at UPS to be one of those moves.
NO FOR SUCH A LOW BOTTOM JOB NO VACCINE IS REQUIRED. Yes they are hiring permanent employees. They offered me a permanent position but said it would 20 hours or less for 15.50$. You can pick up extra shifts if they available but max hours you could get is 30 hours even during peak.
So basically you go to that location called a hub cause it basically a small warehouse and do a shift for 3 hour or 4 if your in luck and than you go home. You get 5 working days. You are guaranteed 2 hours of paid work even if there is no work but you usually get 3 hours most of the time. You can pick extra shifts during peak with big gaps in the shift like waiting 2 hours.
Some people on this website are veteran UPS employees who do not realize UPS has shifted its hiring process since COVID and the raise of minimum wages have increased to 12.50$ in most states like maryland while sadly federal minimum wage is at 7.25$ per hour which has led companies like UPS to keep is low hourly rate. With the minimum wage being raised in most states and a lot of veteran employees quitting during COVID companies like UPS have relaxed on its hiring practices and one of the major reasons is the fact that UPS doesn't plan to raise it hourly wage while other warehouse companies have set the hourly wages at 20.00$ per hour for warehouse workers.

Best to get the lay of the land before committing your life to a very thankless company.
Work inside.
As of Oct 1st , all jobs are temporary.
The company does not have to keep you on after Peak ( Christmas Rush ) unless they want to.
And your 30 days to secure your position will only start after peak is over.
i was just offered a permanent position about a week ago. It all depends on how fast you apply for a driving position. If you wait until november or decemeber your going to be seasonal but if you apply now its permanent since you qualify before the start of the new year when they start laying off seasonal workers which leaves no time to become permanent.

Nobody in my hub is working less than 20 hours a week unless they have a lot of seniority and really want to. It's highly unlikely a seasonal rookie is going to be working less than 20, let alone 35 hours, as we enter peak. I'm not quite sure what your deal is, but I suspect the rest of the strange claims in your posts are misinfo as well.
i'm going to assume you live out in the country where there aren't that many UPS warehouses but in maryland around baltimore there is a UPS warehouse in each town similar to finding a home depot.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Yeah, and they didn't mention benefits at all in their argument so there's that to consider also.