Start in Warehouse or Seasonal?

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
I appreciate everyone's input on the matter, it helps a lot
Start in the hub, you have a better shot at staying on after peak. You will also have a better shot at being a driver as well instead of going the seasonal route. You don't need to be vaccinated for any position at UPS that are in building. Good luck.

Cowboy Mac

NO FOR SUCH A LOW BOTTOM JOB NO VACCINE IS REQUIRED. Yes they are hiring permanent employees. They offered me a permanent position but said it would 20 hours or less for 15.50$. You can pick up extra shifts if they available but max hours you could get is 30 hours even during peak.
So basically you go to that location called a hub cause it basically a small warehouse and do a shift for 3 hour or 4 if your in luck and than you go home. You get 5 working days. You are guaranteed 2 hours of paid work even if there is no work but you usually get 3 hours most of the time. You can pick extra shifts during peak with big gaps in the shift like waiting 2 hours.
Some people on this website are veteran UPS employees who do not realize UPS has shifted its hiring process since COVID and the raise of minimum wages have increased to 12.50$ in most states like maryland while sadly federal minimum wage is at 7.25$ per hour which has led companies like UPS to keep is low hourly rate. With the minimum wage being raised in most states and a lot of veteran employees quitting during COVID companies like UPS have relaxed on its hiring practices and one of the major reasons is the fact that UPS doesn't plan to raise it hourly wage while other warehouse companies have set the hourly wages at 20.00$ per hour for warehouse workers.
You have no clue what you are talking about. Part time employees are guaranteed 3 1/2 hours a day.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Ups is in desperate need for employees. I’m sure once your seasonal gig is up they’ll call you back. Job isn’t for everyone though. So good luck.

Box Handler of Dallas

NO FOR SUCH A LOW BOTTOM JOB NO VACCINE IS REQUIRED. Yes they are hiring permanent employees. They offered me a permanent position but said it would 20 hours or less for 15.50$. You can pick up extra shifts if they available but max hours you could get is 30 hours even during peak.
So basically you go to that location called a hub cause it basically a small warehouse and do a shift for 3 hour or 4 if your in luck and than you go home. You get 5 working days. You are guaranteed 2 hours of paid work even if there is no work but you usually get 3 hours most of the time. You can pick extra shifts during peak with big gaps in the shift like waiting 2 hours.
I work preload and I get 30 hours at least just in my 5 day work week and it's not even peak. When you pick up shifts, you need to be strategic and make them work for you financially. Pick up an extra day so that you get the 6th punch. Come peak, work 7 days to get the double time on the 7th punch. You can make all the money you want if you know how to make it happen. If you finish in your area early, go help in another area. Need some extra money? File a grievance on supervisors working.
Our night shift does run about 2.5-3.5 hours a day. If it's under, you ask for your 3.5 guarantee. The supervisors either have to find you work or pay you the guarantee.

Dewdewbrown

Apparently UPS hires anyone to drive as long as you have a drivers license unlike Fedex. If your a good driver I would apply for driver for the pay and full time. Starting off at warehouse would be a waste of time since you get less than 20 hours per week. You have to keep in mind there is a UPS warehouse in almost each town so you always going to get less than 20 hours because they so many warehouse they pay more for lease the warehouses than they do workers. These places like UPS, fed ex and amazon offer little pay for hard labor. If your starting off like lets say your a high school graduate I would choose a partime job at UPS but realize you could make the same amount flipping burgers at Mcdonalds or KFC and get the same amount since mininum wage is at 12.00$ and expect to go to 13.00$ by start of 2023. UPS AND AMAZON have decided to stick with 15.00$ near mininum wage and the work load for that wage isn't worth it.
But based some research and videos UPS and fedex drivers get heavy packages like sofas to deliver and amazon only delivers small to medium boxes only since most of there large boxes is delivered thru white boxes by separate contractors. So your going to be in for a work out with UPS and Fedex. But with UPS they pay around 23.00$ per hour compared to the competition of amazon only offering 17.50$ for delivery.
You absolutely know nothing of what you are talking about lol. Never post anything about UPS. Ever. 23 an hour?? Thats for starters bud..

Dewdewbrown

i'm going to assume you live out in the country where there aren't that many UPS warehouses but in maryland around baltimore there is a UPS warehouse in each town similar to finding a home depot.
Dude shut up. You know nothing about ups. You never worked there...and another thing, there is not one single up warehouse in the US. They are called hubs! Nothing is stored there but info notices and old piss bottles.

FozziesDeliveries

Absolutely start in the warehouse! I feel this will give you an edge when you go to qualify to be a driver and it will give you respect too for the part timers because you will get to see what they put up with. You will get a feel for what the company expects from you too. Many off the street hires that try to qualify don't understand the sense of urgency you need in this job.

Also if you get to load trucks i feel this helps because you will see how the trucks are laid out and supposed to be loaded. You will learn how to read the labels and how to arrange the bulk and bigger packages. When you go into driving you need to know how the packages should be loaded in the truck so you know where to look when you make a delivery. Also you need to keep your truck organized through the day and keep moving your packages forward. I feel like working preload first and loading trucks before i went into driving helped me with all these things.

If you start in the warehouse, when peak comes you can sign up to be a driver helper. So you will work your normal shift in the morning then have a few hours down time and then you meet a driver out on their route and go with them for 3 or 4 hours and deliver the packages while they arrange their truck between stops. This pays more per hour but can also help give you an idea what its like driving. Let your driver know you want to become a driver and he/she can give you tips and tell you more like how it is.

BeachBoy

Some people on this website are veteran UPS employees who do not realize UPS has shifted its hiring process since COVID and the raise of minimum wages have increased to 12.50$ in most states like maryland while sadly federal minimum wage is at 7.25$ per hour which has led companies like UPS to keep is low hourly rate. With the minimum wage being raised in most states and a lot of veteran employees quitting during COVID companies like UPS have relaxed on its hiring practices and one of the major reasons is the fact that UPS doesn't plan to raise it hourly wage while other warehouse companies have set the hourly wages at 20.00$ per hour for warehouse workers.
Depends where you are and what you do. 5 years PT and I make $23.50 hr and non-peak work about 50 hours a week. It goes way up during peak, and I don't double shift.

How do you get 50 hrs/wk without double shifting and non-peak? I’m lucky to get 30
yeah that didn't make sense. I mean even if he worked 6 days and got the full 5 hour shift for each shift the max he would get is 30 hours but I think amazon is the only one that flexs up to 5 hours in some warehouses. He would have to be a full time manager on a contract salary in order to avoid doing double shifting.

Absolutely start in the warehouse! I feel this will give you an edge when you go to qualify to be a driver and it will give you respect too for the part timers because you will get to see what they put up with. You will get a feel for what the company expects from you too. Many off the street hires that try to qualify don't understand the sense of urgency you need in this job.

Also if you get to load trucks i feel this helps because you will see how the trucks are laid out and supposed to be loaded. You will learn how to read the labels and how to arrange the bulk and bigger packages. When you go into driving you need to know how the packages should be loaded in the truck so you know where to look when you make a delivery. Also you need to keep your truck organized through the day and keep moving your packages forward. I feel like working preload first and loading trucks before i went into driving helped me with all these things.

If you start in the warehouse, when peak comes you can sign up to be a driver helper. So you will work your normal shift in the morning then have a few hours down time and then you meet a driver out on their route and go with them for 3 or 4 hours and deliver the packages while they arrange their truck between stops. This pays more per hour but can also help give you an idea what its like driving. Let your driver know you want to become a driver and he/she can give you tips and tell you more like how it is.
I applied tried to apply at fedex and Amazon as a delivery driver, they require commercial driving experience even if you don't have a CDL, they require work background driving with references that include name and phone number.
Your suggestion that I start off as a warehouse worker to become a delivery driver doesn't make sense.
What they require for a delivery driver is to have a clean driving record and to drive quickly to the delivery locations without getting lost or having a crash while driving a large van. Many people can't drive a large van even if they have a regular driver license.
If you can drive a large van without running over things or crashing into cars and are familiar with the roads than you should apply for a delivery position however, if you suck at driving and have never driven a white box size truck size van than you shouldn't apply for the delivery position cause you gonna end up crashing it and getting fired. For instance if you miss an exit and get lost your going to be screwed around trying to move around with a huge delivery truck trying to get to a location to either pick up the packages or deliver them. And people are usually waiting for the delivery driver esp. business locations.
UPS doesn't care if you can lift boxes, that's why they have the low paying job for those warehouse workers. Delivery driver requires being able to drive not being able to lift boxes.

bro either you can drive a large commercial delivery van or you can't. If you never have driven a commercial van than you shouldn't apply for such a job. If you do know how to drive a delivery van than it would be ridiculous applying for a warehouse position in order to drive a van which you already know how to. I think UPS does train people on how to use a delivery van in that case than for the training than you should but you would be better off at renting a uhaul box truck and practicing driving on it.