Starting as preloader soon.

jkais3r

Today, got a tour and watched a crap load of "educational" videos. Believe I was paid for it though, so who cares. And WOW, I wish I was unloading. With the extendable belts that looks easy as hell. But I'm taking over a loader who is switching to unloading.

They don't know how to utilize the space in the package car or how to create a load that doesn't end up in the middle of the floor after the first turn. Don't even get me started on the wasted time stacking out packages because they don't know how to work the belt.

Can you get started on this? I am always looking for tips to become better. Ive only been loading a little over two weeks. Here are my basic strats. Multiple big packages go on the floor because they take up too much shelf space. I had been loading chronologically on the shelf, but now I am now trying to load more vertically so that a a 3000 package would be in the top corner of the truck while a 3100 package would be in the bottom corner.

I really do wonder how the drivers do it. I dont know what the routes look like and how much time they have to spend sorting things out. They come in and rearrange things before leaving, but its not like the can rearrange the whole truck (or can they?). I guess that things become easier as the day goes on because shelf space increases and they can space things out the way they want.

curiousbrain

Today, got a tour and watched a crap load of "educational" videos. Believe I was paid for it though, so who cares. And WOW, I wish I was unloading. With the extendable belts that looks easy as hell. But I'm taking over a loader who is switching to unloading.

Your attitude of "I was paid for it, so who cares" speaks volumes. Tread carefully, sir; and consider very carefully why you took this job. When UPS drums you out because "it was too hard", remember that you thought "... so who cares".

jkais3r

Your attitude of "I was paid for it, so who cares" speaks volumes. Tread carefully, sir; and consider very carefully why you took this job. When UPS drums you out because "it was too hard", remember that you thought "... so who cares".

It's the easiest job I've ever had sir. Maybe it's your feelings that "It's too hard" But all you do is stand there and occasionally walk about 10-20 steps. What's everyone bit**in about now?

menotyou

bella amicizia
You are new. Just wait. Peak is coming. When you are loading 5 trucks for 7 hours, let up know how easy it is. When you are on Art. 7 for misloads and your job is being threatened, let us know how easy it is.

jbg77

Load package cars, sort belts, unload trailers, scan packages, etc. Fast paced and hard on the body. Isnt for everyone but worth it for the benefits.

FlaccidEgo

I started as a "preloader" a couple of weeks ago, I am now loading 4 trucks. I had 1.5 days of training/easing me in before being let loose loading 3 vans and it took me 2 weeks to get up to pace, but then I'm a bit of a fat git. It's not a bad job at all, much better than small sorts or unloading the trucks in my opinion - at least it keeps your brain a tiny bit engaged!

InRythmWithTime

I've gone big, now I'm going home
I started as a "preloader" a couple of weeks ago, I am now loading 4 trucks. I had 1.5 days of training/easing me in before being let loose loading 3 vans and it took me 2 weeks to get up to pace, but then I'm a bit of a fat git. It's not a bad job at all, much better than small sorts or unloading the trucks in my opinion - at least it keeps your brain a tiny bit engaged!
Just a heads up, I learned the hard way. Don't be a hero, if your a hero today you better be one tomorrow cause your gonna have just a little bit more work than you had yesterday, same goes for delivery, its hard to not be the best (how I was raised...work ethic) but unfortunately we are all tools and the best ones get USED the most and have to be REPLACED eventually. do your body a favor and be good not great

FlaccidEgo

Just a heads up, I learned the hard way. Don't be a hero, if your a hero today you better be one tomorrow cause your gonna have just a little bit more work than you had yesterday, same goes for delivery, its hard to not be the best (how I was raised...work ethic) but unfortunately we are all tools and the best ones get USED the most and have to be REPLACED eventually. do your body a favor and be good not great

Very true, I'm finding loading 4 tough going, making 2-3 misloads a day and struggling to keep up with the pace! Wish I could take it easier but if I did I would be swimming in packages!