Starting as preloader soon.

Buffalo688

I just got hired and went in tonight to go through orientation. Myself and two other guys got picked out of our group to start training on loading box trucks tomorrow night. I guess that's a good thing right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just got hired and went in tonight to go through orientation. Myself and two other guys got picked out of our group to start training on loading box trucks tomorrow night. I guess that's a good thing right?

We'll see if your drivers agree with you. I know that I would love nothing more than to have a brand new loader during the busiest time of the year.

Buffalo688

We'll see if your drivers agree with you. I know that I would love nothing more than to have a brand new loader during the busiest time of the year.

I'll go where I'm placed, didn't have much choice. In any case, I was asking a question and had hoped for some advise. Thanks for the welcome.

Octave

Not good or bad, that's just how the hiring process works. Hope your drivers aren't too hard on you.

Buffalo688

Well I understand a bit better after my first night. That little piece of paper we get that says this truck will have this many pieces in these certain areas isn't very accurate I found out quickly. It's hard to plan when you expect x number of packages for say 3000 but you actually get 3x number for that area. And fitting the packages so that they can easily be identified by the drivers, wow. I see drivers in a whole new light now, that has to be a pain when we fill up the trucks completely. I just sharpie every package now. Hopefully I didn't screw my drivers over too much, 1st night on the line, 2nd night with the company. The labor is tough but the mental stress of trying to make my drivers life easier is the bugger. Hopefully my drivers will come and talk to me so I can do better in the future.

Octave

Glad you had a good experience. Talking with your drivers will definitely help, I know all my drivers like things in different places than they are SPAd to. The load charts can be a pain, too, they go by what's been scanned in so far so if they were printed out at 3am for trucks that leave at 8-8:30am there's a good chunk of boxes that are still coming. At least that's how I understand it as the charts seem less and less accurate the earlier they are printed out. Kind of a catch-22 cause it'd be great to know what we're getting as early as possible but if the information is just dead wrong then it's no help at all.

Once you get a little more accustom to how the charts tend to be off a bit, and how the trucks you load typically look at the end of the day, you can start to improve the load quality significantly.

One bit of advice that may have been mentioned already but bears repeating: management will always push you to be faster, just go at a pace you can sustain that won't get you hurt, you'll get faster in time.