Starting my 5th Week - Small Sort

Nova

Hi everyone! I'm starting my 5th week as a package handler. I've been mostly doing work in small sort as a bagger but every shift I've been shuffled to the metals belt and loading trucks. So far it's been quite a unique experience, but then again my situation is equally unique as well.

Being in my early 40's with a college education and over 20 years of professional experience in my field I'm by no means a newbie to the workforce. Luckily I'm in good shape and I'm often mistaken for being in my late 20's, which I have discovered is not working in my favor because often I'm put in the trucks working with 20 year olds that have what seems unlimited energy (ahh I remember those days). Anyhow I digress...

What do I think so far? It's a hot chaotic mess; it really is. However, I do my job, work my butt off, show up early and I've been recognized by supes, management, and full timers as a hard worker and someone you can count on. All the traits that my parents instilled in me when I was 16 years old and it's the same devotion and commitment that has afforded me the ability to make a successful career in my field of study outside of UPS for 22 years. While like many others I'm here for the benefits primarily but I can see opportunity in other areas of the company that may fit my background a little more. Nevertheless, I will continue to see where and how Brown takes me.

I plan on documenting the process via the forums to help others like me in a similar situation. Additionally, I'm thrilled to have had the chance to lurk on the forums (pre-employment) to get a true pulse of the company and some inside info. So with that being said, thank you to everyone that has contributed to the knowledge base located here.

More to come...

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hi everyone! I'm starting my 5th week as a package handler. I've been mostly doing work in small sort as a bagger but every shift I've been shuffled to the metals belt and loading trucks. So far it's been quite a unique experience, but then again my situation is equally unique as well.

Being in my early 40's with a college education and over 20 years of professional experience in my field I'm by no means a newbie to the workforce. Luckily I'm in good shape and I'm often mistaken for being in my late 20's, which I have discovered is not working in my favor because often I'm put in the trucks working with 20 year olds that have what seems unlimited energy (ahh I remember those days). Anyhow I digress...

What do I think so far? It's a hot chaotic mess; it really is. However, I do my job, work my butt off, show up early and I've been recognized by supes, management, and full timers as a hard worker and someone you can count on. All the traits that my parents instilled in me when I was 16 years old and it's the same devotion and commitment that has afforded me the ability to make a successful career in my field of study outside of UPS for 22 years. While like many others I'm here for the benefits primarily but I can see opportunity in other areas of the company that may fit my background a little more. Nevertheless, I will continue to see where and how Brown takes me.

I plan on documenting the process via the forums to help others like me in a similar situation. Additionally, I'm thrilled to have had the chance to lurk on the forums (pre-employment) to get a true pulse of the company and some inside info. So with that being said, thank you to everyone that has contributed to the knowledge base located here.

More to come...
Very nice attitude and post. Welcome to browncafe and UPS

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli

More to come...
If they trick you into going into management, compare the benefits first.

Nova

If they trick you into going into management, compare the benefits first.
Luckily I have a little bit of an inside edge with a family member that has been with brown for 20 years. So while I'm a greenhorn I guess I do have a little bit of an advantage. I will definitely take your advice. Thanks!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

More to come...
"Documenting the process" of small sort?
Scan, drop into bag, scan drop into bag. Full bag? Print label...tape label to bag. Toss bag into belt.

Done. Good lord....you are waaaay too happy to be here.

Nova

"Documenting the process" of small sort?
Scan, drop into bag, scan drop into bag. Full bag? Print label...tape label to bag. Toss bag into belt.

Done. Good lord....you are waaaay too happy to be here.

I see the humor in hindsight about my post. However, with that being said, I was referring to the overall process of my experience and not the task of bagging directly. Oh god can you imagine my posts. LOL

I was thinking it would be more along the lines of how I deal with supes while I'm waiting to qualify to join the union. Or how I have dealt with not being trained at all or even been through orientation and I'm at week 5. Little things like that. Don't expect me to be all butterflies and rainbows either. I'm a straight shooter when it comes to my experiences. I guess I will see what the UPS juggernaut has in store for me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I see the humor in hindsight about my post. However, with that being said, I was referring to the overall process of my experience and not the task of bagging directly. Oh god can you imagine my posts. LOL

I was thinking it would be more along the lines of how I deal with supes while I'm waiting to qualify to join the union. Or how I have dealt with not being trained at all or even been through orientation and I'm at week 5. Little things like that. Don't expect me to be all butterflies and rainbows either. I'm a straight shooter when it comes to my experiences. I guess I will see what the UPS juggernaut has in store for me.
Shhh....no one really cares. We know what it's like...we work here too.