Starting pay/Seniority

kobechef

Started last peak, I load the brown cars. My question for you guys, I read in the union handbook that starting pay for preload/splitter is 11 an hour... I'm not getting that. My seniority started the 2nd of January so I'm wondering why I don't get the 11 an hot, and if I am not preload, what is my position? Also, if there are any other loaders, generally, how many trucks are you loading and how much is your total count for the shift? Seems like the harder I work, the more they give me.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Started last peak, I load the brown cars. My question for you guys, I read in the union handbook that starting pay for preload/splitter is 11 an hour... I'm not getting that. My seniority started the 2nd of January so I'm wondering why I don't get the 11 an hot, and if I am not preload, what is my position? Also, if there are any other loaders, generally, how many trucks are you loading and how much is your total count for the shift? Seems like the harder I work, the more they give me.

I'm not sure what your pay should be, I can check later on. The last statement is the UPS way. Work at a steady pace, just don't burn it up.

atlastitan

wow really? preloaders are no longer given the measly extra hour advantage? And yea if you bust your ass they'll keep giving you more. That's true anywhere else.

kobechef

That makes sense I guess. My hub uses the pal labels too, but PAL labels as opposed to what? Just using the address?
Also, yeah, during peak I was scanning the post office truck, upwards of 1800-2000 packages per shift. They have moved me to every truck on my belt, whenever someone calls in I cover their trucks. Biggest load I've had so far was 4 trucks, with 280,190,300, and 280 on them. And we only work from 5-9. The amount of packages wasn't really the problem though, it was just trying to get them off the belt and run back and forth between the first and fourth car. Oh, and the bulk stops are nuts!

Box Ox

You should be making at least 11. If you know your HR person's email, drop a note saying you're in preload but making "x". HR should then verify with your sups and bump your pay. I had to ask for it when I started and tell others to do the same.

Loaders at my center typically have 3 or 4 routes and load between 800-1250 pieces a sort depending on what route set they're on.

PT Car Washer

That makes sense I guess. My hub uses the pal labels too, but PAL labels as opposed to what? Just using the address?
Also, yeah, during peak I was scanning the post office truck, upwards of 1800-2000 packages per shift. They have moved me to every truck on my belt, whenever someone calls in I cover their trucks. Biggest load I've had so far was 4 trucks, with 280,190,300, and 280 on them. And we only work from 5-9. The amount of packages wasn't really the problem though, it was just trying to get them off the belt and run back and forth between the first and fourth car. Oh, and the bulk stops are nuts!
Before PAL labels yes we looked at the address and used a chart to find the sequence number of which truck and where in the truck the package was loaded. A bit slower but after a while you memorized most of the stops you had everyday. Very rarely had a misload. Preload was a good job back then.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

When you punch in what is the code on the screen? It should say "P59" or "P60". P60 would be the higher rate.

The extra buck or whatever it is now is given in some PAL centers. I know all our preloaders get it

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When you punch in what is the code on the screen? It should say "P59" or "P60". P60 would be the higher rate.

The extra buck or whatever it is now is given in some PAL centers. I know all our preloaders get it
Yep. We have so much trouble getting people to
Work preload they all get the dollar an hour.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Code? Oh you mean all those pretty numbers when i clock in and out? I never read them....just the clock time in the corner of the screen. I'll look tomorrow...lol

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Code? Oh you mean all those pretty numbers when i clock in and out? I never read them....just the clock time in the corner of the screen. I'll look tomorrow...lol
Yep. It should be start time, then the code. You should be P60 since you would be skilled.

J

jibbs

4 trucks ranging from 175 to 350 pieces, give or take like 50 on really heavy days.

Generally I've got two light ones, with 175-225 each and then two heavy, bulked out mother :censored2:ers that I'm excited to see 300 on the preload forecast sheet for.

The harder you work, the more work you get. That's why you'll notice the people who've been there the longest tend to not worry too much about how fast they're moving.

kobechef

Thanks for all the good info and insight guys, I appreciate it. I'm in a brand new hub and hoping to get really lucky and get seasonal driver in June. Wish me luck haahaa

PT Car Washer

Thanks for all the good info and insight guys, I appreciate it. I'm in a brand new hub and hoping to get really lucky and get seasonal driver in June. Wish me luck haahaa
Seasonal driving is not all that great. You still only work when UPS needs you. Could be 5 days a week or one day a week. No contract protection other then wages. You may think it is a way to get your foot in the door to FT but UPS will slam that door on your foot. You will make more money then working preload for a while.

box_beeyotch

Seasonal driving is not all that great. You still only work when UPS needs you. Could be 5 days a week or one day a week. No contract protection other then wages. You may think it is a way to get your foot in the door to FT but UPS will slam that door on your foot. You will make more money then working preload for a while.

If nothing else it's good for experience. It's a Good way to tell if you can handle the job or not.

UPS Preloader

In my building using the PAL labels preloaders no longer receive the extra Dollar an hour.

Whether or not your building has the PAL system shouldn't make a difference unless you have something unique in your supplement. According to the master, preloaders start at $11.00

(b) Newly hired part-time employees

All part-time employees, who are hired or reach seniority after August 1, 2013 will be paid according to the following wage schedules:

Start
Seniority plus one (1) year Seniority plus two (2) years Seniority plus three (3) years Seniority plus four (4) years

Hourly Rate Preloader Sorter, All Others
$11.00 $10.00
$11.50 $10.50
$12.00 $11.00
$13.00 $12.00
$13.50 $12.50

Employees working high volume direct or low volume direct shall receive the preloader/sorter rates.

upschuck

Whether or not your building has the PAL system shouldn't make a difference unless you have something unique in your supplement. According to the master, preloaders start at $11.00

(b) Newly hired part-time employees

All part-time employees, who are hired or reach seniority after August 1, 2013 will be paid according to the following wage schedules:
Start
Seniority plus one (1) year Seniority plus two (2) years Seniority plus three (3) years Seniority plus four (4) years

Hourly Rate Preloader Sorter, All Others
$11.00 $10.00
$11.50 $10.50
$12.00 $11.00
$13.00 $12.00
$13.50 $12.50

Employees working high volume direct or low volume direct shall receive the preloader/sorter rates.
Minimum pay for anyone working at UPS is $10.10