Starting Preload!!

J

jibbs

The job is as difficult as you make it for yourself. Those that say "expect to run your :censored2: off" and "throw packages to save your body" are simply taking shortcuts that actually make it harder for themselves.

It's a shortcut that actually makes it easier for me on the rollers in a BS belt nicknamed the Doghouse that runs outside of the building. It can be dangerous, though, and I feel like the only reason my belt regularly gets away with it is because we don't have a permanent supervisor back there and the union steward basically runs the show.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
It depends on where you are delt into preloading. If they see you as a great jumper, which probably will happen since they brought you back, then they automatically assume you can handle the hardest of sets imagenable. Preload in a lot of situations is harder then any other job within the building, and can be also said for the driving job. I've seen countless of jumpers brought back after knocking it out of the park, then soon after quitting before a month past.

I dont mean to scare you, but I mean to bring you realization. Who knows, you could land a cake job, working a long slow belt. A boxline or an outside PD house is a whole different ball game.

The boxline will tear your hands, arms, shoulders, back, neck, knees and soul from your body each and every waking moment on the clock. While a outside PD house knows only two speeds, slammed and crushed.

I can understand your excitement on getting the job, congratulations! But the real job is on the inside, always remember that.

First day, you should get a shift long class, and a practice test. Second day, should be you working with a soup training you on what to look for. Finding the slap, shelf placement etc. If they are good, you will be getting pointers and shown things most of the night. Dont miss out on each and little bits of information. The rest of the week should alot of the same as the second, yet great soups like that you'll probably never see anyways, expect to be given the shaft early. The last day of the week, you should get the so-called "real" safety test that gets you to work. Good luck!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
The job is as difficult as you make it for yourself. Those that say "expect to run your :censored2: off" and "throw packages to save your body" are simply taking shortcuts that actually make it harder for themselves.

As I've always said, "do it right the first time, then you wont have to deal with it again".

tre305

Been wondering this for the longest and yes it's off topic...but what the hell is a "PD"? I would assume something like unload doors? In my mind I want to say "preload doors" since outbound is for the reload of course.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Been wondering this for the longest and yes it's off topic...but what the hell is a "PD"? I would assume something like unload doors? In my mind I want to say "preload doors" since outbound is for the reload of course.
I know what it is in NYPD !!!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Thats a good question, never really thought of it, other then rape house.

I've gotta ask that to my full time, make him look at me like a dog hearing a funny noise.

nmang2412

I was told that im going to be starting at 9.50 an hour. After 90 days i get 10.50 right? My friend was telling me that there is a test you can take to get a pay increase, is this true? I was wondering what the pay increase system is, EX; after another 90 days will i get 11.50? I have heard of preloders making as much as drivers, they just dont get the hours.

nmang2412

I havent gone on the tour yet and honestly im probably not going to say or ask anything, ill just let my work ethic do the talking on tuesday. KTM huh, what kind?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The era of preloaders making drivers pay is long gone. The test that you mentioned is called the sort test. I have no idea what it entails. You do not get raises every 90 days.

You should take advantage of the tour to ask as many questions as you want.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
So folks who have 25 and 30 years on preload alone aren't making close to or top driver rate money?

We have a handful of PT Preloaders earning the same top rate of pay as drivers -- they hired in before the contract change (early 1980s), which is longer than most of the Preload has been alive. We have several other PT who hired in the mid-1980s earning close to top rate. Additionally, we have several FT Preloader positions that earn top rate... but the company is attempting to do away with these.

tre305

Hmm, so you guys think there will never be another round of combo jobs again huh? I guess unless you double shift for a week or two. As much as I like my job, it's just not what it use to be back when I was first hired. As far as money goes, the only light at the end I see for salvation is a neon "driver" sign.

nmang2412

The era of preloaders making drivers pay is long gone. The test that you mentioned is called the sort test. I have no idea what it entails. You do not get raises every 90 days.

You should take advantage of the tour to ask as many questions as you want.
I mean like im sure ill ask questions. I know that im not going to get a raise every 90 days. That was an example, but what is the raise situation. My plan is to drive when im 21 (ill be 20 in march) ill drive seasonal an then when my time comes im good to go. Everyone tells me that if i put my name on the list i should be driving when im 21!

nmang2412

Anyone have any advice for shoes/boots. I would rather wear shoes because there so light but not sure they want you to wear steel toe or not.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Anyone have any advice for shoes/boots. I would rather wear shoes because there so light but not sure they want you to wear steel toe or not.

You're required to wear shoes with "sturdy upper leather." My advise: wear something (with study upper leather) that's comfortable & durable. Everybody has their own brand preference.

nmang2412

You're required to wear shoes with "sturdy upper leather." My advise: wear something (with study upper leather) that's comfortable & durable. Everybody has their own brand preference.

So, i shouldnt wear my CAT steel toe boots then. Im thinking about getting a pair of light hiking boots.