Starting Preload!!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
This explains the part-timers I knew who had been around 15-20 years (back in '02) but never went driving. Didn't understand why they didn't want the significant bump on pay (most of em had it! But I think they all have retired now).

And ORLY! Loaders work harder, but being a Service Provider is the hardest non-management position. Drivers work hard, too, but in addition deal with the public, time deadlines, and numerous other demands. You'll walk and lift more as a preloader, but the hardest thing about it is it is a thankless job (ya'll should have loaded pre-PAS, when you had to memoroze the load chart; the level of skill involved on loading [and sorting] is why those positions make a dollar more).

I am sure the responsibility of service provider makes the job very hard. I was just talking to a driver today who always seems to get the helper that doesnt get the COD check or sig or release. Thus falling upon him in punishment. That he has to always look out for such things, closed times and drop areas. Its a lot to know and do.

Preload is just hard on the body and the mind. Run threw the gambit of things that destory our bodies as much as drivers. I'd say they are similar in difficulty, thus the past interest for preloaders to drive.

As for the OP, I'd get a pair of low top brahma steal toed shoes. The black low cut ones, great comfort and feels like a walk show with the protection of steel toe. Trust me, after a few heavy ones fall on your open shoe, you'll be dieing for a pair of them.

nmang2412

I am sure the responsibility of service provider makes the job very hard. I was just talking to a driver today who always seems to get the helper that doesnt get the COD check or sig or release. Thus falling upon him in punishment. That he has to always look out for such things, closed times and drop areas. Its a lot to know and do.

Preload is just hard on the body and the mind. Run threw the gambit of things that destory our bodies as much as drivers. I'd say they are similar in difficulty, thus the past interest for preloaders to drive.

As for the OP, I'd get a pair of low top brahma steal toed shoes. The black low cut ones, great comfort and feels like a walk show with the protection of steel toe. Trust me, after a few heavy ones fall on your open shoe, you'll be dieing for a pair of them.

Ill have to check those out

Leftinbuilding

Amazing....out of all the threads over the years about people starting work on the preload, and all their nervousness, and all their questions, this one has generated almost 1500 "views". I'll admit, the OP's enthusiasm and excitement is refreshing, but 1500 views about the preload? Amazing.

Justaname

So, I asked to be a loader and she said ok. I'm going through training in the classroom she told us by the latest friday we will be out there getting some hands on! I won't be on me own right, they'll put me with a sup right?
Our last 2 new hires got trained by a supervisor that started with the company only two days before them lol.

nmang2412

I don't know if there is a sort test now, just as there is no need to be able to learn and understand a load chart for loading cars; all that info is on the PAL now.

I asked about that sort test and my trainer/teacher lady had no clue what i was talking about. She just told me that we get a raise after 90 days. Im also a little pissed because HR told me that all the time i spent as a helper will go toward my seniority, but i asked and they said i was terminated and re hired so that time doesnt count.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I asked about that sort test and my trainer/teacher lady had no clue what i was talking about. She just told me that we get a raise after 90 days. Im also a little pissed because HR told me that all the time i spent as a helper will go toward my seniority, but i asked and they said i was terminated and re hired so that time doesnt count.

Your helper time does not count toward your seniority.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

Anybody hired during Nov.-Dec. (and October as well in some areas) is considered a temporary, seasonal employee. Even if you're kept on pernamently, with no interuption in work schedule, your senority will reflect a January date.

nmang2412

Anybody hired during Nov.-Dec. (and October as well in some areas) is considered a temporary, seasonal employee. Even if you're kept on pernamently, with no interuption in work schedule, your senority will reflect a January date.
I get it. Im just happy im a permanent, anyways what happens after the 40 days? After 40 do i have seniority or am i just not on probation anymore?

nmang2412

So, i came in yesterday and they told me that there was a volume drop and they still have seasonals. So my ft sup took my name and number and told me to come in next week. Im just a little annoyed because of the week of training they had me do and then to come in and wait outside the guard shack in the freezing cold to be sent home for the week. According to them i am hired, so wouldnt that mean im guaranteed hours?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So, i came in yesterday and they told me that there was a volume drop and they still have seasonals. So my ft sup took my name and number and told me to come in next week. Im just a little annoyed because of the week of training they had me do and then to come in and wait outside the guard shack in the freezing cold to be sent home for the week. According to them i am hired, so wouldnt that mean im guaranteed hours?

You don't get your 3 1/2 hour daily gurantee until you attain seniority.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Seems that way. The reason your HR person didn't know about the sort raise is with the PAL system, they eliminated the belt knowledge which is what the raise was based on. If you're at a HUB then you could transfer to a Day or Night sort...or if there's a Twilight sort (some places call it reload) then they would have sortaisles that require belt knowledge to get the raise. Preload blows. The dumbed down system (PAL) actually makes it pretty easy to missload although you're in a boxline so that makes it a little easier to not. Hard work. Good luck!

nmang2412

So, if anyone is still watching this today was my first real workday, at first i was helping a guy and only loading one truck as my sup was giving me tips. After about 10 minutes of him watching and talking to me he actually said it looked like he was slowing me down so he just let my go by myself. And as soon as he left me alone i started helping out the guy in my pool with his trucks, we had 4 trucks and . I only worked for about 3 hours or so but i felt pretty good.

UPSBrian

What are the sizes of the buildings you guys work in? How many trucks are in there? How many slides? How many trucks do you do at a time by yourself? Whats your PPH estimated at? What are the sizes of your pools? Just wondering if my hub is ridiculous with the numbers they put out. This is a physical job and i dont see why they feel the need to run the numbers for everything done in that building. Things should be done safely and at a good pace. Not a pace set that forces you to be running in and out of trucks. Also, what is peak season like at your buildings? I worked 10-12 hours every day during peak. They never gave a break. When i first started we had 2, 30 min videos before being thrown into the warehouse. Was told the numbering system of the trucks and they left me to 6 trucks by myself.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
What are the sizes of the buildings you guys work in? How many trucks are in there? How many slides? How many trucks do you do at a time by yourself? Whats your PPH estimated at? What are the sizes of your pools? Just wondering if my hub is ridiculous with the numbers they put out. This is a physical job and i dont see why they feel the need to run the numbers for everything done in that building. Things should be done safely and at a good pace. Not a pace set that forces you to be running in and out of trucks. Also, what is peak season like at your buildings? I worked 10-12 hours every day during peak. They never gave a break. When i first started we had 2, 30 min videos before being thrown into the warehouse. Was told the numbering system of the trucks and they left me to 6 trucks by myself.

#1) UPS has long stressed production -- which is measured by how fast you load/unload/sort. This will never change. Work quickly, work efficiently, work safely. Harassment and micro-management, unfortunately, is part of the work environment If you can't handle it, you won't last. Just remember that the union doesn't recognize production standards -- only "a fair days work for a fair days pay," so as long as you're trying (not talking, not using the rest room every 20 minutes, etc.), you'll keep your job. And the faster you work, the more work you'll do.

#2) Peak season is always crazy. Unless your state laws differ (there's only a half-dozen states or so, and some don't apply to UPS), you'll only receive a single 10-minute break. Many of us would love to work 10-12 hours... I got about 6 most days, and have to beg for my 3.5 guarantee most days right now.

#3) Your training seems typical of many facilities.

#4) Society currently reigns under bean counters. If you worked at a fast food restaurant, you'll deal with numbers like how many consumers you served per hour, how long they waited, etc. If you worked at a grocery store, you'll deal with numbers like carts per hour, rings per minute (cashier), items stocked per hour, etc. Technology is a wonderful thing, but it's brought all sorts of less-meaningful data that managers feel they need to use. Until a new generation of managers reigns and filters through it, we'll have to deal with it.

Welcome to UPS, btw.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Just a tip. Don't come to work high/drunk. We had a new hire sent home today because he was obviously stoned.
Half the unload/sort aisle are high lol. I can't count how many times I'm walking through the parking lot @3am and can smell somone smoking weed...I don't know how they can work stoned lol.