Starting Preload!!

nmang2412

No offense but i personally NEVER think like that. If i am getting low pay for a pt job that everyone says im going to be miserable at, cant i atleast have comfy feet!?!?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
It all depends on what contract they were hired under and whether or not they are red-circled.
UPS went to a two tiered wage scale for part time employees in August 1982. Anyone hired before that date would be making driver wages for part time work. I guess there are a few dinosaurs left over from that era.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

This explains the part-timers I knew who had been around 15-20 years (back in '02) but never went driving. Didn't understand why they didn't want the significant bump on pay (most of em had it! But I think they all have retired now).

And ORLY! Loaders work harder, but being a Service Provider is the hardest non-management position. Drivers work hard, too, but in addition deal with the public, time deadlines, and numerous other demands. You'll walk and lift more as a preloader, but the hardest thing about it is it is a thankless job (ya'll should have loaded pre-PAS, when you had to memoroze the load chart; the level of skill involved on loading [and sorting] is why those positions make a dollar more).

packageguy

So monday im taking the tour and tuesday is my first day of preload. I just have some questions to ask.

What should i expect for the tour/how long is it usually?
What should i expect for my first day, what will they have me doing?
Im assuming there is no break?
What should i wear, When should i get there, where should i go?

I know ill do fine i just hate being new and not knowing what to do or where to go, stuff like that. Ive been a helper for 2 seasons, so i know im just a pee-on and they are going to work my ass off!

good luck. Come to work everyday, and put the right package in the right truck, you will be loved

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This explains the part-timers I knew who had been around 15-20 years (back in '02) but never went driving. Didn't understand why they didn't want the significant bump on pay (most of em had it! But I think they all have retired now).

And ORLY! Loaders work harder, but being a Service Provider is the hardest non-management position. Drivers work hard, too, but in addition deal with the public, time deadlines, and numerous other demands. You'll walk and lift more as a preloader, but the hardest thing about it is it is a thankless job (ya'll should have loaded pre-PAS, when you had to memoroze the load chart; the level of skill involved on loading [and sorting] is why those positions make a dollar more).
On a FT level, FT driving is much more physically and mentally exhausting than FT preload.

On a strictly physical scale, jmo, FT preload is more exhausting. However with the attention to detail and longer hours as a FT driver, mentally it's more challenging...by far.

nmang2412

So, there was about 7 guys on the tour, i finally saw how everything works. Im hoping not, but i think i might be unloading trucks, i want to be going from the shelf right to the truck.
-Side note: Whats the system called? Its 3 shelves stacked ontop of each other, different colors, and they are constantly moving in a circle (oval really) to be told
From what i saw people doing it didnt look very hard at all, understand that im a very physical person. I think im really going to like this job!

'Lord Brown's bidding'

It's called a boxline. Don't be afraid to let them know you'd like to load packages cars. It is the hardest of the preload jobs IMO, but I enjoyed it a lot as a hard worker. It also exposes you to drivers, oncar supes and center managers, which can be valuable if one of your goals is to become a driver.

nmang2412

It's called a boxline. Don't be afraid to let them know you'd like to load packages cars. It is the hardest of the preload jobs IMO, but I enjoyed it a lot as a hard worker. It also exposes you to drivers, oncar supes and center managers, which can be valuable if one of your goals is to become a driver.
Yeah, im comfortable with reading the PAL and i have a general knowledge of how drivers like the trucks to be loaded from being a helper.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Here, they give the extra $1 out once you do something besides unload. Once they give it to you, they don't take it away -- even if you go back to unloading.

nmang2412

Ok, i guess ill just have to make a friend and ask. So, if i cant take the test then how do we get raises, no one has answered this yet?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Ok, i guess ill just have to make a friend and ask. So, if i cant take the test then how do we get raises, no one has answered this yet?

You don't have to make friends, you merely have to tell your boss you're interested in sorting - per the CBA, your boss is obligated to honor this request (provided there's an opening and everybody with more seniority than you who's requested such has been accommodated).

When you clock in, you'll notice a code under the "work area" field. When you change work areas (e.g. move from unload to sort), your boss changes your code. Your pay will automatically adjust when he/she does this.

nmang2412

So, I asked to be a loader and she said ok. I'm going through training in the classroom she told us by the latest friday we will be out there getting some hands on! I won't be on me own right, they'll put me with a sup right?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Yes, they'll likely have a supervisor work with you on your first day. He/she will not likely spend the entire day with you, but should spend significant time with you.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Yes, they'll likely have a supervisor work with you on your first day. He/she will not likely spend the entire day with you, but should spend significant time with you.

They should do about 85% of the work first day, show you how to sort cages, write on packages and multi carry. Show you places for RDR, RDL, RDC and shelf spaces. Hopefully they show you to keep the 1000 shelf spaced back a bit for the incoming air.