STAY OUT OF RESIDENTIAL DRIVEWAYS!! NO EXCEPTIONS!! What would you do ?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would NEVER take the package car down that road. It is not safe for you or the vehicle. I would leave everything at the gate or sheet as emergency conditions and the customer can come get it. I would NEVER walk this off either. If you have to deliver this then continue driving it. If they don't like it then they can come ride with you and walk with you to demonstrate what they want but you won't be discplined from telematics. Stand up for yourself and take care of the things that they can write you up for and technology can't be used against you. Ask them to ride with you if they don't like it and I agree with others who have told you to remove that video because you are driving with one hand and videoing at the same time.

If I didnt take my package car down driveways like that I would quite literally be bringing half of my route back every night. I deliver in a rural area. Driveways like that are the norm, not the exception. There is nothing at all unsafe about driving a package car down them. On the contrary....If I even considered hiking them off, my fat ass would either (A) die of a heart attack and get eaten by coyotes (B) get shot by a paranoid pot farmer who thought I was sneaking in to rip off his grow operation at night or (C) get anally raped by some toothless hillbilly mountain man who wanted me to squeal like a pig. We are called United Parcel Service and that means that if you order a package and have enough room on your property to turn the package car around we are going to provide that service and deliver the package to your doorstep.

S

serenity now

I'll never understand why you southerners can't build proper, neat roads. Glad I live in nyc. Couldn't stand walking around and living around those barbaric roads.

We're still trying to recover economically from the War of Northern Aggression.
This is all we can afford.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Yea, having the wheels stolen off your PC while you're in a building is so much better.

Lmao, no one wants to steal UPS filthy cheap wheels lol. I don't know where you got your information from about nyc, its nothing like you think it is. Maybe you should get out of your tinfoil and widen your horizon of what the outside world is besides tents, trailer houses, and shooting anything that moves that is not white. Hehe!

soberups

Welcome to my world.

This is an average driveway on my route. No big deal on a nice, sunny day in July. The view changes though when its about 6:30 at night in December, pitch black with pea-soup fog and driving rain. Add a few inches of snow (this driveway is at about 1300 feet of elevation) and things get really interesting. The guy who lives here is a survivalist prepper, so if you think I am going to load 200 pounds of ammunition and freeze-dried food onto a handtruck and walk that bitch off at night with nothing but a flashlight, you had better think again.

Looong driveway in a package car - YouTube

CoolArrow

If I didnt take my package car down driveways like that I would quite literally be bringing half of my route back every night. I deliver in a rural area. Driveways like that are the norm, not the exception. There is nothing at all unsafe about driving a package car down them. On the contrary....If I even considered hiking them off, my fat ass would either (A) die of a heart attack and get eaten by coyotes (B) get shot by a paranoid pot farmer who thought I was sneaking in to rip off his grow operation at night or (C) get anally raped by some toothless hillbilly mountain man who wanted me to squeal like a pig. We are called United Parcel Service and that means that if you order a package and have enough room on your property to turn the package car around we are going to provide that service and deliver the package to your doorstep.

We provide service, but that type of road is unreasonable and unsafe to you and the vehicle. You aren't required to break and axle bracket, get stuck, or scratch the vehicle.

soberups

A few years ago I busted a mirror going down this particular driveway. It was dark, and the tree limbs were hanging really low because they had snow on them. Most of the snow was thin and wet and it knocked off of the limbs pretty easily, but when I got into the shady spot the snow had frozen into solid ice and the tree limbs were like big clubs. I got a warning letter, along with a self-righteous lecture about "staying out of residential driveways" by an idiot center manager who had never been a driver, had never been out there himself and had no clue about the real-world conditions that I deal with. Fortunately, my on-car sup who did the safety ride with me the following day had been a driver and it was immediately obvious to him that driving down the driveway was my only option. 9 months later the warning letter turned to dust and life went on.

CoolArrow

Welcome to my world.

This is an average driveway on my route. No big deal on a nice, sunny day in July. The view changes though when its about 6:30 at night in December, pitch black with pea-soup fog and driving rain. Add a few inches of snow (this driveway is at about 1300 feet of elevation) and things get really interesting. The guy who lives here is a survivalist prepper, so if you think I am going to load 200 pounds of ammunition and freeze-dried food onto a handtruck and walk that bitch off at night with nothing but a flashlight, you had better think again.

That gets left at the gate or a little up the road or the guy comes to get it. That's ridiculous.

soberups

We provide service, but that type of road is unreasonable and unsafe to you and the vehicle. You aren't required to break and axle bracket, get stuck, or scratch the vehicle.

1. I have never broken an axle bracket, or any other structural part of a package car. Busted mirrors cost $6 and take less than 3 minutes to replace. Its part of the cost of doing business in the country.

2. Getting stuck is part of the job. I carry a tow strap with me and all I have to do if I get stuck is tie it to the bumper and stand there. The first guy that drives by in a 4x4 pickup will stop and pull me out. Or I call the center, and they send a tow truck. No big deal, its a routine occurence around here.

3. Scratches? My truck is covered in scratches. Its 8 years old and has 150,000+ miles of hard service on it. If the scratch is bad enough I will pull into the shop at night and the mechanic will smear some brown paint on it with a brush and call it good. Since we no longer wash the cars on any kind of a regular basis, any scratches that it does have are covered with dirt and mud anyway. This isnt Clarksville.

CoolArrow

No, it gets left out of sight and out of the weather on the customers porch. Thats service.

I take plenty of packages to porches and front door steps. But we aren't given the time to open and close gates and we aren't allowed to damage the vehicle and if we get stuck in our center it is on US and we get disciplined for that. We have an obligation to provide service within reason but we also have an obligation to protect the vehicles and do things in cost effective manner. You and I just have a different threshold and probably our center team does as well.

CoolArrow

No, it gets left out of sight and out of the weather on the customers porch. Thats service.

I am sure you have many situations where you leave packages at a gate or a road is literally impassable due to limbs or what not. What do you do then?

soberups

I am sure you have many situations where you leave packages at a gate or a road is literally impassable due to limbs or what not. What do you do then?

Most of the gates on my route are electrically operated and you open them by punching a code into a keypad. I have well over 100 gate codes stored in my iphone that I have acquired over the last 18 years on this route, and most of them are also noted in the DIAD for that particular stop. If I dont have the code, or the gate is padlocked, I put the package in a bag and leave it at the gate. If its too big or valuable to bag up, or signature required, I stick a delivery notice on their mailbox and they either come to the center to get it or they leave their gate open for me the following day. There are certain driveways on my route that are impossible to get up when it snows, those customers are well aware of that fact and I wont even try to go up there until they plow the driveway off. Those packages get sheeted as Emergency Conditions until such time as the driveway is clear.

CoolArrow

Most of the gates on my route are electrically operated and you open them by punching a code into a keypad. I have well over 100 gate codes stored in my iphone that I have acquired over the last 18 years on this route, and most of them are also noted in the DIAD for that particular stop. If I dont have the code, or the gate is padlocked, I put the package in a bag and leave it at the gate. If its too big or valuable to bag up, or signature required, I stick a delivery notice on their mailbox and they either come to the center to get it or they leave their gate open for me the following day. There are certain driveways on my route that are impossible to get up when it snows, those customers are well aware of that fact and I wont even try to go up there until they plow the driveway off. Those packages get sheeted as Emergency Conditions until such time as the driveway is clear.

I am pretty much in the same boat. I have gate codes and I go to as many front doors as I can, but I have broken an axle bracket, had limb issues, been stuck, and been in some pretty dangerous situations due to rough roads going up steep hills and having to back down. I want to provide good service but my supervisor and I are on the same page and he backs me up and trusts my judgment for the most part. He has go on his own a few times to see what I was talking about and told the customer we wouldn't be able to go to the home.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I take plenty of packages to porches and front door steps. But we aren't given the time to open and close gates and we aren't allowed to damage the vehicle and if we get stuck in our center it is on US and we get disciplined for that. We have an obligation to provide service within reason but we also have an obligation to protect the vehicles and do things in cost effective manner. You and I just have a different threshold and probably our center team does as well.

given time? I get paid by the hour. I take all the time I NEED. Scratches on a truck,not given time, service within reason. You sound like a driver sup or an IE geek not a driver.

CoolArrow

given time? I get paid by the hour. I take all the time I NEED. Scratches on a truck,not given time, service within reason. You sound like a driver sup or an IE geek not a driver.

I am a driver and I don't run or skip my lunch, I do the speed limits, but I don't get out and open and close six gates to deliver one stop. That's just me. I don't feel like staying out all night. Just my way of going about it and everyone from customers to supervisors are all on the same page.

soberups

I am a driver and I don't run or skip my lunch, I do the speed limits, but I don't get out and open and close six gates to deliver one stop. That's just me. I don't feel like staying out all night. Just my way of going about it and everyone from customers to supervisors are all on the same page.

I dont like doing that either, but it has nothing to do with time. My concern is accidentally letting livestock out. Generally speaking I will refuse to open a gate if I see any evidence that it contains livestock, unless there is also a cattle guard on the ground to drive over.

soberups

I am pretty much in the same boat. I have gate codes and I go to as many front doors as I can, but I have broken an axle bracket, had limb issues, been stuck, and been in some pretty dangerous situations due to rough roads going up steep hills and having to back down. I want to provide good service but my supervisor and I are on the same page and he backs me up and trusts my judgment for the most part. He has go on his own a few times to see what I was talking about and told the customer we wouldn't be able to go to the home.

I agree with you 100%, but there is no danger of any of those things occuring in the driveway that I made the video of. I have been down that driveway hundreds of times over the last 18 years. Its long and bumpy and brushy and a major pain in the ass, but it isnt unsafe and there is no reason why we cannot use it to provide service to that customer. I do have driveways on my route that the truck cant get up, and I also have driveways that can only be conquered at the expense of tearing huge ruts in the gravel due to wheel spin. In those particular cases, the package gets left at the gate or held for will call. The customer doesnt want me going up there and tearing his road up either, so in that situation we are in complete agreement.