Stealing company time.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
No where in my training does it say I have to bring my own water and ice to work.

Per UPS I am to take steps to prevent heat related illnesses. Getting ice water is one of those.
View attachment 258921

Sounds like he was doing his best to prevent a injury to me.
On the way to the first stop. Ok. Great pitch. Or not.
Is it worth the aftermath that the driver is experiencing? Maybe for you. Not for everyone else. And not for this guy. If I go to get ice or a drink at a C store on the way to my first stop I punch in a break. It's not worth the hassle of being accused of stealing time. If its during the day after a few stops and it's really hot or if it was toasty in the AM and your truck was loaded on an outside dock then it would be more conducive to not coding it out. There's more than one factor at play and being tough on here vs what happens in real life when you're out of service for a few weeks with no medical coverage doesnt always play out so well.

tadpole

...so how do you explain the 10 minutes of the pkg car not doing anything?

I would think you would want your break on record so they can't accuse/fabricate you of anything?
That’s a logical thought. However, I’ve never been asked about my gaps before.

clean hairy

Interesting how employees are accused of stealing time and get dealt with.
Though, shorting a check, are there any consequences management faces for stealing from an employee?

Siveriano

That's why you should never talk to management without a Steward present.
The shop steward at our building always talk to the guys before they go into contact with the manager and see how he can solve the problem without the driver being disciplined.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Interesting how employees are accused of stealing time and get dealt with.
Though, shorting a check, are there any consequences management faces for stealing from an employee?

Yeah;

They get fired.

Anytime they edit a time card, it leaves a trail.

File a grievance and a written complaint with UPS loss prevention/security.

Works like a charm....

Faceplanted

The guy who fired for getting ice, call osha and file a formal complain and explain the whole situation. Ups could end up getting fined. According to osha, ups is supposed to provide us with cool clean water every day.... do they do that? No. I stop every morning for hydration and never code it out. We are allowed to get water/ice even if ups thinks they are above the law and osha regulations.

There is no way I would come back without 100% backpay if I was you. Don’t settle.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
FT package driver here. Can the company consider using our phone for personal use while not clocked into a break as stealing company time? SUP did an observation on me and said he saw me several times use my phone for a couple minutes at a time. He told me that I am stealing company time and that I should be disciplined for it. He said the exact same thing about visiting with one of my customers for 5 min. Could I really get accused of stealing time for this?

Did you code out any break for the day? What kind of breaks for your supplement? Tell them that some of the time was with customers on the line.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
The guy who fired for getting ice, call osha and file a formal complain and explain the whole situation. Ups could end up getting fined. According to osha, ups is supposed to provide us with cool clean water every day.... do they do that? No. I stop every morning for hydration and never code it out. We are allowed to get water/ice even if ups thinks they are above the law and osha regulations.

There is no way I would come back without 100% backpay if I was you. Don’t settle.
Call NBC.