steps to take regarding incorrect paycheck hours

eastlos

I just checked online and my paycheck for this week is all screwed up! i am missing 8 hours of regular pay and 4 hours for an optional day i took. I also noticed union dues where not taken out which are due this week, and no federal tax was taken out either. this is the first time something like this happens. what steps should i take to get this fixed? notify manager and shop steward? how much time do they have to get my missing time paid?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I just checked online and my paycheck for this week is all screwed up! i am missing 8 hours of regular pay and 4 hours for an optional day i took. I also noticed union dues where not taken out which are due this week, and no federal tax was taken out either. this is the first time something like this happens. what steps should i take to get this fixed? notify manager and shop steward? how much time do they have to get my missing time paid?
Usually talking to your sup/mgr is enough. If you have issues with sup/mgr then take your steward you. How long it takes will depend on how your sup is with correcting this type of problem. Ask your steward about how much time it will take. Don't forget to show them your paystub.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Simply print your online pay stub, highlight the errors, and hand it to your sup. Give him a day and then check back to see if the correction(s) were made.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Good advice so far. I'd personally tell both a manager/sup and a steward of the issue.

As far as I know, the national agreement says that UPS has one week to correct the issues from when management /your supervisor was notified of the error. After that one week and if the adjustments were not made, you can file grievances for the "penalty pay".

Each week the error wasn't fixed, as far as I know, you can file for 4 hours straight time as PT or 8 hours friend/T. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

BigBrownSanta

If the amount short is more than $30 for FT or $15 for PT, notify your sup of the errors with a steward present. They have 2 working days to correct the errors.

Article 17, National Master Agreement

drewed

Shankman
Id imagine hed come pretty close to breaking even....since they jipped him in the hours but didnt take out the taxes.....

gandydancer

"Article 17 Paid for Time

...shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees, and fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until corrected."​

UPS Payroll in Texas repeated the previous week's Union deductions instead of what they should have taken out last week. So I got a check (not a direct deposit, despite the fact I have direct deposit) for the duplicate deduction the next day.​

I too am having issues with my paycheck and I'm getting the run around from my steward. She is unsure of the new contract and is always running to management with questions on how to deal with the issues instead of looking in our union contract. I have been having these issues for the past 2 months and also didn't get my .35 cent raise for February 1st.

In my dealings with stewards and management I feel your frustration it is a wait and see game and following the chain to complain too. First sups, full time mangager for your shift, steward, and then after that fails center manager. Then onto the local which is currently my stage. I am owed almost $400 dollars for the simular problems. Just stick it out.....it will get better soon.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I too am having issues with my paycheck and I'm getting the run around from my steward. She is unsure of the new contract and is always running to management with questions on how to deal with the issues instead of looking in our union contract. I have been having these issues for the past 2 months and also didn't get my .35 cent raise for February 1st.

In my dealings with stewards and management I feel your frustration it is a wait and see game and following the chain to complain too. First sups, full time mangager for your shift, steward, and then after that fails center manager. Then onto the local which is currently my stage. I am owed almost $400 dollars for the simular problems. Just stick it out.....it will get better soon.

i would just go to steward first.

If steward is looking for advice from management instead of contract he is foolish.

Maybe new steward? my advice to steward would be call B/A and get your questions answered i see no reason to learn my contract from management,

I don't think people should except steward position if they are not willing to do the work of asking questions and learning contract.

But if call is in be patient don't forget the hall gets so many calls they have to deal with them all.

Rampgirl2020

Well I am currently on week 4 of waiting not only for overtime corrections, but also for the pay increase everyone else has had since Aug. Also have gone to union filed grievance and still nothing has happened also contacted hr on workday. So whats next? Labor board?
"Article 17 Paid for Time

...shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees, and fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until corrected."

UPS Payroll in Texas repeated the previous week's Union deductions instead of what they should have taken out last week. So I got a check (not a direct deposit, despite the fact I have direct deposit) for the duplicate deduction the next day.​

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Well I am currently on week 4 of waiting not only for overtime corrections, but also for the pay increase everyone else has had since Aug. Also have gone to union filed grievance and still nothing has happened also contacted hr on workday. So whats next? Labor board?
Have you spoken with your ba,ask your ba about the status of your grievances and how long before they are settled?Sometimes my grievances take months before they are settled(the longer the bigger the payout),make sure to always put plus penalty pay in the settlement requested part.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Make sure you are filing every week you don't have your pay increase.