stewards taking part timers $

packageguy

I WAS a proud Teamster at my last local.....this local has me ashamed to be a Teamster. There are times I wish I hadn't have transferred here because of this. In one year now I have NEVER saw even 1 greivance filed, and there has been plenty of instances where there was good reason to.

Then maybe it's time to grab the company by the horns, lead by example.

Just Lurking

Some of us just want to get the hell out of there. Been sorting for ten years, doing two jobs for the last four. Just hanging around for a driving position. I get it, I do. Sups shouldn't be doing our jobs, cuts our hours etc. But when you work in a 95 degree sweatbox, after putting in 8 hours somewhere else, you just don't care anymore. Or even for the noobs, they just went to college, spent all day in a classroom, etc. Everyone just wants to get the hell outta there.

Do you believe that the stewards (package drivers) have put in less than eight hours or that cars are not more than 95 degree sweatboxes. Step up and file. Why should I ar any other steward file for you (anyone) or the top whatever number part timers. I file to work, hours worked or to discontinue practice.

j-man

Well I have more and more people tell me they just wanna do their time and go home. I know myself that when i first started@ ups i was working 2 jobs and going to school. after working 2 jobs for 3 years i felt the same way. but when i started to cover drive, shift and do carwash i started to see things different. I try to tell people that they"ll change their mind when they start driving some. But most say with the long wait for full time, the daily warning letters, the 2 week training class with 70% failure rate, they don't want to stay that long. I can't say if I was in their shoes I wouldn't feel that way too. Management has part-timers exactly where they want. "littleboybrown" is right gotta lead by example. But the stewards don't need to give up on pt'ers either.

j-man

stewards also gotta remember that there are more part-timers than full-timers. And even if part-timers like or hate union most pay dues. thats alot of $.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

stewards also gotta remember that there are more part-timers than full-timers. And even if part-timers like or hate union most pay dues. thats alot of $.

I think you may be confused--the stewards are not taking the PTers dues money--they are filing grievances instead of the PTers for supervisors working and keeping the grievance money for themselves.

OptimusPrime

...and that is exactly the attitude mgt wants from their part timers. Get in, do the job, go home. Want to leave early? Sure. Want your 3.5 hour guarantee? No, just wanna go home. Do you care if the sup helps you break that jam or close out that feeder? No, just wanna go home.

That's fine and dandy, but from most posts I see here, the large majority of you went full time rather quickly. Well at least no where ten years and still waiting. So you really have no frame of reference. Seems to me that 98% of regular posters here have FT, and have been that way for awhile.

packageguy

This goes to what I stated in another post about group grievances. There are some employees who are fearful, but may be willing to keep track of the time and dates if the they see the super sups working. If you have a network of people who may have your back in the dark that management does not know about then then this helps. Exlpain to them what a group grievances is and they may help and place names on the greivance. I found that people are more then ever willing stand up if they see others placing names on the greivances. I have done this for over 15 years and it works all most everytime time. Then when you get the money be nice and give equal shares to the others that signed the grievance. You may have to do this twice or three times but then people will see they can get the money and will then come out of the wood work. The stewards who do this need to stop this and get a good kick in the ass and stand behind you and support you guys.

I have done that, and your right it works, giving them the money has changed the game,

j-man

i am not confused at all, i know full timers are not taking PTers dues. I am simply saying that there are alot off PTers that pay dues. If these stewards and full timers continue to dismiss the Pters then they could lose alot of money. Alot that I know don't feel represented at all and want to get out. They feel they are wasting their $. ($8 dollars is alot when only guarunteed 3 1/2 hrs. a day, thats more that could be going to 401K) They start getting alot less dues out of our building then someone may try to fix the problem then. That may not be smart, but alotof people feel that way is the only way. Our BA doesn't even associate with PTers. the only time in last year anyone has seen him in Hub side of building is once during re-election time. I had a steward tell a couple of us walking into work that if we saw any sups working to let him know, he would take care of it. I asked him for his benifit or ours? His reply was: nothing. gave us a go to hell look and walked away. a couple weeks ago a package driver asked a steward for some advice for one of his buddys on preload. the steward told him friend* the part timers. I have been told 3 times(in a month) that things are diffrent now, back before economy got slow we could have won that grievence, but not now.

j-man

I have heard alot of people say that they have been told when filing grievences: " before the ecomomy got bad you probley would have won that grievence, but not now things are diffrent". I understand thats things have never been like this before, but its a contract signed by both company and union. Guess I am still on the fence, but heavily leaning toward the "load of crap" side. Am i the only one that sees it this way?

union4life

Hmm....if Driver Stewards are filing on Supervisors doing PT work (and you are PT), you should file the same grievance and site the contract language in Article 3 Section 7 "If no aggrieved employee can be identified, the payment will be made to the grievant.". The Driver Steward (grievant) should not be paid because the Union should identify you (the aggrieved employee) as the person who actually lost hours due to the supervisor working. Make sure you filie the grievance.

mamirk69

Hmm....if Driver Stewards are filing on Supervisors doing PT work (and you are PT), you should file the same grievance and site the contract language in Article 3 Section 7 "If no aggrieved employee can be identified, the payment will be made to the grievant.". The Driver Steward (grievant) should not be paid because the Union should identify you (the aggrieved employee) as the person who actually lost hours due to the supervisor working. Make sure you filie the grievance.

I agree with you 100%. I am trying to figure out were these people are getting this seniority crap on filing grievances for supervisors working. I have been paid roughly $1500 over a 3 year span and never had an issue with a lesser seniority employee receiving their grievance money. Who ever put the pen to paper is the person that gets paid for the supervisor working. Now this package car stewards should educate their members before filing and I agree 100% on that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with you 100%. I am trying to figure out were these people are getting this seniority crap on filing grievances for supervisors working. I have been paid roughly $1500 over a 3 year span and never had an issue with a lesser seniority employee receiving their grievance money. Who ever put the pen to paper is the person that gets paid for the supervisor working. Now this package car stewards should educate their members before filing and I agree 100% on that.

Suppose the steward is doing that and the PTer says he doesn't want to be bothered with it--would it then be OK for the steward to file?

union4life

Suppose the steward is doing that and the PTer says he doesn't want to be bothered with it--would it then be OK for the steward to file?
If that is the case, I personally feel it is fine.

I come in and head towards the belt where the preloaders are working and happen to notice a PT supervisor working. I say to the supervisor, "hey, do you need me to get on the clock to handle that for you?". The supervisor stops what he is doing and walks off. I turn around and a preloader says, "he/she has been working all morning, can I get paid for that?". I say "sure thing". I pull out a grievance form and fill it out and tell them to put their personal information on the grievance and I'll sign as a witness. That's when the part-timer takes a second and says "I don't want them to give me any trouble....I'll pass." I look to the other preloaders and ask "anyone going to file this?" (insert crickets chirping). Ok, I file it. I turn to the part-timer and say "will you sign this as my witness?". This is an all to common practice in my hub.

mikeups1978

Then when U try to go to another steward for a problem the same steward that was supposed to handle it the first time will snap at U for betraying him/her! I had that happen when I told the first steward about my problem, and he was on the phone with someone else (don't know if that person was his relative) and he said next time. Then I went to another steward, and the first steward blew his stack at me. I feel like since I'm a paying member my problem takes priorty over who's on that phone. Our union sucks big time; it needs to change! I don't pay to wait next time; I pay to have any issues taken care of right then and there no questions asked!