Sticker Shock On Some Prescriptions For Retirees. Advice?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
some medications don't have generic equals like asthma inhalers like Symbicort and Advair , etc. and our plan only pays 70% on name brands.

that's about $90 out of pocket just for one script. the generics on other scripts are only $5 a month.

are there any other retirees here who has found a cheaper alternative? we are thinking of changing our pharmacy to Costco from Rite-Aid.

i think we dont qualify for financial assistance from the drug manufacturer.

any experience would be helpful.

oldngray

nowhere special
some medications don't have generic equals like asthma inhalers like Symbicort and Advair , etc. and our plan only pays 70% on name brands.

that's about $90 out of pocket just for one script. the generics on other scripts are only $5 a month.

are there any other retirees here who has found a cheaper alternative? we are thinking of changing our pharmacy to Costco from Rite-Aid.

i think we dont qualify for financial assistance from the drug manufacturer.

any experience would be helpful.

I don't take any expensive drugs but the manufacturers do deeply discount for many people with bad or no insurance. My sister needs MS medicine that would cost $6000 per month. She wasn't able to keep working enough to keep her insurance. The drug company gave her a discount down to $100 per month.

Which just goes to show you what a racket it is. If insurance pays then the drug companies charge as much as they want.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
we dont qualify for discounts because our health insurance is private.

now, if we had NO insurance or government insurance we would get a manufactures discount.

ski or die

Ski or Die
You will not be able to obtain financial assistance because of your income, my own experience. One medicine that I take, my cost after insurance was $208 per month at Sam's Club, which is one of the less expensive Pharmacies. Having Part D insurance, it would eat up $2500 of the $2960 before it would send me into the donut hole where I would be responsible for 100% until I reach $4850. Then the insurance kicks back in. That $2500 only left $460 annually for other medicines. I contacted the Pharmaceutical Company, told "make to much". I explained they were pricing themselves out of the market. They could care less. Went to my Doctor, got a generic that is working just as well - only cost $4.00 per month. I would talk to the Doctor to try some other medicines. On fixed income, have to look for your Senior Discounts.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
thanks. our plan automatically uses generics but there are none for asthma inhalers.

we are planning on switching to Costco since it will be cheaper by $65 before insurance.

we qualify by income with the drug maker but dont because of insurance is thru the Teamsters/UPS.

everything else we get , blood pressure, heart, stuff like that only costs $5 each or less.

Costco also has home delivery but dont know yet if that costs. our costco is 50 miles away but we go once a month.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I get 3/4 of my meds. from Canadian pharmacies over the internet. Some are much,much cheaper for identical stuff.
Invokana is cheaper here.