Stock Price

M

moreluck

At least UPS is one of the top money earning companies......it will eventually show in the stock price. However, FDX is another story....

I

iloadthetruck

The entire market is just dropping due to the disparity between the dollar and other currencies. Companies keep posting good results (Apple was fantastic, IBM did decently) and the stocks keep dropping. We're at the lowest it's been in five months, and it could always go farther.

You know, I seem to remember there being a mini-"recession" about fifteen years ago, in the early 90's. And then, if you go fifteen years after that, you're in the late 70's, where we again, had a crappy economy.

FedEx, though, is down nearly 2% more than UPS.

C

crappie

Apples stock price was over valued, so any shaky news about the future will send it down.So a companys stock price is about the future,sometimes.When UPS stock was in the 90s it was over valued.Little bad news about the future sent it down.fdx stock, the street must think the future looks good?It is over valued as it is now .Any bad news I would guess it will go down.So I companys stock price is not about what is going now, but the future.

L

longups

{52 week high is 89.11}

That trade was invisible to everyone except the big board. I believe the high was actually $87.55
The 89.11 trade may have been private and only a couple of shares. On that day I could not even find the trade in the listings.

T

traveler

Boy, we sure do need a liason with these ANALysts. This downgrade explanation was the most inane I've read yet... or am I just in the dark about what is going on? One of the quotes was "the U.S. Postal Service is gaining momentum".

Huh? On what planet?

(Message edited by traveler on June 09, 2005)

U

upsdawg

It will be interesting to see what FedEX reports for their year ending---June 23rd.I am sure that they are preparing their "SPIN" as we speak!!

Regarding the USPS gaining momentum in Europe---I was totally confused--especailly with UPS Tremendous growth numbers for In'lt---the US market is flat for us , but we are gaining greater profitability on the Int'l market----and that is where all of the high revenue packages are!!

M

montecarlo11

UPSPUPPY,
your gonna be sick on June 23. you might wanna think about calling in that day.

M

moreluck

excerpt from Wall Street Transcript:

"We also see opportunities in the asset-based transports. We like UPS, which we view as an excellent, high-quality way to invest in growing global trade. The company has faltered in recent quarters on the domestic front, but we view this pullback as an excellent opportunity for high-quality growth investors."

M

moreluck

This is where I got that wxcerpt...I'm sure Monte will require it.

Wall Street Transcript
Driver Shortage a key topic of Wall Street Transcript Transportation and Logistics Issue
Tuesday June 14, 12:00 pm ET

67 WALL STREET, New York--June 14, 2005--The Wall Street Transcript has just published its Transportation and Logistics issue, a report offering a timely review of the sector to serious investors and industry executives. This 57-page feature contains an expert roundtable forum of leading industry analysts, and industry commentary through in-depth interviews with top management from 11 firms. An "Off-The-Record review of management by management" is also included. The full issue is available by calling (212) 952-7433 or via The Wall Street Transcript Online.

M

moreluck

United Parcel Service initiated with "buy"
Friday, June 17, 2005 10:16:40 AM ET
BB&T Capital Markets
NEW YORK, June 17 - Analysts at BB&T Capital Markets
initiate coverage of United Parcel Service Inc (UPS.NYS) with a "buy" rating. The
12-month target price is set to $85.

In a research note published this morning, the analysts mention that the
company has one of the most robust balance sheets and greatest ability to generate
cash flows among the companies in the S&P500 list. United Parcel Service's
revenue results in the next two-to-three years are expected to be driven by the
company's acquisition of Overnite Transportation and the synergies from the
integration of Menlo, the analysts say.

M

moreluck

Well, FDX reported their earnings this morning. They finally had to use words like "but" and "however" when speaking of the future.

When fdx gave good reports in the past, the ANALysts said they were taking market share from UPS.

Now that fdx is losing a little ground, the ANALysts don't even mention that maybe UPS is taking back that market share with an aggressive sales staff. The ANALysts aren't very logical thinkers.

Hang on for the roller coaster ride as we get lumped with the competition's poor report. Ouch!

M

moreluck

Merrill Lynch analysts downgraded not only FedEx shares to neutral from buy on Thursday, but also those of rival UPS (UPS: news, chart, profile) , after the report. "FedEx's slower than expected volume growth signifies the economy is growing slower than we anticipated," wrote Merrill Lynch analyst Ken Hoexter.

M

moreluck

, Jun 23, 2005 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- UPS (UPS) today reaffirmed its financial guidance for the second quarter of 2005, saying it expected diluted earnings per share in a range of $0.82 to $0.87 compared to the $0.72 reported during the prior-year period.

The company also reiterated that volumes were growing as expected during the quarter with U.S. domestic volume growth ahead of original projections and international export growth maintaining its strength with double-digit growth.

"As the second quarter comes to a close, UPS continues to see momentum across each of its business segments," said Mike Eskew, UPS's chairman and CEO. "We also continue to expect earnings for the year to increase 16% to 20% as compared to the adjusted $2.90 reported for 2004."

The 2004 diluted EPS on a GAAP basis was $2.93

M

my2cents

FedEx stock is getting hammered today, despite their positive earnings report. Down over 6 points or so as I write this. UPS off a bit to. Investors believe there will be an upcoming price war, primarily on ground shipments, between these two companies.

M

moreluck

It's about time FDX gets hammered. They have tap-danced over verbage these past 2 earnings reports. Now it's come back to bite them! Gotta be straight with Wall St.!