Stolen package, forged signature, is there anything we can do?

I'm really sorry if this isn't kosher to post here or if it's in the wrong section.

My husband ordered an ipad a few weeks ago. It was supposed to be delivered on monday morning, so I stayed home and waited for it, but it never came. When we looked it up, it said it had been delivered and that my husband had signed for it(he was at work, an hour and a half away). He called both UPS and Apple and they "ran an investigation", which showed that he signed for it and it was delivered correctly, so Apple won't refund us or send a new one and we're out about $900. Is there anything at all we can do in this situation? Is it really that easy for them to just up and screw us?

If you paid by credit card call your credit card and tell them of the fraud. If you are runing a scam and you think you'll get away with it that would be called interstate transit. The FBI gets involved in these matters.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I didn't know we delivered Ipads straight from Apple, I thought Fedex did those and we handled the Iphones. We use GPS to mark our deliveries, all this sounds fishy to me.

Erm, no. I am not trying to run a scam. I'm pretty sure our UPS guy is, though.

We will contact our credit card provider, though I'm sure they'll just ask UPS and come to the same conclusion.

My husband's signature will be different and he may be able to satisfactorily prove that he was nowhere near home at the time of the supposed delivery as he works in a field where he needs to keep a detailed log and his truck is even fitted with a GPS unit so his company can keep tabs on their driving habits/gas consumption/etc. I really do not want to have to hire a lawyer, but even more so I do not want to let them get away with this.

whenIgetthere

Erm, no. I am not trying to run a scam. I'm pretty sure our UPS guy is, though.

We will contact our credit card provider, though I'm sure they'll just ask UPS and come to the same conclusion.

My husband's signature will be different and he may be able to satisfactorily prove that he was nowhere near home at the time of the supposed delivery as he works in a field where he needs to keep a detailed log and his truck is even fitted with a GPS unit so his company can keep tabs on their driving habits/gas consumption/etc. I really do not want to have to hire a lawyer, but even more so I do not want to let them get away with this.

The previous poster thought you might be "ruining" a scam that someone else is running, I believe. We deliver a lot of ipods and anytime we see more than a couple going to the same address, we think it might be fraud or stoeln credit card. Call your credit card company and have apple watch where it is registered. We had a Fedex courier fired for stealing ipods and registering them under his own name. That's how they got caught, they never got caught in the act.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The driver would have to be within a couple hundred feet of your address and forge the signature to pull this off. If we have a dishonest driver, I hope he gets nailed. Its hard to believe someone would risk a fairly good paying job in this economy to pull something this stupid off.

I am sure it looks bad on our part and that's why they can so easily dismiss us, but I feel helpless and livid and more or less want to beat the crap out of the guy. The same guy comes through most days. We order a lot of stuff online so I've gotten to know his face. We ordered two ipads, one for me and one for my husband, and mine arrived via UPS without issue. Sorry, I'm just babbling at this point.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am sure it looks bad on our part and that's why they can so easily dismiss us, but I feel helpless and livid and more or less want to beat the crap out of the guy. The same guy comes through most days. We order a lot of stuff online so I've gotten to know his face. We ordered two ipads, one for me and one for my husband, and mine arrived via UPS without issue. Sorry, I'm just babbling at this point.

I am very sorry for your inconvenience. You need to call Apple back and ask them to initiate a claim for the missing i-Pad. They will then ask UPS to initiate a Driver Follow Up, which is our way of asking the consignee to verify whether or not they received the package. In your case, the DFU will be for Signature Denial. The DFU will also have a Google Earth image of the location of the DIAD, which is the "computer" the driver carries, at the time of delivery. As Scratch mentioned, the driver would need to be within 200 yards of your house for the delivery to be considered as having been made at the right address. As for the signature, the signature that was used to record the delivery will be on the DFU. You can also see the signature if you track the package at ups.com.

A driver forging a signature on a package could be grounds for termination so please make sure that you have your ducks in a row before going any further.

Last edited by a moderator:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I didn't know we delivered Ipads straight from Apple, I thought Fedex did those and we handled the Iphones. We use GPS to mark our deliveries, all this sounds fishy to me.
plus one,, how about a tracking number????copy the page and hide the personal info

tracker2762

I delivered one today. Customer left an shipment release authorization at his door and I released it. Maybe this is what her husband did.

plus one,, how about a tracking number????copy the page and hide the personal info

That's odd because when we contacted Apple and asked if we could get the replacement(before they finished investigating and denied us) shipped fedex instead because of this mess, they said they couldn't do that.

WORLD EASE
Service:UPS Worldwide Express
Weight:1.30 kgs
Shipped/Billed On:05/05/2011
Delivered On: 05/09/2011 9:52 A.M.
Delivered To: FORT WORTH, TX, US
Signed By:*insert husband's last name*
Left At:Residential

Happy?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's odd because when we contacted Apple and asked if we could get the replacement(before they finished investigating and denied us) shipped fedex instead because of this mess, they said they couldn't do that.

WORLD EASE
Service:UPS Worldwide Express
Weight:1.30 kgs
Shipped/Billed On:05/05/2011
Delivered On: 05/09/2011 9:52 A.M.
Delivered To: FORT WORTH, TX, US
Signed By:*insert husband's last name*
Left At:Residential

Happy?

This doesn't really help. What we need is the tracking number--it is 18 characters and starts with "1Z".

This doesn't really help. What we need is the tracking number--it is 18 characters and starts with "1Z".

Yeaahh I kind of figured, but I don't particularly want to give out personal information just to prove something was shipped to me from apple, so unless it would somehow help in a way other than proving that I'm not a troll, I don't feel comfortable.

My husband did not leave a release at the door. He had me wait home to sign for it.

Re-Raise

Anyway, thank you for the advice. We will try everything we can.

When a shipper files a claim the driver will have to come to you with a driver follow up to sign stating that you didn't receive the package.

We don't just ignore these things. We have our own loss prevention people who take any type of dishonesty very seriously. If you are legit don't give up until you find out what happened.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeaahh I kind of figured, but I don't particularly want to give out personal information just to prove something was shipped to me from apple, so unless it would somehow help in a way other than proving that I'm not a troll, I don't feel comfortable.

My husband did not leave a release at the door. He had me wait home to sign for it.

I understand and share your hesitation. You can do a little detective work of your own. Go to ups.com, track the package, ask for delivery confirmation. This should give you an image of the signature that was secured at delivery. Compare this to your husband's, keeping in mind that signatures on the DIAD will not be exactly the same but should be close.

The delivery time (9:52 am) leads me to think it was shippped NDA, which means that it may not have been delivered by your regular driver. We use air drivers or will dispatch NDA with the drivers who will be going through those areas before 10:30, which is our commit time for NDA delivery.

Please let us know how this ends up. Dave.

UPSGUY72

Are you sure your Husband was at work ?? and you weren't home ??? Did you and your husband order your Ipad at the same time ???

Like someone else said the Diad that we use has a GPS and depending on the area the package car also has GPS in it. So UPS know exactly where the driver stop completed the package. Does the signature that UPS from the deliver and that of your husband the same ??

Also understand that Your address will be put on a No Driver Release status and every package that goes to your house will have to be signed for.

I would file a police report $900 is alot of money to be out.