Stolen package, forged signature, is there anything we can do?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The driver would have to be within a couple hundred feet of your address and forge the signature to pull this off. If we have a dishonest driver, I hope he gets nailed. Its hard to believe someone would risk a fairly good paying job in this economy to pull something this stupid off.
We've had a diver do just this and was caught by LP on video.

I am sure it looks bad on our part and that's why they can so easily dismiss us, but I feel helpless and livid and more or less want to beat the crap out of the guy. The same guy comes through most days. We order a lot of stuff online so I've gotten to know his face. We ordered two ipads, one for me and one for my husband, and mine arrived via UPS without issue. Sorry, I'm just babbling at this point.
There are many scenario's to what may have happened. Driver stole pkg, Person saw driver leave pkg and stole pkg, Customer is not being honest, Pkg delivered to a neighbor mistakenly and driver typed in name that was on pkg, etc... If you call the shipper, and "calmly" explain the circumstances, (not suspicions), the problem will be solved.

I once got into an altercation with someone that approached my car, (family inside), with a large stick. I jumped out of the car, knocked the person down, took the stick and threw it across 3 lanes of traffic, into some woods. I then left that area and was followed by someone who called the police and said that I had attacked someone with a stick. Things aren't always how they "appear'.

I think troll is a term loosely used when one believes a contributor to a web-site is posting under false or dubious pretenses. When I started at BC the term was used frequently. In fact I hold the honor of being on some peoples list of "favorite trolls" (an actual thread a couple years ago).
You're not a Troll?

That was what made me question the validity of the OP. She was the one who brought up the term when she was the one looking for help. It just struck me as odd. But, it is hard for me to judge odd.:wink2:

As for trolls, I am sure some think of me as one. Maybe, they are right. Who knows? I've never contributed to any website before BC. If I hadn't needed help, I might never have discovered this little gem.:happy2:

I might look up the thread one day. Probably would be a fun read.:happy-very:
Please don't let menotyou be a Troll!:happy2:

rod

Retired 22 years
I heard it was a driver supervisor who had the sticky fingers. He was secretly delivering by himself to get his centers numbers to look better. They do it all the time you know. He and his center manager sold hot tech stuff on the side to support their drug habits.

over9five

Staff member
Don't you think that's a little harsh? While I am sure 99.99999% of UPS drivers are hard-working, honest individuals, it's not out of the realm of possibility for there to be an occasional bad apple (no pun intended):
Nope. I've seen MANY dishonest customers, very few dishonest drivers. It makes me feel very sad that so many BCers have chosen to throw the driver under the bus.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I've seen MANY dishonest customers, very few dishonest drivers.

Ain't that the truth. I have handed packages to quite a few customers and later they claim they never got it. We had a driver get in trouble last week for backing into somebody's driveway to make a delivery. The consignee called in a complaint saying he wanted his whole driveway repaved to repair the old cracks in it and we must have caved in the septic tank in his backyard too......

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Based on what she presented--unfortunately, no. I don't think it was her regular driver--I think it was either an air driver or another driver delivering air on the way to his area. It would have been nice had she posted the tracking number but I understand why she chose not to. I hope that I am wrong and that the OP is trying to pull a fast one but I just don't see it.
I believe you are too quick to question the credibility of a fellow UPSer without knowing all the facts.
Reminds me of a center manager I had years ago. I was on vacation and the cover driver filling in for me delivered a high value fish locator from Cabelas to one of my customers. The following week I get a driver followup because consignee denied getting the package. center manager wanted cover driver to pay for the package she obviously misdelivered (in his words). The next week I deliver a replacement fish locator and have consignee sign for it. A couple weeks later, I get a call tag to pickup the fish locator. Customer hands me the package and I immediately call the center for the tracking number of the "lost" package. BINGO-WE HAVE A THIEF! Customer gave me the parcel to return that he had denied receiving.

washington57

No genius. the iPad STARTS at $500 and goes well into the $900 range.

The largest model with 3G goes for $829(i honestly don't get why people buy them? apparently they are mostly used for games that my iphone plays already). I just don't believe her at all. She posts as Rachel Federman (seems like a real name?) but won't give out the tracking number? This seems more like someone trying to get someone from the inside to tell her/him how to scam UPS.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The largest model with 3G goes for $829(i honestly don't get why people buy them? apparently they are mostly used for games that my iphone plays already). I just don't believe her at all. She posts as Rachel Federman (seems like a real name?) but won't give out the tracking number? This seems more like someone trying to get someone from the inside to tell her/him how to scam UPS.
And here we have yet another theory. I really like this one!

Re-Raise

If it is true it is odd that she came here for information. If I didn't sign for something and someone claimed that I did it would be game on.

I would find the center and I would be having a discussion with whoever said they got my signature, whether it was UPS a bank or anywhere else that I sign for things. At some point the driver has to explain to her husband face to face why his name is on the DIAD, if it is legit.

bigbrownhen

Wow, aren't we a bunch of cynical know it alls. :wink2: I for one think it was probably delivered to the wrong address. Driver" Hi, have a package for you".....customer signs, driver can't read sig, but remembers name on pkg, types it in while walking back to truck. It could be at a neighbors house, or next street over if in a populated area with similar street names, i.e. pinehill, oakhill and so on where all the houses look alike. We are human and make mistakes, especially when in a hurry.

To the OP, just contact the shipper and have them file a claim for a lost package. UPS will check into it with GPS to see exactly where it was delivered. Mystery will be solved.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPS will check into it with GPS to see exactly where it was delivered. Mystery will be solved.

The GPS is a lot more accurate than the 2-300 feet they tell us. I had a cover driver DR a box with a bad street number on it once. LP pulled the tracking number up and it showed exactly where the driver scanned and left the box. He entered "DR FD" at an empty corner house. I found the box at the side door at the spot where the map quest photo showed it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The GPS is a lot more accurate than the 2-300 feet they tell us. I had a cover driver DR a box with a bad street number on it once. LP pulled the tracking number up and it showed exactly where the driver scanned and left the box. He entered "DR FD" at an empty corner house. I found the box at the side door at the spot where the map quest photo showed it.

I would suspect UPS has already done this, hence the denial of the claim.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If it is true it is odd that she came here for information. If I didn't sign for something and someone claimed that I did it would be game on.

I would find the center and I would be having a discussion with whoever said they got my signature, whether it was UPS a bank or anywhere else that I sign for things. At some point the driver has to explain to her husband face to face why his name is on the DIAD, if it is legit.
You've got that right!

Wow, aren't we a bunch of cynical know it alls. :wink2: I for one think it was probably delivered to the wrong address. Driver" Hi, have a package for you".....customer signs, driver can't read sig, but remembers name on pkg, types it in while walking back to truck. It could be at a neighbors house, or next street over if in a populated area with similar street names, i.e. pinehill, oakhill and so on where all the houses look alike. We are human and make mistakes, especially when in a hurry.

To the OP, just contact the shipper and have them file a claim for a lost package. UPS will check into it with GPS to see exactly where it was delivered. Mystery will be solved.
Insert cynicsm.....yet ANOTHER theory, though I must say that I did cover this in a previous post, LOL.

I would suspect UPS has already done this, hence the denial of the claim.
Hmmmm, can you say....