Stop thinking in crisis, start thinking in opportunities!

pudg00

pudg00
Thanks, that would be very useful. I will give you a perfect example of what happens in our center all of the time. Submit lead. Lead is sold. I have told everyone that will listen this lead is to be a everyday pickup. Del. to customer and am asked why we are not picking up everyday. Tell rep. still nothing is done. This has been going on since Nov. Was laid of 4wks ago. Talking to driver that is running that route and he has been given lead for increasing volume with this customer (from occational to everyday) so I am sure you can see the problem.

wisedragonfly

Well isn't that special? So you're given the nice nice treatment as you walk in the door at 10:30am, and then again as you leave at 3pm. It certainly is a hardknock life, for you.

Ain't that the truth.

LOL very funny, stevetheupsguy! :funny: If you must know, my start time is 8am-4:45pm. I usually start by 7:45am at the latest and don't usually leave until 5pm, sometimes later. Depending what UPS handed me on a given day. No, UPS does not pay me OT, it's my own time and I'm not salary. I do it my way because when I was hired I was taught that I had to be at my work station ready to work by my start time. I choose to come in a little early so I don't feel rushed all day, because that makes me grouchy! :angry: I do whatever I can to make myself happy, including coming in a little early and going home a little late. I do take pride in my job, without a doubt! Go ahead laugh and call me an idiot. It is what it is and I like the way I do it. It's really not a big deal, it's part of my character. Many days are pretty tough working in BD, but I love my job! :peaceful:

tourists24

LOL very funny, stevetheupsguy! :funny: If you must know, my start time is 8am-4:45pm. I usually start by 7:45am at the latest and don't usually leave until 5pm, sometimes later. Depending what UPS handed me on a given day. No, UPS does not pay me OT, it's my own time and I'm not salary. I do it my way because when I was hired I was taught that I had to be at my work station ready to work by my start time. I choose to come in a little early so I don't feel rushed all day, because that makes me grouchy! :angry: I do whatever I can to make myself happy, including coming in a little early and going home a little late. I do take pride in my job, without a doubt! Go ahead laugh and call me an idiot. It is what it is and I like the way I do it. It's really not a big deal, it's part of my character. Many days are pretty tough working in BD, but I love my job! :peaceful:
You poor thing.... having to stay til 5pm.... how ever do you survive?

MikeTbob

I can tell you one thing, when you submit 10 - 15 sales leads (I have) and not one of them get sold, you have to wonder what the heck is going on. I see Fedex Freight trucks parked where UPS freight trucks used to be and it bothers me to see it, but every time I ask the people in the shipping dept why Fedex is getting all the business, they always reply the same thing....Fedex is cheaper.
So, why should I submit sales leads if UPS can't meet or beat the prices?

wisedragonfly

a
Thanks, that would be very useful. I will give you a perfect example of what happens in our center all of the time. Submit lead. Lead is sold. I have told everyone that will listen this lead is to be a everyday pickup. Del. to customer and am asked why we are not picking up everyday. Tell rep. still nothing is done. This has been going on since Nov. Was laid of 4wks ago. Talking to driver that is running that route and he has been given lead for increasing volume with this customer (from occational to everyday) so I am sure you can see the problem. Are we allowed to do this?

It is a BIG problem!

I'll talk with my management team tomorrow to figure out a way to fix the problem. Once the customer is setup to ship, your lead shouldn't be an issue, IF the customer's volume increases from what is normal for them. Existing customer's volume must grow to be awarded points. You only get all package volume on brand new accounts. The lead is tracked for 13 weeks.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If you worked smarter, maybe you could have those hours too.

If only I was like you, is what you mean, correct? Sorry, but I'm not skipping my lunch, sorting my car before start time, driving like a mad man, running off trace, or any of the miriad of things that you probably do, so you can get home early. If wisebutterfly wants to pretend that she works so hard putting in "all" those hours, then so be it. I'l work smart and safe, like I should. Good luck with that upcoming back/knee/shoulder/hernia surgery, 1989.:surprised:

Working4TheBene's

I definitely think it is crucial for the sales folks to pound the pavement and close the deals.... you can only bring in so many leads, but it is up to BD to close the deal....

More importantly, I think all the inside sorts need to work of keeping the packages in one piece... it's one thing to have it come to us damaged, and we use a whole roll of tape to patch it up, but it is another if "we" are the ones causing the damages as it get processed through the system and send it off to other hubs in disrepair.....this leads to a big mess for other to clean up....

Hopefully by reducing the amount of damages, we will keep more of our customers and reduce the amount of claims we payout (...which ultimately will help our bottom line!)

If only I was like you, is what you mean, correct? Sorry, but I'm not skipping my lunch, sorting my car before start time, driving like a mad man, running off trace, or any of the miriad of things that you probably do, so you can get home early. If wisebutterfly wants to pretend that she works so hard putting in "all" those hours, then so be it. I'l work smart and safe, like I should. Good luck with that upcoming back/knee/shoulder/hernia surgery, 1989.:surprised:

Put in your letter, and you can have the cushie job you think wisebutterfly has. My job is much easier than hers. I deliver one stop at a time and never get home before 18:30 because I usually help somebody. I haven't had a lost time injury in 20 years and hope to never to have one.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Put in your letter, and you can have the cushie job you think wisebutterfly has. My job is much easier than hers. I deliver one stop at a time and never get home before 18:30 because I usually help somebody. I haven't had a lost time injury in 20 years and hope to never to have one.

And why is it that you seem to have a need to respond to me?

I definitely think it is crucial for the sales folks to pound the pavement and close the deals.... you can only bring in so many leads, but it is up to BD to close the deal....

More importantly, I think all the inside sorts need to work of keeping the packages in one piece... it's one thing to have it come to us damaged, and we use a whole roll of tape to patch it up, but it is another if "we" are the ones causing the damages as it get processed through the system and send it off to other hubs in disrepair.....this leads to a big mess for other to clean up....

Hopefully by reducing the amount of damages, we will keep more of our customers and reduce the amount of claims we payout (...which ultimately will help our bottom line!)
This is all part of what I was referring to when I mentioned retaining the business we already have. There was a day when drivers were not allowed to have a roll of tape in their package car, it's not supposed to be our job to retape boxes that are not supposed to be loaded the start with. CUSTOMER SERVICE is the name of the game.

BrownSuit

Think in opportunities

As was mentioned previously, it's not just about going after new volume, it's about existing volume as well.

The site listed above is TNT a major international carrier, specializing mainly in Europe.

Those that referenced DHL earlier, keep in mind, they aren't gone. I see their little yellow vans still at least twice a week going down the street. They are just doing solely international.

Both of these customers have no domestic presence and are doing strictly international. They should be easy wins, who wants to deal with a company that can't handle all their needs.

Those international shipments are worth 40 volume points, 8X a Ground Package, almost 3X a NDA and 4X any other air service.

In addition, they are highly profitable pieces, you want to bring your brothers back on the road again, turn in a slew of international leads.

It's not all about new business, it's also about retention. One of the things to mention to your existing customers who you are likely having to spend time checking docs is Paperless Invoice (The driver's responsibilities here vary from district to district).

It's an easy way to retain customers, get volume points from a sold lead, and eliminate potential customs holds. It could potentially eliminate a headache for you. I realize that these issues are handled differently in each district. If you are one of the ones that has to check, it's an easy way to get home faster.

Salesguy

Sales Member
Well, months has passed by and still the world is in crisis mode.
An excellent opportunity for you to enter a lead or two today or the day after.
Or like steve the ups guy does, go out and sport, talk to everyone about how great UPS is.

A great icebreakers you can use during eg: a party, a drink with friends, thanksgiving dinner:

Why ship less if you can ship UPS?
Less table, more meat? enter a lead!

klein

Für Meno :)
I got a suggestion for salesguy.
Instead of having spies (investigators) just following us, and watch as do our job (unloading, uploading, driving habits ect),
Why can't a slaes rep drive along ?
Watch us for 10 stops, then return to those companies, I stopped at.
Introduce yourself, UPS Salesperson, and you have just been serviced by us. This is a routine check-up, and you'ld like to know how the service went today. If we were polite , curtious, etc (all of us are).
And then you can ask beyond that, if they would like more service from UPS, and the benifits of having UPS as thier major shipper.

Drivers don't have the time, and if we do, those leads are just from a very short conversation, and aren't worth anything.

Or is that to hard to implement, in the dinosaur way we get leads ?

One more thing, I would like to mention, anyone with a UPS Store on thier route probably has noticed this:
They are aggressive ! (the owners).
They take a lot of pick up business away from us.

I had to pick up 30-40 RS packages twice a week, going back to DELL computers (from the UPS Store), from 1 sender !
She (the owner) receives $1.00 a package for dropoffs.

I don't know how you plan to control that. She is out there every day, asking hotels, companies, etc to use her service.
(left behind items at hotels) - yes, thats another big issue.
But, I can't steal those pick-ups back from her.

Now, you have more of on insight, how it is out there.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
They are aggressive ! (the (ups store) owners).
They take a lot of pick up business away from us.

I had to pick up 30-40 RS packages twice a week, going back to DELL computers (from the UPS Store), from 1 sender !
She (the owner) receives $1.00 a package for dropoffs.

I don't know how you plan to control that. She is out there every day, asking hotels, companies, etc to use her service.
(left behind items at hotels) - yes, thats another big issue.
But, I can't steal those pick-ups back from her.

Klein

I am trying to keep in mind that you are not an employee, so you would not have a clue to the fact that this is what UPS wants. Otherwise, why would they pay her $1 per package to hold them for us to pick them up????

We want her to get all the RS packages she can. Its a lot cheaper for her to consolidate them at her shop, than for us to go by 20 different stops instead of just hers.

The UPS stores were set up that way from the begining, and UPS is making money on them.

d

Enforcerx

During my 15+ years of employment i have gotten many sales leads, was even on the BD comittee. After sales reps started "stealing" my leads i quit turning them in. I just tell them to call the 1800 number bla bla bla. You sales lead reps are on your own as far as im concerned. Have a nice day ;)