Stopping satellite routes

trickpony1 said:
In fact, I like my life just fine.

I'm also smart enough to know that the situation may change overnite without anyone asking my opinion.

A friend and I were discussing the closure of GM plants around the country recently. He said something to the effect that ".......I knew it wouldn't last long paying someone $27 per hour to screw lug nuts on a car. See any comparisons?

"why would any company intentionally lose money to "divide and conquer" their employees?" because in the long run it will make the company money. Unlike many of it's employees, the company looks 5-10 years down the road and implements subtle "local agreements" such as satellite centers now to reap bigger dividends down the road.

Y'all better get the big picture.

Paranoid or realistic?
You haven't explained in any manner how divide and conquer makes any money in the long run. Why should anyone make $27 an hour to screw lug nuts on a car? When everything that happens is interperted to be against you - you are paranoid.

trickpony1

Where did you do your residency in psychiatry?

I don't recall saying that ".......everything that happens....to be against you (me)".

You still aren't getting the big picture.

I am one of many that is/will be affected by anything/everything that occurs when the company decides to swing it's weight around....you may not be affected as you seem to have a rather blessed existence.

The company can not stand it if they aren't in complete, total and absolute control of everything. The nasty ol' union prevents the company from a dictatorship, per se, and since the company can't one day announce "there shall be no more union, no more third party representation", then the next best thing is to slowly chip away at the union ideal. The company does this "chipping away" by slipping in "satellite centers", by showing favor to employees who are or may convert to their way of thinking by "running and gunning", working off the clock etc., thus the "divide and conquer" concept.

I can think of at least two, if not three, industries in my area that were union but aren't now. Are consumers paying less for the product since the respective company went "union-free"? I don't think so but I'm sure the employees of said companies "took it" in the wallet.

I don't know how many people have retired from your facility but we have had several and guess what? there aren't any bronze statues of these people just outside the gate.

As to a previous posters comment about how my ".......attitude sucks", my attitude? Where did I get my attitude? Can a person buy a pound of attitude at the grocery store? I believe attitude origins from within and is a direct response or reflection of how a person is treated.

Paranoid or realistic? you decide.

trickpony1 said:
Where did you do your residency in psychiatry?
I don't recall claimimg to be a psychologist. I don't, however see a conspiracy in everything that happens

I don't recall saying that ".......everything that happens....to be against you (me)".

You still aren't getting the big picture.

I am one of many that is/will be affected by anything/everything that occurs when the company decides to swing it's weight around....you may not be affected as you seem to have a rather blessed existence.
I'm not sure how you have determined I have a blessed existence. I did decide a long time ago to do my job and work on improving what I can and not spend my time worrying about what I can't.

The company can not stand it if they aren't in complete, total and absolute control of everything. The nasty ol' union prevents the company from a dictatorship, per se, and since the company can't one day announce "there shall be no more union, no more third party representation", then the next best thing is to slowly chip away at the union ideal. The company does this "chipping away" by slipping in "satellite centers", by showing favor to employees who are or may convert to their way of thinking by "running and gunning", working off the clock etc., thus the "divide and conquer" concept.
You have to admit the "divide and conquer" is an attitute that demonstrates some paranoid tendencies. I agree that negotiations for the contract take place in the actions and activities of every day. Negotiations are a two way street with both sides positioning themselves for the "upper hand." I'll again fall back on if it helps profitability then it helps secure all of our jobs.

I can think of at least two, if not three, industries in my area that were union but aren't now. Are consumers paying less for the product since the respective company went "union-free"? I don't think so but I'm sure the employees of said companies "took it" in the wallet.
The market determines prices. If people don't buy the product or in our case service it is being provided by someone else at a better price.

I don't know how many people have retired from your facility but we have had several and guess what? there aren't any bronze statues of these people just outside the gate.
After almost 30 years I know quite a few retirees, and no there aren't any bronze statues of them, but they didn't expect any. They are enjoying the benefits of their hard work.

As to a previous posters comment about how my ".......attitude sucks", my attitude? Where did I get my attitude? Can a person buy a pound of attitude at the grocery store? I believe attitude origins from within and is a direct response or reflection of how a person is treated.
We each determine our own attitute. We each decide how to react to life, how we are treated and how we treat others. Your posts display the "everything the company does is against me' attitute.

Paranoid or realistic? you decide.
Being realistic means determining how to work in whatever situation we wind up in. I don't know of any job or situation where we get to determine everything that happens. Again, your posts lean toward paranoid.

trickpony1

It's amazing.
Would someone other than me (with the twisted mind) read olebrownie's quote of what I supposedly said in my previous and see if there were some additions to my statement?

Cheryl-how did this happen? someone quoted me and somehow added to it, unless, of course, the KGB has my password.

Either that or my medication is wearing off.

Paranoid or realistic-someone needs to check it out.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
trickpony1 said:
It's amazing.
Would someone other than me (with the twisted mind) read olebrownie's quote of what I supposedly said in my previous and see if there were some additions to my statement?

Cheryl-how did this happen? someone quoted me and somehow added to it, unless, of course, the KGB has my password.

Either that or my medication is wearing off.

Paranoid or realistic-someone needs to check it out.

(The text in blue was written by Cheryl) --->It was probably a mistake... all you have to do is to type in between the quote tags and the text shows up here... It does make it a little confusing to read but I think that the additional text is a response to your post rather than an attempt to make it look like those were your words.
If you type outside the quote tags the text is shown here, which is what most people do when posting a reply.

Sorry Trick. I'm new to posting and my replying to your post didn't show as I thought it would. We might disagree on some things but I wouldn't try and change your postings.

Last edited:

trickpony1

No problem.

People use this board for various reasons, some for comic relief, some to exchange info, some to exert their control and influence. Imagine what it would be like without being able to vent here.

Apology accepted.

satellitedriver

My center is trying to implement satellite routes. I'm the job steward and I am looking for ways to prevent this. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the help.

I guess I am the only satellite driver in this discussion. I have been one for 11years. Satellite drivers is not a new idea with UPS, they have been around since the 1970's in this area of Texas. Simple idea, one driver goes to an area drops a trailer and continues on his route. Satellite driver loads his or her truck and delivers returns to trailer reloads ,if need be, sends his pickups and diad back to the center. Driver calls in his ending milage and punchout time. Gain to the driver is not making a 100 mile commute to end up where he should start his route. Gain to the company is not deadheading a truck 100 miles. There are no jobs gained or lost. Only time and miles gained. It is nice to be able to kiss my wife goodbye in the morning, intsead of sneeking out so I will not wake the house to get to work.Stop something else that is wrong instead of satellite routes.

satellitedriver

how is it a 9.0 day when they start at 8:30 and finish at 1715? That would make it a 775 day around here.

I would like it still though, if i lived close. I dont want a lot of overtime.

17:15 is when the satellite driver needs to be back at the trailer so it can be pulled back to the center. It is not the punchout time . Usually, it takes about two more hours for the satellite drive to complete his day.
Steve

SmithBarney

Yes I revived this old topic,

Heres a question, and can somebody cite the proper part of the contract.

One of our Satellite Centers is adding a new route.
One of our Main Center Senior Drivers wants to bid this
route, she is told she cannot, and that the Union
says that its not allowed and that they are hiring a street hire.

Is this right?

Gman24

I don;t know of any problems that these routes are causing at my center. I was fortunate because the route the became a SAT> route was the rural route that I was on before it became a Sat. route. The route was satellited to my home town. Our local came up with language that was agreed upon with management and the "UNION". It was signed by both and I have a copy in my truck and there is one at the center posted. Why can't you guys do that?

There has to be a few that this will benefit at your center. It has saved me drive time to work about 40 minutes, wear and tear on my vehicle as well as saved gas money. The guy who covers my route when I am off also lives here. That's 2 people that it has benefitted.
My center manager says that both Sat. routes at our center will save the company about $20,000 each per year.

As far as miles, before the route became a SAT. route I was running 50-60 stops and around 225 miles a day. I now run about 150-160 miles and 70-80 stops. I am working about the same amount of overtime each week that I was before it became a Sat. route. I have to be back at the TP60 and bring my P/U volume back by 6 p.m. and then go back out and finish up. I save close in stops to run then. I don;t start till 9:30 so it takes me till 6:30 to get 8 in. I average about an hour a day ovetime.

That's one thing I really can;t understand with the LOCALS fighting these things. If it did not benefit ANYONE at your center I might can understand it, but there has to be a few that it will benefit. As for me I have NO COMPLAINTS.

Gman24

Yes I revived this old topic,

Heres a question, and can somebody cite the proper part of the contract.

One of our Satellite Centers is adding a new route.
One of our Main Center Senior Drivers wants to bid this
route, she is told she cannot, and that the Union
says that its not allowed and that they are hiring a street hire.

Is this right?

For anyone interested I will be glad to send you a copy of the LOCAL agreemant on Satellite routes.

It covers EVERYTHING, from BIDDING to coverage, to liability of drivers with theft, cod's, vandalism. NOthing is left uncovered.

Gman24

SmithBarney

Gman, I wouldn't mind having this. I can't PM you, but perhaps you can PM me?
Or even if you have a document # that my Steward can look into.

ups_vette

trickpony said "I believe attitude origins from within and is a direct responce or reflection of how a person was treated."

Trickster.. This an accurate quote of yours.

So, you are saying that a serial killer who was beaten and mistreated as a child is justified in killing innocent people because his attitude towards others is a result of how he was treated.

You are also justifing the child molester who was molested as a child and developed the attitude that it's ok to molest children because of the way he was treated.

A serial killer or child molester would love to have you sitting on the jury because you feel the crime was jusified because of the way the defendent's attitude to the crime was developed by the way he had been treated.

Paranoid or Realistic

I vote PARANOID

Gman24

Gman, I wouldn't mind having this. I can't PM you, but perhaps you can PM me?
Or even if you have a document # that my Steward can look into.

Tried to PM you, but can;t. I meant to bring the papers tonight just in case someone was interested. I will BE sure and bring them home with me FRIDAY night.

If we aren;t able to contact each other I will start a THREAD either tomorrow night or sometime this weekend with the entire agreement. It is a couple of pages long and covers EVERYTHING in regards to the Satellite routes.

dammor

I don;t know of any problems that these routes are causing at my center. I was fortunate because the route the became a SAT> route was the rural route that I was on before it became a Sat. route. The route was satellited to my home town. Our local came up with language that was agreed upon with management and the "UNION". It was signed by both and I have a copy in my truck and there is one at the center posted. Why can't you guys do that?

There has to be a few that this will benefit at your center. It has saved me drive time to work about 40 minutes, wear and tear on my vehicle as well as saved gas money. The guy who covers my route when I am off also lives here. That's 2 people that it has benefitted.
My center manager says that both Sat. routes at our center will save the company about $20,000 each per year.

As far as miles, before the route became a SAT. route I was running 50-60 stops and around 225 miles a day. I now run about 150-160 miles and 70-80 stops. I am working about the same amount of overtime each week that I was before it became a Sat. route. I have to be back at the TP60 and bring my P/U volume back by 6 p.m. and then go back out and finish up. I save close in stops to run then. I don;t start till 9:30 so it takes me till 6:30 to get 8 in. I average about an hour a day ovetime.

That's one thing I really can;t understand with the LOCALS fighting these things. If it did not benefit ANYONE at your center I might can understand it, but there has to be a few that it will benefit. As for me I have NO COMPLAINTS.
I'm glad this worked out well for you, but for most senior drivers it does not. We have a run for 8, 10, 12 years and are pretty much a part of the town we are delivering to. We know everyones name, where they eat lunch, thier dogs names, what vechicle they drive, thier phone numbers, and they have our cell numbers as well. Then we are told the run is moving 60 miles away and if we choose to follow it we will have to drive up there in our personal vechicle to start at 10:30 and load our truck in a dirt field and work till 9:00 or 10:00 or 11:00 and then drive 60 miles back home in our personal vechicle. There is no way a person with any sense would think this is a good deal, so we don't follow it and end up back in a P10 at the age of 50. Then the company realizes this is not saving money and they move them back to the center. Then new management comes in and has a grand plan to start this madness again. If it happens again it will be the 3rd time for me. I'll manage it either way, but this is more than irritating to say the least. Point being, it is not a win/win by any means. It fells more like a screw/screw to me.

tieguy

Banned
If the drivers have to go back out on the routes after dropping off pickups,UPS is not saving any miles!!!!!I hardly call it a win/win situation.

Of course its a win/win for many drivers who now drive less miles to and from work then before. Yet here comes trick pony to turn it all into an evil plot designed to undermine the masses. Go figure.

trickpony1

I'm in trouble now.

I've got two management posters tag teaming me, one of which revived a quote I allegedly made from some obscure, since forgotten, thread.

gotta love it!