Stops per car.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Ok of late they have been back on this stops per car BS, but then my sup. was talking to a couple of us and this is what he said.

When you go to a stop with a NDA dont worry about digging any ground packages that go with it, since it would in fact lower the SPC. So basically we are now being told dont grab all the packages you have for a giving stop, dont give the customer great service, dont save the company a few bucks.

NO NO NO, all that matters is Stops Per Car. Now I own stock in this company, I like much about UPS, I like being able to give my customers all their packages at one time if I can.

Can someone please tell me how bad service, driving more time to extra stops is going to save money and time. What is wrong with this company that MGMT, is now coming up with ways to give worse service to meet numbers that dont make sense in the first place.

Is UPS trying to put itself out of business? Is FEDEX as dumb as UPS?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yup, now it's called "work as directed".

Not this kid---I will continue to "dig out the ground" and "take care of the customer"--I must be "old school".

BTW, NDA for a stop that you already have in EDD does not increase the dispatched SPC for the center. Artificially increasing this number will result in IE changing the metric.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Not this kid---I will continue to "dig out the ground" and "take care of the customer"--I must be "old school".

BTW, NDA for a stop that you already have in EDD does not increase the dispatched SPC for the center. Artificially increasing this number will result in IE changing the metric.

this isnt the 80's anymore...you have no say in 99% of the daily activities of a driver anymore...its work as directed, which you have said on these forums many a time. If you dont like being on a telematics report for seatbelt you really arent going to like having a warning letter for not following directions...right???Remember the saying.."you run your route the way you want like its your own company"....it wasnt so long ago when I remember that one and im not even close to your age grandpa. I think you should just embrace the suck and stop caring so much...who on here has the tag line " not caring is fun!!"

UPSGUY72

Same here I'm not going back to the same stop twice unless it's for a pick up later in the day. If I have air on a side street I try to get rid on all the ground packages for that street at the same time. Nothing like wasting time and going out of your way going back to a stop or area that you already been at...

This might mean I need to move a little faster in morning which also means I can just cruise around in the afternoon...

Buck Fifty

Ok of late they have been back on this stops per car BS, but then my sup. was talking to a couple of us and this is what he said.

When you go to a stop with a NDA dont worry about digging any ground packages that go with it, since it would in fact lower the SPC. So basically we are now being told dont grab all the packages you have for a giving stop, dont give the customer great service, dont save the company a few bucks.

NO NO NO, all that matters is Stops Per Car. Now I own stock in this company, I like much about UPS, I like being able to give my customers all their packages at one time if I can.

Can someone please tell me how bad service, driving more time to extra stops is going to save money and time. What is wrong with this company that MGMT, is now coming up with ways to give worse service to meet numbers that dont make sense in the first place.

Is UPS trying to put itself out of business? Is FEDEX as dumb as UPS?

Too many variables to say whether or not digging for pkgs worth it. Sometimes ya can and sometimes ya cant. I do it when i can and dont when i cant. This is my rule of thumb. but of course i'm always in the best interest of the company. Ultimately its always gonna be drivers discretion, which it should be.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have represented drivers who wound up delivering air 1 minute late because they had taken time to try and dig the ground stops out at a previous stop, and the "reward" they get for trying to be efficient and productive is a warning letter. Solution? Shut your brain off and deliver the air first and the ground later, if it means a bunch of wasted time and miles so be it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If I can grab the ground I will. If not, I go back. I know I could deliver alot more ground if I left 30 minutes earlier like back in the days of service.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wouldn't getting two PAL numbers in EDD for NDA and GND help show the higher stops per car?

Not if they are for the same stop.

I get 8-12 NDA stops and am usually able to run trace on these stops as well as a few ground stops along the way. My first stop is Walmart--there is no way I am going to deliver just the air and then go back for the ground as it is very hard to get an open dock there.

As long as you have the last air stop in the DIAD and not in prerecord before 1030 you will not have lates.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have represented drivers who wound up delivering air 1 minute late because they had taken time to try and dig the ground stops out at a previous stop, and the "reward" they get for trying to be efficient and productive is a warning letter. Solution? Shut your brain off and deliver the air first and the ground later, if it means a bunch of wasted time and miles so be it.

It is possible to deliver both ground and air at the same time---you just have to be smart about it. If it comes down to a time crunch break trace and get rid of the air.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

this isnt the 80's anymore...you have no say in 99% of the daily activities of a driver anymore...its work as directed, which you have said on these forums many a time. If you dont like being on a telematics report for seatbelt you really arent going to like having a warning letter for not following directions...right???Remember the saying.."you run your route the way you want like its your own company"....it wasnt so long ago when I remember that one and im not even close to your age grandpa. I think you should just embrace the suck and stop caring so much...who on here has the tag line " not caring is fun!!"

I will stop caring in 7 years--until then I will "run my route the way I want" both safely and efficiently.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As long as you have the last air stop in the DIAD and not in prerecord before 1030 you will not have lates.
This could get you in big trouble where I am all air is to be sheeted at the stop. No sheeting it at your previous stop then driving to it like the good old days. I have had a fair amount of late air in the last year for this reason alone. When you have to break 15 miles for an air stop it's just hard to judge that time and all the variables that can make it take longer than normal.

tfinnegan

happy exupser
The problem began when more of the UPPER managment came from anyplace EXCEPT the driving ranks. Even tho the company says we promote from within, if you look at most recent promotions, most were just hired and then promoted into management, but never were drivers. So in time that is who is going to be making decisions.. They are looking at the bottom line not about serving the customers and making them happy. Yes it does make sense to give your customer all his packages at once, but I am sure some IE person has figured it takes too long to dig in the package car for the regular packages than it does to make another trip back there later in the day. Another way would be to sheet the next day as 1 stop and then sheet the remaining packages as another...IS it padding stops? Not really because that is all you would have been doing anyway if you had to go back, you just are saving the time and fuel of going back a 2nd time.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It was no different 20 years ago without technology. If you could grab ground with the air you did, if not you went back. It changes everyday and I do what works that day. Mgmnt has no place in these decisions. This is day to day reality.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I will stop caring in 7 years--until then I will "run my route the way I want" both safely and efficiently.

Hey,as long as you can stand up to your sup when they ask you what's going on all the more power to you...the phrase " work as directed" has just been used much more the last couple years than ever before...