Strategy ideas for UPS

special brownie

Hey guys! I'm in the process of an interview and required to do an assignment. I am trying to identify two innovative strategic priorities over the next 5 years for UPS, and outline possible solutions associated with these strategic priorities. Having UPS deliver on Sundays would be a good example. I would like to hear what ideas you guys may have. Thanks!
Here is an idea. Ask employees who talk with customers everyday how to improve service, not some person off the street that has no idea what this company needs to improve.

Scuba Steve

UPS Airlines eliminate mixed fleet reducing multiple manufacturer spare parts, engines, and training.
UPS has both PW and RR engined aircraft for 757 fleet. Sell them off to eliminate having two different engine types with spares reducing parts inventory. Replace with more 767's that have one engine type.

Sell off the MD-11's. Again two different engine types in the UPS fleet. 3 engine aircraft. Replace with a combination of more 767 and 777 aircraft. This will reduce parts and MX costs from going to 3 engines to two and not having to carry two different engine types for the same aircraft. It will also replace the MD-11 with more fuel efficient aircraft with better range.

Sell off the A300. Replace with more 767's. A300 doesn't have the range of the 767. Very very few interchangeable parts with the 767. Less lift than the 767. This will reduce parts inventory, reduce MX costs. Reduce pilot training for different aircraft. Better aircraft utilization. The 767 can reach Europe and Asia from the US along with domestic routes.

Sell off the 747-400. Replace with the 777. Save money by going from a 4 engine to a 2 engine aircraft. Reduce parts inventory with engines. More fuel efficient and better range. A little less lift than the 744. Can add more flights frequencies to improve customer transit times. Able to skip the ANC tech/fuel stop from Asia improving transit times.

The entire UPS fleet would be based on 2 aircraft. The 767 and 777 aircraft. Less parts inventory. Less MX cost. Less type rating and training for pilots going from 4 type ratings to 2.

40 stops to freedom

69e81ca9b9200477ce1ca9d49a02cb63.jpg
one of these in every car
take out the driver seat so there is no more sitting around wasting time
put a little flipper on the last step to give you a good push on your brisk walk

Indecisi0n

This is actually for an entry level position. The managers just want to see what innovative ideas the candidates have aside from what UPS is already doing
No they don't. They want new ideas to run to their bosses with because they are too stupid to come up with any themselves.

40 stops to freedom

Tell them each center should be run like its own business with a focus on growth of pickup volume and service after safety.
Drivers, which are the face of the company should be shown grattitude for safety and service by getting recognition awards for years of safe driving and tokens of grattitude like turkeys around Christmas or thanksgiving. Their response will show you what ups is all about. What would really be innovative would be a change in corporate culture... I love my job but ups would send me out in a solar powered car with a 12 hour dispatch and blame me for getting stuck in the dark.

Bottom rung

Tell them each center should be run like its own business with a focus on growth of pickup volume and service after safety.
Drivers, which are the face of the company should be shown grattitude for safety and service by getting recognition awards for years of safe driving and tokens of grattitude like turkeys around Christmas or thanksgiving. Their response will show you what ups is all about. What would really be innovative would be a change in corporate culture... I love my job but ups would send me out in a solar powered car with a 12 hour dispatch and blame me for getting stuck in the dark.
Best screen name ever.