Stuck in the snow

bham brown

Word is 31 drivers in the Southeast center never made it back to the center here in birmingham yesterday. Can't give numbers for the other 2 centers or the other building. Most abandoned their vehicles and walked to a shelter or hitchhiked somewhere. By the time they told us to come in it was too late as the roads had already turned to ice. I know it ain't much snow to you Northern guys but it has totally shut us down. I was lucky because I live near my route. I just drove home. Think of the guys that got stranded away from home today as you go through your day.

On a side note, we still haven't heard from our management team about anything since they told us to come in.

Rico

Its usually cold enough here in the North that we usually get just snow. It seems like in the South because of the warmer weather you get heavy wet snow that packs and turns to ice. Snow you can drive on. Ice, not so much.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Its usually cold enough here in the North that we usually get just snow. It seems like in the South because of the warmer weather you get heavy wet snow that packs and turns to ice. Snow you can drive on. Ice, not so much.
Yep. First thing I do after a good snow is go out and try to make a snowball. If I can't easily make a snowball I know its going to take 10-12 inches before my day gets too bad.

Brownslave688

I think 10-12 inches pretty much makes anyone's day bad.
On the receiving end at least.
You know sometimes those 4-8 inch snows are worse for you feeders than us in package. Ill take 6 inches of fresh powdery snow to drive in over a highway that's been packed down to almost ice anyday.

You know sometimes those 4-8 inch snows are worse for you feeders than us in package. Ill take 6 inches of fresh powdery snow to drive in over a highway that's been packed down to almost ice anyday.

I'll take any powdery amount as long as it's not blowing and it stays cold. The truck will just blow through it. Now let it warm the refreeze or come down heavy and wet and then it gets interesting.

Brownslave688

I'll take any powdery amount as long as it's not blowing and it stays cold. The truck will just blow through it. Now let it warm the refreeze or come down heavy and wet and then it gets interesting.
As long as its not blowin is key. Coming home down 55 in central Illinois Sunday came up on about a 100 yard wide track of 2-3 inches that had blown over the road. Otherwise road was totally clear. There were about 10 cars off in that little spot.

As long as its not blowin is key. Coming home down 55 in central Illinois Sunday came up on about a 100 yard wide track of 2-3 inches that had blown over the road. Otherwise road was totally clear. There were about 10 cars off in that little spot.

Mon morn I-57 was closed for ten miles in either direction of me. Rt 45 was all but closed. Wasn't too hard to make the decision to not go in.

Squint

No more work for me!
Did the drivers leave their package cars on the highway? I know that it was extremely bad conditions but I wonder how management will handle that. Never is a driver supposed to leave his/her package car unattended. Interesting to see how this is going to turn out. Keep us posted!

Future

Victory Ride
Going to be interesting as to see how they pay everyone for that.
happened to me once, paid time and 1/2 till midnight, straight time from midnight till got back to building.........if you found shelter and left the truck, you got paid till you left the truck......then straight time to drive back to building..... i was lucky (not really) stuck on thruway no where to go... couldnt leave truck froze meee ass off! Diesel was running low had to shut her down alot!

Future

Victory Ride
Did the drivers leave their package cars on the highway? I know that it was extremely bad conditions but I wonder how management will handle that. Never is a driver supposed to leave his/her package car unattended. Interesting to see how this is going to turn out. Keep us posted!
In my situation, we where told to find shelter if possible and to leave truck giving them exact location where truck was and where you were

In my situation, we where told to find shelter if possible and to leave truck giving them exact location where truck was and where you were

"Just look for the large brown campfire"

images

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It hasn't snowed here since Sunday but I got stuck today. It's so cold and windy that it keeps drifting the roads and driveways shut.

Johney

happened to me once, paid time and 1/2 till midnight, straight time from midnight till got back to building.........if you found shelter and left the truck, you got paid till you left the truck......then straight time to drive back to building..... i was lucky (not really) stuck on thruway no where to go... couldnt leave truck froze meee ass off! Diesel was running low had to shut her down alot!
Sounds good. I'll be surprised if over the next couple of weeks we don't hear some stories of payroll issues.