Summer vacation

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This year I took one week each in January, February and August and two weeks in November. Saved one week to use as personals giving me 10 personals total to use through the year, probably use at least 7 or 8 of them to work 4 day weeks through the summer. I took 3 weeks off in row once and never did it again, it was too hard to go back to work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My thought process on vacations has changed throughout my career. When the kids were young vacations were planned around their schedules. Now that they are grown, vacations are scheduled to include holidays, when possible, for the extra $$. My four remaining weeks all have a holiday within--Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor, Thanksgiving and the day after--and each will net an extra $225 ($450 for T-day week).

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I spread mine out so I can get a break every so often to keep my sanity. I love two week vacations but makes it really hard to go back on Mon. That second week you start turning into a human again. If I took more than two I not sure if I could return.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Usually take all 7 weeks in the summer months from June through August. Always schedule 2 weeks in a row at least once in the summer to allow for a family vacation. Feel more relaxed after the two week vacation every year.
This year took two weeks in April to vacation in Kauai as a graduation gift to my daughter. Has taken a week to get fully relaxed and adjust to the time change. Could not imagine having to work today! This will be the week to just chill and live like a local. Seeing the occasional package car will snap me back to reality!

alexboy1

I can't decide if I should take 3 weeks in a row in July. I never taken 3 weeks off from work and don’t know if I should, The question I have is do you prefer to take most of your weeks in a row or prefer to split the weeks up. Btw I'm taking my 4 week in February

I am taking 4 weeks in a row,Last 3 weeks in Sept 1st week of OCT.

Cementups

Box Monkey
My thought process on vacations has changed throughout my career. When the kids were young vacations were planned around their schedules. Now that they are grown, vacations are scheduled to include holidays, when possible, for the extra $$. My four remaining weeks all have a holiday within--Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor, Thanksgiving and the day after--and each will net an extra $225 ($450 for T-day week).

I've never understood this mentality. Guys in our center say "You're getting an extra days pay". You're not really. You will get paid for that day no matter what, you're just missing out on an extra day off. Not sure about you, but I'll take extra paid days off when ever I can get them.

Back to the matter at hand:
I once took two back to back weeks and never again. Maybe once my 5th and 6th weeks kick in but not now. Now I take off one week each in March (birthday), June, August (before school) and Halloween week of October (trick-or-treating and last week before peak). That 5 months from October to March are brutal though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've never understood this mentality. Guys in our center say "You're getting an extra days pay". You're not really. You will get paid for that day no matter what, you're just missing out on an extra day off. Not sure about you, but I'll take extra paid days off when ever I can get them.

We get 45 hours pay for our vacations and an additional 8 hours pay for any holiday(s) within that vacation. Last time I checked 53 hours is more than the 42 that I usually work. Here in Upstate NY if we want the additional day off it would be unpaid. For example, I am off Memorial Day week. I would get a check for 53 hours two weeks prior. If I request a day off for the holiday on the following Monday it would be unpaid. At this point I prefer the $$ rather than the days off.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We get 45 hours pay for our vacations and an additional 8 hours pay for any holiday(s) within that vacation. Last time I checked 53 hours is more than the 42 that I usually work. Here in Upstate NY if we want the additional day off it would be unpaid. For example, I am off Memorial Day week. I would get a check for 53 hours two weeks prior. If I request a day off for the holiday on the following Monday it would be unpaid. At this point I prefer the $$ rather than the days off.
You get paid an extra day that week, but you end up working one more day that year in exchange for it.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I took the 4th of July week off this year because it sucks working that week, so I will be getting the extra 8 hrs. of pay and then a plan vacation to the pond the week after. I was going to take the week after to recoup from the vacation but decide to do my recouping from work maybe when I get a addition week I will try 3. Btw I wish my sup would take 3 weeks off in a row but come to think about it I don’t think ever saw a sup take more than one week at a time.