Summoned for Jury duty

B

brett636

Looks like I've been summoned for jury duty around mid June. I'm not sure if I have to go yet because I have to call to see if my group has been called. I know there is a provision in our contract about jury duty, and I was curious if it is a paid day off. If so, what do I have to bring to my manager to make sure I get paid. The $15/day jury pay just won't cut it.
wink4.gif

T

trickpony1

I was on a federal grand jury 10+ years ago. Seems like I got more than $15 per day. If I remember correctly...I think I got paid for 8 hours each day I served.
I'm sure the court clerk can provide you with the proper documentation.

B

brownsyr

<font color="000000"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>you should get the difference between what the court pays you and what you would of made if you worked 8 hours. make sure you get a a pay stub from the court</font>}

D

dannyboy

And dont try to lie about it either. If you serve and they call you up that is fine. IF they dont need you, you should know before start time. But dont say that they said they needed you, and then didnt have to serve that day. They have fired drivers for that under dishonesty, as well they should have.

d

DS

Fenderbender
I`ve been called to jury duty twice...and its a bit
different here in Canada.You sit in a room from 9AM
reading or whatever and WAIT.They usually know by 230PM
if your needed or not.UPS pays for this.
One lasted 2 weeks,the other 3 days.
There's a driver in our center that just got back from
a 1 1/2 year stint for a double murder trial.
He said it was mostly boring but he got free breakfast
free lunch ,and often had time for golf in the afternoons.
With full ups pay...

Ms Spoken

This is one of the main reasons I vote. What I would love is a LONG Federal case that going to last at least a good 6 weeks. Oh well one of these days I will get my calling. (not Mentally Sound) :w00t:

In July of 1999 I brought in my jury duty summons. The center manager told me a week later that I was excused from going....I was not happy.:mad:

HazMatMan

Too many vacations, and too many on comp. He said I covered too many routes to give me the time off. (At that time I was only covering about 40 routes)

Who excused you?? Your center manager?? Something fishy in Denmark there...My question is shouldn't it be my right as an American citizen to NOT serve on jury duty??

DS

Fenderbender
Too many vacations, and too many on comp. He said I covered too many routes to give me the time off. (At that time I was only covering about 40 routes)
Here you have to have a damn good reason to get out of it.
Unless the center manager and the judge and your local IBT are friends,
which would not surprise me.

Who excused you?? Your center manager?? Something fishy in Denmark there...My question is shouldn't it be my right as an American citizen to NOT serve on jury duty??

Not sure who it was, center manager or higher up. But they sent in a letter or form saying it was a HARDSHIP (I think that's the term you had to use) All I know was at the time, I called the court to make sure I was excused. I didn't want to get in trouble for not showing up.

DS

Fenderbender
This is one of the main reasons I vote. What I would love is a LONG Federal case that going to last at least a good 6 weeks. Oh well one of these days I will get my calling. (not Mentally Sound) :w00t:
Youd make a good jurist,maybe Jon Bon Jovi (allegedly)will kill
some biker and you get assigned to the case.
DS (not Darryl Sittler)

Not sure who it was, center manager or higher up. But they sent in a letter or form saying it was a HARDSHIP (I think that's the term you had to use) All I know was at the time, I called the court to make sure I was excused. I didn't want to get in trouble for not showing up.

Maybe it varies from judge to judge, but when I was called for jury duty many, MANY years ago, the judge said that he would be inclined to grant hardship exemptions for people who are self-employed or work for small companies. However, he said he rarely granted exemptions for people who worked for big companies. He said that if your employer has thousands of people working for it, surely they can afford to lose one person for a few days.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ms.Spoken.....you can sure have my jury notices. Last time I served it was $5.00 a day. That didn't even cover gas. I had to go 36 miles each way and both ways in rush hour (CA. I-5) traffic.....what a pain!! Orange County is just too widespread and should be split in 2.

Maybe it varies from judge to judge, but when I was called for jury duty many, MANY years ago, the judge said that he would be inclined to grant hardship exemptions for people who are self-employed or work for small companies. However, he said he rarely granted exemptions for people who worked for big companies. He said that if your employer has thousands of people working for it, surely they can afford to lose one person for a few days.

That's what I thought. I also thought only the juror elect had to put in for the hardship.

Sammie

Anybody else ever been audited by Uncle Sam and called for jury duty more than once or twice??? Maybe I should start living right.

The last time I was selected was by a county court for a murder trial four years ago. When I came back to work, one of my friends had also returned from a trial; his involved child abuse. We were both blown away for quite some time.

I pray to God that if any of you are ever chosen, it's for nothing more serious than a traffic violation!!!

local804

There is no way in hell a center manager can use that as a hardship. Hardships are used in transfers in my district and they are for much serious reasons that that. There are 240,000 UPS employees(hell maybe more) and I dont think 1 driver performing a civil duty will entail a hardship.

Noun 1. hardship - a state of misfortune or affliction; "debt-ridden farmers struggling with adversity"; "a life of hardship"
adversity, hard knocks
ill-being - lack of prosperity or happiness or health
bad luck, ill luck, tough luck, misfortune - an unfortunate state resulting from unfavorable outcomes
disaster, catastrophe - a state of extreme (usually irremediable) ruin and misfortune; "lack of funds has resulted in a catastrophe for our school system"; "his policies were a disaster"
extremity - an extreme condition or state (especially of adversity or disease)
distress - a state of adversity (danger or affliction or need); "a ship in distress"; "she was the classic maiden in distress"
affliction - a state of great suffering and distress due to adversity
victimization - adversity resulting from being made a victim; "his victimization infuriated him"
low-water mark, nadir - an extreme state of adversity; the lowest point of anything

There is no way in hell a center manager can use that as a hardship. Hardships are used in transfers in my district and they are for much serious reasons that that. There are 240,000 UPS employees(hell maybe more) and I dont think 1 driver performing a civil duty will entail a hardship.

Noun 1. hardship - a state of misfortune or affliction; "debt-ridden farmers struggling with adversity"; "a life of hardship"
adversity, hard knocks
ill-being - lack of prosperity or happiness or health
bad luck, ill luck, tough luck, misfortune - an unfortunate state resulting from unfavorable outcomes
disaster, catastrophe - a state of extreme (usually irremediable) ruin and misfortune; "lack of funds has resulted in a catastrophe for our school system"; "his policies were a disaster"
extremity - an extreme condition or state (especially of adversity or disease)
distress - a state of adversity (danger or affliction or need); "a ship in distress"; "she was the classic maiden in distress"
affliction - a state of great suffering and distress due to adversity
victimization - adversity resulting from being made a victim; "his victimization infuriated him"
low-water mark, nadir - an extreme state of adversity; the lowest point of anything

I don't know what they stated to the court. I was young and niave back then. I didn't make a stink.