Sunday Operations

AKCoverMan

My first union job was as a reservations agent for Frontier Airlines in Denver (not the Frontier of today). We were a 24/7 call center and I was literally the bottom of the seniority list of about 300.

We did a shift bid and I actually had four choices because some people failed to bid on time but all the shifts were evening start times with either Tue Wed or Wed Thu off. Day shifts with weekends off took years.

Shorts365

I asked a room full of on-roads if Sunday's were gonna happen anytime soon and they all laughed hysterically, "have you seen what a crapshow Saturdays are???"

Pullman Brown

That is true they could care less what we think several management people said they will quit if they’re forced to work Sundays🤷‍♂️

It’s so bad now that you have a good amount of drivers getting FMLA for the weekend. Everybody needs to do this. We need some union friendly doctors signing everybody up! I should have enough seniority but that would be the hill I die on!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It’s so bad now that you have a good amount of drivers getting FMLA for the weekend. Everybody needs to do this. We need some union friendly doctors signing everybody up!

Are you suggesting people be dishonest.... and manufacture a reason for FMLA ?

Last edited:

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
UPS needs to just make a hard stance on this and say "We understand the evolving markets and ability for consumers to order "needed" items for next day delivery. With that being said, we are more than happy to offer that service on a Monday thru Saturday basis. The heartbeat of this company are it's rank and file employees, and they deserve a day to rest, recover and be with their families.".
No need to mention logistic nightmares, low volume, lack of qualified management to handle this change, etc.
They would look good to the average American.

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
Ok.

That's why I phrased it in the form of a question. (?)

As long as they understand the company can burn their paid vacation time.

Except for 1 week.... and then it's all unpaid time.
IAM Local 698 beat that in arbitration a few years back. They don't have to give up any vacation time when on FMLA unless they want to. I don't know if the Teamsters could use this to win arbitration for their members.

JL 0513

What's crazy is that we're the only carrier not doing Sunday's yet. Hopefully it stays that way. There's already no volume on Mondays, imagine if we added Sunday. We have many guys consistently doing 4 day weeks taking the Monday offered to them.

Thebrownblob

What's crazy is that we're the only carrier not doing Sunday's yet. Hopefully it stays that way. There's already no volume on Mondays, imagine if we added Sunday. We have many guys consistently doing 4 day weeks taking the Monday offered to them.
Seems like FedEx has cut back on it. I never see them on Sunday anymore even though I think they still do it around here.