Sup firing an employee, on topic.

Birdblue

I was wondering if a supervisor wanted to fire someone could that supervisor get a sheet that says or argues that employee is for example “slow” or whatever and have other people sign off on it in order to terminate that employee? And if so what could I do to prevent this action before and after this goes through? Because I believe my sup is trying to get rid of me because im not on the best of terms with him or the rest of management and I think he is trying to do this method even though when the union steward came to see if was going slow and I was not and she saw I was not and I need to know what I should do. Because we are now in are slow season and I get about anywhere between 600 to 800 scans a night even before the slow season that’s what I usually get and I’m scared that they would use that as there excuse even though I have been sincerely trying to work. And I have been wrote up once for miss loads and I need Help please.

Last edited:

Box Ox

could that supervisor get a sheet that says or argues that employee is for example “slow” or whatever and have other people sign off on it in order to terminate that employee?

No. Supervisors will say anything to try and get you to do something that works to their advantage. All while wearing an absolutely straight face. You won’t know they’re lying unless you know better.

Read up on your rights under the Union Contract and make it clear to your management team that they’d better recognize them the next time they try to :censored2: with you. They’ll usually move onto a softer target or newer employee that they can still manipulate and lie to in order to bump up their production numbers.

JustDeliverIt

There are no production standards in the contract. Show up on time, work safely and to the best of your ability. You do that and they have nothing they can use against you.
If you feel like they are harassing you, take notes. After a week present them to your steward and write a grievance. Once they know you won't stand for their BS they tend to move on.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Scare tactic.

Work as directed.

Dont worry about it.
Easier said than done when management is gunning for you. I agree with what you're implying but it's so hard not to worry because management does some shady ass stuff. Add on top of that a not so great BA or steward and the idea of the union protecting you goes out the door.

OP, it's best to read the contract 10 times to get a good grasp on it and that way YOU know yourself what can get you fired or what management can and cannot do. When I was a rookie (still am I guess) I used to be intimidated by management. Then I read the contract a few times and gained a lot more confidence when dealing with management. Knowledge is power my friend.

If management ever says anything pertaining to production just say "I am doing the best I can do while being safe"

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I was wondering if a supervisor wanted to fire someone could that supervisor get a sheet that says or argues that employee is for example “slow” or whatever and have other people sign off on it in order to terminate that employee? And if so what could I do to prevent this action before and after this goes through? Because I believe my sup is trying to get rid of me because im not on the best of terms with him or the rest of management and I think he is trying to do this method even though when the union steward came to see if was going slow and I was not and she saw I was not and I need to know what I should do. Because we are now in are slow season and I get about anywhere between 600 to 800 scans a night even before the slow season that’s what I usually get and I’m scared that they would use that as there excuse even though I have been sincerely trying to work. And I have been wrote up once for miss loads and I need Help please.

Your steward needs some training. She is not there to uphold company production standards. She is there to enforce the contract. She should have declined to "see if [you were] going slow", and informed the supervisor that we only recognize a fair day's work for a fair day's pay (article 37 of the national master contract).

Next time your supervisor starts talking to you about production, ask him if the conservation can lead to discipline, if so, tell him you want to exercise your right to respresentation and decline to answer any questions until a steward is present. If your steward is unaware of the provisions of the contract, take her aside and educate her about it, and have her shut down any harassment. If your steward won't help, you should tell your supervisor that he is violating the contract and if he doesn't abide by the terms of the contract you will file a grievance.

clean hairy

Do not ask if the coversation will lead to discipline.
Instead you state "I believe this conversation will lead to discipline, I will speak to you when a Steward is present"
Then, sit there, be quiet and wait.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Are you as paranoid in real life as you are on here?

If so they have meds for that

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Do not ask if the coversation will lead to discipline.
Instead you state "I believe this conversation will lead to discipline, I will speak to you when a Steward is present"
Then, sit there, be quiet and wait.

It doesn't really matter how you present it, question or statement. If they tell you that the conversation is not intended for disciplinary purposes, you don't have a right to representation, and your refusal to participate in the conversation, or to work as instructed would be grounds for discipline. When they begin that conversation you can demand representation, but all your steward will be able to do is explain to you why you were wrong.

Weingarten Rigts [sic]

22.34life

Steward needs to recognize who's side were on,I never "observe"an employee for anything ever.any discussion about pph are shut down immediately with me,I simply ask the employee "are u doing the best u can?"then that's it game over and any further discussion pertaining to this is now harrassment for production.

Birdblue

Steward needs to recognize who's side were on,I never "observe"an employee for anything ever.any discussion about pph are shut down immediately with me,I simply ask the employee "are u doing the best u can?"then that's it game over and any further discussion pertaining to this is now harrassment for production.[/QUOTE
Steward needs to recognize who's side were on,I never "observe"an employee for anything ever.any discussion about pph are shut down immediately with me,I simply ask the employee "are u doing the best u can?"then that's it game over and any further discussion pertaining to this is now harrassment for production.
Can they though fire me for not hitting a certain pph like if I work from 11:00 pm to 3:00 to 3:30am for instance 4 to 4 and a half hours total and and I scan a total 630 packages let’s say, can they use that against me and say I was not working even though I truly was and at least trying? And if not why are they being persistent about it then if not?

Cansado

Haven't beenbat this too long, but only documentation I've seen stick are based on the "methods." I guess they could try to write for "maintains continuous pace" or the old "work as directed."

Birdblue

Haven't beenbat this too long, but only documentation I've seen stick are based on the "methods." I guess they could try to write for "maintains continuous pace" or the old "work as directed."
Alright thank you for the advice and one more thing can they write me up for not scanning packages because I sometimes get a lot damages and the manager is saying that I should scan everything but I don’t want to get a damage tagged on me what should I do?

Cansado

Alright thank you for the advice and one more thing can they write me up for not scanning packages because I sometimes get a lot damages and the manager is saying that I should scan everything but I don’t want to get a damage tagged on me what should I do?

If the manager says "scan all of them" and you don't follow that, you could be failing to "work as directed," so yeah technically...so scan your butt off.

Last edited:

JustDeliverIt

Only scan what you are loading. If you are putting it aside for damages, why would you scan it. If you explain to your supervisor that it's damaged, their not going to want you to scan it. The damage clerk will handle it.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
do you load package cars or trailers?

you can’t be fired for production if the Union and UPS agree you’re working to the best of your ability, but if you’re pretending to be a literal sloth just to be an :censored2:, you’ll get fired pretty fast