Sup firing an employee, on topic.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Birdblue, Jan 12, 2019 at 1:24 AM.

1. Birdblue

Birdblue Member

I was wondering if a supervisor wanted to fire someone could that supervisor get a sheet that says or argues that employee is for example “slow” or whatever and have other people sign off on it in order to terminate that employee? And if so what could I do to prevent this action before and after this goes through? Because I believe my sup is trying to get rid of me because im not on the best of terms with him or the rest of management and I think he is trying to do this method even though when the union steward came to see if was going slow and I was not and she saw I was not and I need to know what I should do. Because we are now in are slow season and I get about anywhere between 600 to 800 scans a night even before the slow season that’s what I usually get and I’m scared that they would use that as there excuse even though I have been sincerely trying to work. And I have been wrote up once for miss loads and I need Help please.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 1:48 AM
  2. Elmo.goes.to.prom

Elmo.goes.to.prom Active Member

Scare tactic.

Work as directed.

Dont worry about it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

No. Supervisors will say anything to try and get you to do something that works to their advantage. All while wearing an absolutely straight face. You won’t know they’re lying unless you know better.

Read up on your rights under the Union Contract and make it clear to your management team that they’d better recognize them the next time they try to :censored2: with you. They’ll usually move onto a softer target or newer employee that they can still manipulate and lie to in order to bump up their production numbers.

4. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

There are no production standards in the contract. Show up on time, work safely and to the best of your ability. You do that and they have nothing they can use against you.
    If you feel like they are harassing you, take notes. After a week present them to your steward and write a grievance. Once they know you won't stand for their BS they tend to move on.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Rack em

Rack em 2018 Brown Cafe Fantasy Football Champion

Easier said than done when management is gunning for you. I agree with what you're implying but it's so hard not to worry because management does some shady ass stuff. Add on top of that a not so great BA or steward and the idea of the union protecting you goes out the door.

OP, it's best to read the contract 10 times to get a good grasp on it and that way YOU know yourself what can get you fired or what management can and cannot do. When I was a rookie (still am I guess) I used to be intimidated by management. Then I read the contract a few times and gained a lot more confidence when dealing with management. Knowledge is power my friend.

If management ever says anything pertaining to production just say "I am doing the best I can do while being safe"

6. 2033

2033 Well-Known Member

Your steward needs some training. She is not there to uphold company production standards. She is there to enforce the contract. She should have declined to "see if [you were] going slow", and informed the supervisor that we only recognize a fair day's work for a fair day's pay (article 37 of the national master contract).

Next time your supervisor starts talking to you about production, ask him if the conservation can lead to discipline, if so, tell him you want to exercise your right to respresentation and decline to answer any questions until a steward is present. If your steward is unaware of the provisions of the contract, take her aside and educate her about it, and have her shut down any harassment. If your steward won't help, you should tell your supervisor that he is violating the contract and if he doesn't abide by the terms of the contract you will file a grievance.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Do not ask if the coversation will lead to discipline.
    Instead you state "I believe this conversation will lead to discipline, I will speak to you when a Steward is present"
    Then, sit there, be quiet and wait.

8. PappyLand

PappyLand Active Member

Follow the methods and they can’t do anything to you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. burrheadd

burrheadd Esquire

Are you as paranoid in real life as you are on here?

If so they have meds for that

10. Yolo

Yolo Active Member

Tell them to :censored2: off

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  11. 2033

2033 Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter how you present it, question or statement. If they tell you that the conversation is not intended for disciplinary purposes, you don't have a right to representation, and your refusal to participate in the conversation, or to work as instructed would be grounds for discipline. When they begin that conversation you can demand representation, but all your steward will be able to do is explain to you why you were wrong.

Weingarten Rigts [sic]

12. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

So true. Play the game.

13. Returntosender

Returntosender Well-Known Member

14. 22.34life

22.34life Active Member

Steward needs to recognize who's side were on,I never "observe"an employee for anything ever.any discussion about pph are shut down immediately with me,I simply ask the employee "are u doing the best u can?"then that's it game over and any further discussion pertaining to this is now harrassment for production.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List