Supervisor coding option days without my consent

Up In Smoke

Every seniority employee is contractually required to have a scheduled 5 consecutive day start time. You are required to show up for those scheduled work opportunities unless relieved by management. Seasonal, SVD or TDC work opportunities would be considered extra work and not considered a scheduled opportunity relieved by management when not utilized.

charm299

Well guess what, he can write me up 50 times but as long as my center manager keeps me driving and I’m showing up and I could care less about that honestly.
Or be told you are driving the day before? Because if you are, then you can demand your 8 hours if you show up and they tell you there’s no route for you

GodlikeRage

Or be told you are driving the day before? Because if you are, then you can demand your 8 hours if you show up and they tell you there’s no route for you
Yes, they’ll have me on a route the day before but sometimes they cut the route and I end up to the side. I end up doing airs and pickups. I gladly take that over the warehouse if anything.

charm299

Yes, they’ll have me on a route the day before but sometimes they cut the route and I end up to the side. I end up doing airs and pickups. I gladly take that over the warehouse if anything.
Where I’m at, if they don’t tell you the day before that you’re not driving, you can ask for your 8 hours or file a grievance

Trucker Clock

it's not fair for the other TCD's to go home and I have to come in for 4 hours and make $80.. like no :censored2: that :censored2:

It's not fair that you actually have to do the job your job? Wow.

Quit worrying about others and worry about yourself.

Like I explained, If a person from Preload is scheduled to work, as in drive, the next day and suddenly is not driving that day, they obviously can’t report to preload because the shift is over.

That person is unavailable to work the preload.

Now just because my shift is local sort and it starts in the evening and I didn’t drive that day doesn’t mean I need to show up

Yes it does. You are available to do your assigned job.

because how is it fair to pull me to do that when those guys didn’t work preload? No sir.

I hate to tell you, but sometimes life is not fair.

What...? Dude he is using my option days without my consent for the damn warehouse.

No, he shouldn't be coding you as an option day if you do not request it. But, are you calling in sick or are you refusing to work on these days that he uses your option days?

Calling out as a driver is not happening without harassment/option days.

If they are marking an option day instead of a call out, that is an easy fix.

and guess what they choose not to work preload, they'd rather show up just to not have a route and go home because they know they recover it the next day 3x over.

Because they know they have a decent chance of running a route on that particular day. They are rolling the dice. If they are not needed, they are not available to work the preload. If you are not need, you are available to work the sort. Big difference.

Driving 5 days a week here, I'm not coming into the warehouse.

If you drive 5 days, you don't need to come into the warehouse. But, if you don't drive on a particular day, you need to work your job.

If the steward tells me to go to work then EVERY COVER DRIVER NOT ASSIGNED TO A ROUTE GOES TO WORK.

How can that happen when they are not available to work?

If management hits me with occurrences THEN EVERY COVER DRIVER WHO DOES NOT REPORT TO THEIR SHIFT gets hit.

I'm the only one that worked local sort.

And there's where your problem is. You work a different shift but want all the same rules that applies to their shift apply to your shift.

I'm not busting my ass in trailers all night and these other guys are chilling at home

You're not doing your job because someone else is sitting home? Wow.

Am I right or wrong?

You already know my answer to that question.

My attendance is damn near perfect, when I show up to drive, I show up an hour early everyday actually.

Good. But when you don't drive and then refuse to come in that night to the sort, your attendance takes a hit. Or you can be fired for job abandonment. Which do you prefer?

So, as an employee that works twilight, I should have the option of declining my 3.5 guarantee.

Yep. You can only work 1 hour if that's what they need you to do. But, declining to come in is not on the table.

Our contract gives you the right to work, not the right not to work.

The point is not to work in the warehouse, there is literally 0 reason to and it's a shame because as a cover driver,

I get it. You want to drive. But, on the days you do not drive, you work your job. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I should barely be driving and working 96% of the time in the warehouse

That is an option.

but I've been consistently driving everyday for almost 2 years now.

Then consider yourself lucky.

PCM Troll

You need to meet with a steward and manager for package. If they tell you to work twilight when not driving then you must do so. They are the only ones who can get the other supervisor to leave you alone. Doesn't matter what other TCDs are doing. If the manager for package doesn't have your back, then you don't have a leg to stand on and will eventually lose your job.

GodlikeRage

No, he shouldn't be coding you as an option day if you do not request it. But, are you calling in sick or are you refusing to work on these days that he uses your option days?

Because they know they have a decent chance of running a route on that particular day. They are rolling the dice. If they are not needed, they are not available to work the preload. If you are not need, you are available to work the sort. Big difference.

If you drive 5 days, you don't need to come into the warehouse. But, if you don't drive on a particular day, you need to work your job.

And there's where your problem is. You work a different shift but want all the same rules that applies to their shift apply to your shift.

Good. But when you don't drive and then refuse to come in that night to the sort, your attendance takes a hit. Or you can be fired for job abandonment. Which do you prefer?

Yep. You can only work 1 hour if that's what they need you to do. But, declining to come in is not on the table.

I get it. You want to drive. But, on the days you do not drive, you work your job. Sorry to burst your bubble.

That is an option.

Fired for job abandonment… when I literally report to drive almost everyday you really telling me when the union sees my timecard records they see 99% driving perfect attendance and 1% no call no show they’ll let them fire me? When I tell the union that they drive me 10-12 hours 200+ stops so I’d rather not work in warehouse due to that, they’ll side with the supervisor?

That’s not my job anymore, way too long I see the supervisors playing on their phones meanwhile we’re being overloaded on the belt. They had me load irreg trailers by MYSELF. That is torture and not fairly compensated. That’s partly why this is even an issue simply because it’s physically taxing on you body and new hires quit.

I’m not worried about others, trust me because I know they are at home when I’m being forced to work the sort.

YeeYee

The best thing for you to do is work as instructed. If you feel like your rights are being violated then file on it and let the BA and the company hash it out. You complaining about having to work twilight and not drive will not be an issue if you are no longer employed for failure to follow instructions. Call your union hall so they can give you guidance.

Trucker Clock

Fired for job abandonment… when I literally report to drive almost everyday you really telling me when the union sees my timecard records they see 99% driving perfect attendance and 1% no call no show they’ll let them fire me? When I tell the union that they drive me 10-12 hours 200+ stops so I’d rather not work in warehouse due to that, they’ll side with the supervisor?

That’s not my job anymore, way too long I see the supervisors playing on their phones meanwhile we’re being overloaded on the belt. They had me load irreg trailers by MYSELF. That is torture and not fairly compensated. That’s partly why this is even an issue simply because it’s physically taxing on you body and new hires quit.

I’m not worried about others, trust me because I know they are at home when I’m being forced to work the sort.

That’s funny. You’re a model employee so the Union won’t let UPS fire you. And wait, you want to be paid more for handling irregs on top of being a model employee.

You’re a PT TCD. When you don’t cover drive, you do your PT job.

Refuse to come in and do your PT job, yes, you can be fired for job abandonment.

The Union will probably get your job back the first time. Do it again, bye bye.

Call in, or as some say, call out, and your attendance will start taking hits. Eventually, bye bye.

When you don’t cover drive, suck it up, quit your whining and come in and do your PT job.

And quit worrying about what other people are doing. Worry about yourself.

GodlikeRage

That’s funny. You’re a model employee so the Union won’t let UPS fire you. And wait, you want to be paid more for handling irregs on top of being a model employee.

Refuse to come in and do your PT job, yes, you can be fired for job abandonment.

Call in, or as some say, call out, and your attendance will start taking hits. Eventually, bye bye.

When you don’t cover drive, suck it up, quit your whining and come in and do your PT job.

I’ll report to local sort then.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Layoff misclassification. They do this everywhere.
Get a steward or your BA and demand they tell you if you are laid off or working FT.
If you are reporting to preload under threat of discipline, it means you are scheduled and guaranteed 8 hours at your rate, outside of your already posted schedule.

As far as I am aware they absolutely cannot layoff a driver and force them to work PT.

Call your BA if anyone tells you to "get back to work" and tell them to their face every single bit of layoff language is printed there night and day and they can't read.

Right now you can put pen to paper and file/free fax anything about being notified of a layoff.

Last edited:

Up In Smoke

Layoff misclassification. They do this everywhere.
Get a steward or your BA and demand they tell you if you are laid off or working FT.
If you are reporting to preload under threat of discipline, it means you are scheduled and guaranteed 8 hours at your rate, outside of your already posted schedule.

As far as I am aware they absolutely cannot layoff a driver and force them to work PT.

Call your BA if anyone tells you to "get back to work" and tell them to their face every single bit of layoff language is printed there night and day and they can't read.
He is part time and filling in as a temporary driver. I'm sure his posted schedule is for the part time job, his only guarantee.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

That is an option.

Red X

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
He is part time and filling in as a temporary driver. I'm sure his posted schedule is for the part time job, his only guarantee.
Are you sure? From going back all I've seen is other posters assuming they are PT without confirmation from the OP.

Edit: found it. Mentions they are TCD as a snippet in the middle of another post.

Up In Smoke

Are you sure? From going back all I've seen is other posters assuming they are PT without confirmation from the OP.

Edit: found it. Mentions they are TCD as a snippet in the middle of another post.
He states in his original post that he's had 200 "reports" as a TCD and would prefer to do that until he goes full time. I can only assume that he is classified as a part time employee.

Up In Smoke

As far as "coding" him as optional days when he doesn't show for his scheduled shift, my opinion is the company is doing him a favor by not documenting them as "call out" or "no call, no show". Communication is the key and this situation there seems to be very little.

Trucker Clock

Wrong again. He mentions in in his first, and main, post. You get a red x.

I'm having a hard time trying to find something in the Master/local contract that pertains to this specifically but I'm not finding :censored2:. I'm in southern region. Full Time supervisor is all of sudden is trying to force me back to the warehouse when I'm not driving. When I refused, he said he'd use my option days to zero, after which discipline letters to follow. It's kinda weird too because I'm getting Driver pay for my options days, not warehouse pay.

A little backstory, this supervisor was once my on-road actually, but due to, I guess, too many grievances against him, (and he's about to get another one) he was demoted to a warehouse supervisor and replaced by a new on-road. I'm a part time TCD and last year I had easily 200+ reports, I got 2 week vacation this year and I was never sent back to the warehouse, so most days I would drive and that's all I want to do until I'm full time (still waiting for a call). There is possibly one or more days in a week where there may not be enough routes for TCD's so our center manager will usually just send us all home and work us the next day. They may have us on a route the night before but cut the route in the morning, which tells the TCD that technically they don't need to report to Preload because they presume that they are driving the next day. Obviously preload is done and no route is available so when they see they aren't needed they go home. I'm from the twilight shift so even if I don't drive that day that shift doesn't even start until 5 pm. He's texting me like crazy to come in and it's not fair for the other TCD's to go home and I have to come in for 4 hours and make $80.. like no :censored2: that :censored2:..

That's where I'm at, any advice pls? I plan to talk to steward tomorrow btw.

GodlikeRage

You know I can see how they would fire someone who only just works the warehouse but if I only showed up to drive will the on-roads really turn me away when they realize after PCM they have a route sitting when someone calls out? Or they call me to come in and do pickups later in the day? It has happened before.