Supervisor coding option days without my consent

Trucker Clock

You know I can see how they would fire someone who only just works the warehouse but if I only showed up to drive will the on-roads really turn me away when they realize after PCM they have a route sitting when someone calls out? Or they call me to come in and do pickups later in the day? It has happened before.

No, they probably would not fire you, but they could. And it’s not because you’re a model employee. It’s because they need asses in seats.

GameCockFan

It's not fair that you actually have to do the job your job? Wow.

Quit worrying about others and worry about yourself.

That person is unavailable to work the preload.

Yes it does. You are available to do your assigned job.

I hate to tell you, but sometimes life is not fair.

No, he shouldn't be coding you as an option day if you do not request it. But, are you calling in sick or are you refusing to work on these days that he uses your option days?

If they are marking an option day instead of a call out, that is an easy fix.

Because they know they have a decent chance of running a route on that particular day. They are rolling the dice. If they are not needed, they are not available to work the preload. If you are not need, you are available to work the sort. Big difference.

If you drive 5 days, you don't need to come into the warehouse. But, if you don't drive on a particular day, you need to work your job.

How can that happen when they are not available to work?

How can that happen when they are not available to work?

And there's where your problem is. You work a different shift but want all the same rules that applies to their shift apply to your shift.

You're not doing your job because someone else is sitting home? Wow.

You already know my answer to that question.

Good. But when you don't drive and then refuse to come in that night to the sort, your attendance takes a hit. Or you can be fired for job abandonment. Which do you prefer?

Yep. You can only work 1 hour if that's what they need you to do. But, declining to come in is not on the table.

Our contract gives you the right to work, not the right not to work.

I get it. You want to drive. But, on the days you do not drive, you work your job. Sorry to burst your bubble.

That is an option.

Then consider yourself lucky.
This is your answer ^^. I know it sucks. No one should be stuck as a TCD for 2 years (although I've seen it other areas for 5+ years) But if you aren't driving that day you can certainly be forced to do your bid job. If your given a start time and told your driving the next day, show up and demand your eight hours at drivers pay.

GodlikeRage

No, they probably would not fire you, but they could. And it’s not because you’re a model employee. It’s because they need asses in seats.
center manager is running Saturday and I spoke to him today soooo he basically said no I don’t have to report to local sort on my day off. If I have more than 1 day off then to talk to him first. He’ll tell me to go or not. So I now got the full time supervisor number for local sort blocked. They can talk it out but my center manager said he needs me to drive so I’m covered.

Trucker Clock

center manager is running Saturday and I spoke to him today soooo he basically said no I don’t have to report to local sort on my day off. If I have more than 1 day off then to talk to him first. He’ll tell me to go or not. So I now got the full time supervisor number for local sort blocked. They can talk it out but my center manager said he needs me to drive so I’m covered.

It sounds like you're covered now. But you were not covered before talking to the center manager. You were refusing to do your job.

I would also make sure that your Steward also knows what the center manager told you to CYA.

robot

Has A Large Member
This is your answer ^^. I know it sucks. No one should be stuck as a TCD for 2 years (although I've seen it other areas for 5+ years) But if you aren't driving that day you can certainly be forced to do your bid job. If your given a start time and told your driving the next day, show up and demand your eight hours at drivers pay.
I thought the contract stated if a TCD did a certain amount of reports in a year a full time driving position had to be created. Did they change that?

GodlikeRage

I thought the contract stated if a TCD did a certain amount of reports in a year a full time driving position had to be created. Did they change that?
It does clearly state that. So they would technically owe me a full time position, no? I did 200+ reports last year.

dogs.bite.me

What...? Dude he is using my option days without my consent for the damn warehouse. That’s my complaint. Calling out as a driver is not happening without harassment/option days. I earned those days as a driver. Someone that wants to work preload always has that choice over driving, which idk any TCD in their right mind would rather take that opportunity over driving but.. They at least always have that opportunity to work their original job but that's not I'm talking about here.. and guess what they choose not to work preload, they'd rather show up just to not have a route and go home because they know they recover it the next day 3x over. Reread my post carefully. The supervisor is being a dick because he was literally one the same guys who sent me home when he was an on-road and didn't care whether or not I showed up the local sort. Driving 5 days a week here, I'm not coming into the warehouse.
Read the language. If you don’t work, it’s an option day.

OPTION 3: An employee may elect to take the seven (7) days in one (1) day increments. These days will be paid for the first seven (7) days that the employee does not work each calendar year. Any unused days will be paid for at the end of the calendar year.

Go to work. Just because you don’t want to do it, doesn’t mean you have a contractual way to get out of it.

dogs.bite.me

That doesn’t make sense. Like I explained, If a person from Preload is scheduled to work, as in drive, the next day and suddenly is not driving that day, they obviously can’t report to preload because the shift is over.

Now just because my shift is local sort and it starts in the evening and I didn’t drive that day doesn’t mean I need to show up… because how is it fair to pull me to do that when those guys didn’t work preload? No sir.
Their shift is over. Apples and oranges. They would tell the others to work as well if they were on twilight and didn’t have work.

Go to work

Superteeth2478

Read the language. If you don’t work, it’s an option day.

OPTION 3: An employee may elect to take the seven (7) days in one (1) day increments. These days will be paid for the first seven (7) days that the employee does not work each calendar year. Any unused days will be paid for at the end of the calendar year.

Go to work. Just because you don’t want to do it, doesn’t mean you have a contractual way to get out of it.
Was waiting for someone to say this. I'm in the Southern region and I know of this language. Since the guy is reverting back to working the preload since he isn't needed to drive, yes, he does need to report to preload, and yes, the company is doing what is contractually correct by burning option days.

Now, I've seen supervisors burn vacation days in the same manner. That's a no-no. But that's not what's going on here.

Sounds like you're in a pickle guy, however I would second what someone already said because that was a big issue for a while in my center too (also southern regional) preluders were being told by on roads to not show up for preload because they were supposed to drive the next day then preload is short staffed because on road didn't communicate with preload sups. so peoples days were being burnt and write ups were happening. In the end it was decided that you report to your original job. if you were told both by preload sup AND on road that you were to only report to drive and then your route was cut you tell them they owe you your daily because you reported to work as instructed. They either gotta find you a route or if they send you home, file a grievance and get paid either way. As for them burning your days file for that too. its unlikely you'll win but you'll let it be known that they can't do that to you.

hopes this helped

GodlikeRage

Why? You a suck ass?
Why would that make me a “suck ass”? Its only one hour and I live relatively close (5-10 min) to the center.. You must be one of those guys who show up last minute to start time to find your load :censored2:ed 15 airs but nothing can be done because all the preloaders are sent home and everyone’s rolling out. Yea, I’ll be a suck ass.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Them using your optional days is a no no you should talk to a steward and file
On the other side if those optional days weren’t used then you would be hit with a no call no show since you were told to work warehouse.

GodlikeRage

Them using your optional days is a no no you should talk to a steward and file
On the other side if those optional days weren’t used then you would be hit with a no call no show since you were told to work warehouse.

Yea it’s complicated.. however I spoke to my center manager about it when he returned from vacation. He tells me to either stay home or come into drive and he’ll code it as scheduled day off rather than no call no show if there is no route for me. Driving is time consuming enough, especially when I’m doing it 4-5 days a week. If they had me drive and work sort that’s too much and it’s not worth the PT pay to work 1 day… Really? Just To get :censored2:ed on the sort all night, handling all the volume from the 53’ trailers and drivers pickup volume? So yea I got the sort supervisor number blocked and just go straight to the center manager.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Why would that make me a “suck ass”? Its only one hour and I live relatively close (5-10 min) to the center.. You must be one of those guys who show up last minute to start time to find your load :censored2:ed 15 airs but nothing can be done because all the preloaders are sent home and everyone’s rolling out. Yea, I’ll be a suck ass.
Lol
You a scab also

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So, you give them an hour everyday and wonder why you’re thought of as a suck arse
Got it