Supervisor influencing employee not to file workers comp

funkychicken79

Question: I suffered an injury at UPS. Being ignorant and trusting I allowed my supervisor to persuade me into using my benefits instead of filing a workman's comp claim. Turns out I am one of many that he has done this to. Can anyone tell me what incentive there is for a full-time supervisor to be so aggressive in persuading people to not file a workman's comp claim? How does it affect their bonuses or their performance rating? And how do you prove it? Thanks in advance

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
My former preload manager (must have been moved/fired for this reason among a laundry list of others) did the same thing when I got an injury check-up for a repetitive overhead motion injury. I came back with worker's comp papers and a 40lb weight restriction for the next month.

Boohoo.

Brisket

Question: I suffered an injury at UPS. Being ignorant and trusting I allowed my supervisor to persuade me into using my benefits instead of filing a workman's comp claim. Turns out I am one of many that he has done this to. Can anyone tell me what incentive there is for a full-time supervisor to be so aggressive in persuading people to not file a workman's comp claim? How does it affect their bonuses or their performance rating? And how do you prove it? Thanks in advance

Sooo, on the first day of work, did they tell you if you EVER get hurt at work to report it? What did you put down when they asked how the injury happened?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
FYI, if your insurance company finds out you injured yourself at work, they’ll deny paying and force you to go through the employer.

First hand knowledge, certain injuries I’ve had or a family has had that we filed with Central States gets a lawyers form. This form asks questions with the intention of finding out if they are liable for the payment vs workman’s comp liability.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Hurt, talk to your Sup AND your steward. Sups protect the company first with minimal regard to your injury. Your steward is supposed to point you in a better direction.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Worker Comp claims draws attention and may even be on the center's profit/loss statement.
I can certainly see the benefit to the management to have you file under insurance.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Worker Comp claims draws attention and may even be on the center's profit/loss statement.
I can certainly see the benefit to the management to have you file under insurance.
Until the employee is used as the medium between an insurance company who finds out they don’t have to pay and the other who’s saying the employee didn’t get injured on the job due to lack of incident report.

Management just plants seeds of problems and gets a bushel full in due time.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

At this point you kinda screwed yourself. If you try to pursue it, the company could claim you were dishonest. The insurance company could (but most likely won't) go after you for insurance fraud, and your state workman's comp division could also cause problems for you.

If you get hurt at work, file immediately and don't let them talk you into claiming it on your own insurance. If something results in complications with your injury later in the future, you will be the one on the hook not the workman's comp. Hopefully this is your first and only time you will make that mistake.

Observer

Sorry for being so trusting. Read your Master. Ask your sup for a copy of the injury report he filed after you let know you were injured. I'll bet there isn't one. You're supposed to get it within 2 days. Get your local involved. Some stewards are worthless and will you tell you to read the book. I pray that you have decent stewards even if you a part timer. You have approximately 60 days to file with workman's comp. Check out one of those lawyers who won't collect unless winning. Since the sup convinced you to use your own insurance - that is a fraudulent act. Unfortunately you have to educate yourself. REad your state's workman's comp site. It explains a lot. Good luck. Remember trust no one. Once I learned this - my life has been easier.

Indecisi0n

Had the same happen to me. I lifted a very heavy box and felt a pop in my groin. He talked me into just letting him examine me and not seeing a doctor. This was 3 years ago but he still insist on checking me once a week to be sure.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Will for one workers comp will pay you and the other way wont

Number-Nine

I have a friend who got hurt on the job, but didnt file for workers comp. He ended up using his insurance for treatment. He then got a bill/letter in the mail that insurance isnt covering it because he should've filed for workers comp.

bowhnterdon

Destroyed my ankle getting into the car from a loading dock. 2 years off and 2 surgeries. Most people don’t realize that after maximum medical improvement, you can get a loss of use rating. I received a decent check. This is Va, other States are no doubt different

Don’t let is happen again. I would just let this one go. If you pursue it, the insurance company will get their money back. It could take workers comp a very long time to pay, if they end up paying at all. Meanwhile you will be on the hook for the full bill. And eventually will go to collections screwing up you credit.