Supervisor using the "N" word

MAKAVELI

Lol that would make sense if I was the one always crying about inequality...carry on fella
Well there was that whole equality thing that everyone wanted...but hey let’s say words only black people can say...let’s have black only colleges...let’s have the black students have their graduation separate...congratulations you segregated yourself
Sounds like crying to me.

dudebro

Can you tell your boss to friend* off and not get fired?

No, but again, generally, NO ONE should do that....

Personally, I don't want to use that word. And in the past, I have had formal talks with anyone who did so in my work area regardless of race, under the premise that it creates a hostile environment.

MAKAVELI

No, but again, generally, NO ONE should do that....

Personally, I don't want to use that word. And in the past, I have had formal talks with anyone who did so in my work area regardless of race, under the premise that it creates a hostile environment.
And that's a perfectly reasonable argument. The problem is there are many white people that want to use it without any consequences.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
How about if someone says something that’s not racist or sexist, but just politically incorrect and kinda mean-spirited. Like, say:

“Fat people should be dropped into the ocean so they can lose a bunch of weight swimming back to shore”

And then some snowflake gets triggered, clicks on profile and sees “UPS Driver” and screen shots the comment to email to UPS. Like, would that be enough to terminate a union employee?

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
one thing im sure we can all agree on regarding what race or color we are. there is absolutely no other word in the English language that has more of a hateful meaning behind it. and speaking as a white guy, i cant think of any word i can be called by a person of any race or color that would offend me even remotely as bad as that word offends black people. there is vulgarity and there is profanity and then there is the N word at the top of the heap all by itself. followed closely by the C word!

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS is going to see a lot of the N word when the IBT presents this contract. I’d say more than half will use it.
Ni.jpeg

Observer

What I resent is them saying the word but when someone else says it - they're highly offended! Supervisors are known for not being kind people. You are nothing to them. They are trained to belittle people all of the time. That way you quit in anger and they get a bonus. It will backfire when no one applies for the jobs as they don't want to be treated like that. They must have a secret question on the supervisors application which is, "Were you a bully in school or at other jobs?" Then they hire them based on the demeanor they present at the interview. Think about MOST not all supervisors have a HUGE chip on their shoulders. They forget that other people will tell others don't work here. This is also why Amazon is having a hiring problem in their centers. So calling people a particular word is second nature to them. Don't forget they could claim Freedom of Speech while you claim workplace harassment. This problem will always be there. Life is short. Don't get so worked up about it. You are not going to like every "'supervisor" you come in contact with. Don't forget the # 1 reason people quit their jobs is: They hate their boss. Another thought, the people who don't the liked to be called that word forget that a lot us don't get their uncontrolled anger. Had to explain the the 1967 riots when it was on tv last year. My young relative asked, "Why do they burn down their own neighborhoods?" I told them I don't know but that is why I'm afraid as they have such short wicks about stuff. Being a second generation member of a family that came over with a sponsor and learned the language and were in the service I still don't get their anger. I remember stories of different families who had family members leave in the middle of the night as someone in the government didn't like their religion or the fact they didn't like how the government (Communism) was being run. Life is short - forgive the supervisor in your heart and be glad you aren't like them. Remember some day they will get theirs and it will be worse than you realize. I have seen it happen and I go to bed not worrying about it anymore. The bullies don't lose any sleep over it.