supervisors giving me a hard time about a raise?

Ant12

Stop whining...I've been a PTer for 8 years. You can't prove what your co-workers got unless you've seen their paystubs. And why are you asking on here instead of talking to your steward?
Whatever. I guess all 15 are lying to me. And i've been told my steward is as useful as management

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You're a loader, not a sorter.
Nah, doesn't matter if he's a loader, sorter, etc. It may vary by area, but I got my extra dollar after only loading feeders for 4 months.

You can qualify for the dollar by either getting trained (and learning) how to pickoff or sort in a sort aisle and then showing proficiency
or
You can get the dollar by learning how to load all loads on your belt if loading feeders, because it stands to reason if you know every load then you can send any package to the correct slide.

This is past practice anyway, and how I got my dollar. I didn't start picking off or sorting in the sort aisle until quite a bit later. I've also heard of people getting the dollar by simply passing the sort test on the computer, even if they're not working as a sorter on a regular basis.

Now, the above being said, it is possible that since they put the thing in the scanners that the feeder loaders use that beeps and stops them if they scan a misload that they no longer give that for just knowing all the loads on the belt. *shrug*

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Nah, doesn't matter if he's a loader, sorter, etc. It may vary by area, but I got my extra dollar after only loading feeders for 4 months.

You can qualify for the dollar by either getting trained (and learning) how to pickoff or sort in a sort aisle and then showing proficiency
or
You can get the dollar by learning how to load all loads on your belt if loading feeders, because it stands to reason if you know every load then you can send any package to the correct slide.

This is past practice anyway, and how I got my dollar. I didn't start picking off or sorting in the sort aisle until quite a bit later. I've also heard of people getting the dollar by simply passing the sort test on the computer, even if they're not working as a sorter on a regular basis.

Now, the above being said, it is possible that since they put the thing in the scanners that the feeder loaders use that beeps and stops them if they scan a misload that they no longer give that for just knowing all the loads on the belt. *shrug*
I got my dollar under that past practice too..but that was before PAL...and my sup didn't refuse to let me take the test.

oldngray

nowhere special
I got my dollar under that past practice too..but that was before PAL...and my sup didn't refuse to let me take the test.

Yeah things are changing so many jobs are now considered unskilled. I guess the people who already got the dollar get to keep it but maybe new hires won't get it. Similar things have been done before with some people red circled in at a higher rate.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Even if you are qualified for a skilled position you can get paid less for doing unskilled work. A lot depends on what your current job classification is. Preloaders still get preload rate if they work in unload for example but if they get assigned there as their regular position then they can lose the skilled pay (sometimes happens to really really bad preloaders).
In contract negotiations, UPS wanted to do away with the $1.00 an hour for preloaders. They claimed it is not skilled anymore. The PAS label tells them which truck and which shelf to put the packages on. No need to learn load charts, streets etc anymore.

Didn't fly this time but I'm sure they will try again in 2018.

PT Car Washer

In contract negotiations, UPS wanted to do away with the $1.00 an hour for preloaders. They claimed it is not skilled anymore. The PAS label tells them which truck and which shelf to put the packages on. No need to learn load charts, streets etc anymore.

Didn't fly this time but I'm sure they will try again in 2018.
It already flew in my building several years ago.

RealPerson

Years ago EVERYONE in our building on the 5-9 shift had the skilled $1 pay... Well 95% didnt deserve it or work in the SORT areas. UPS came and took it back........
You get the $1 if you pass the sort test and Work the sort areas, OR you are one of the backup positions.... Just because the other 15 people are getting it, doesn't make it right....

hexmurph

I am certified to operate five different pieces of heavy machinery in close proximity to $100 million dollar ups aircraft, yet you get skill pay.....hmmmm how does that make xence

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am certified to operate five different pieces of heavy machinery in close proximity to $100 million dollar ups aircraft, yet you get skill pay.....hmmmm how does that make xence

Pet peeve----when you use the $ you don't have to add the word dollar. $100 million dollar is correctly written as $100M.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Pet peeve----when you use the $ you don't have to add the word dollar. $100 million dollar is correctly written as $100M.
2014-10-12-08-29-00--1362001239.jpeg

browntroll

talk to a steward if you really think you deserve it. in my building they used to make you take a test but now they only
give you the raise on days you sort unless you have the skilled pay from taking the test which makes it permanent no matter where
they put you. i had a rookie(unloader/spa person) asked how i got it and when i explained to him how it works he just got mad and said
hes gonna try and file to get it also because hes a spa person now.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There is no such thing as "skilled" and "unskilled"

There are pickoff, preload, sorter rates.

If you fall into one of these categories, you should be getting a $1 raise for all hours worked, every day you performed the work.