Supervisors Working Penalty Pay

Hi there a bunch of us have been filing against supervisors working and are trying to figure out the process for penalty pay.

Grievances are filled out with witnesses and time frames location, very solid grievances. Only problem is my BA is relatively new and not familiar with the process himself.

Does anybody here have experience filing for penalty pay? This for the preload and central PA supplement if that helps. Is it better to grieve within the supplement or keep it in the master?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Hi there a bunch of us have been filing against supervisors working and are trying to figure out the process for penalty pay.

Grievances are filled out with witnesses and time frames location, very solid grievances. Only problem is my BA is relatively new and not familiar with the process himself.

Does anybody here have experience filing for penalty pay? This for the preload and central PA supplement if that helps. Is it better to grieve within the supplement or keep it in the master?
How does someone become a BA and not be familiar with the grievance process? Unbelievable! It must be a PA thing.

meritocracy

Did your BA read the NMA and your supplement and (if applicable) rider? There's a process. In Western Region for example you, your BA, and a representative from the company meet about your grievance. It looks like Article 15 of your supplement (https://teamster.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/ups18centralpasupp.pdf) explains your grievance process. Your BA needs to make sure that process is being followed and if management is refusing to meet or not meeting in a timely manner he/she needs to follow appropriate procedures to put an end to that. During your grievance meeting/hearing you will discuss your grievance(s) and attempt to come to some sort of settlement/remedy. Once a settlement has been reached you are due your grievance check and can follow the penalty pay section of the contract using the settlement date. You should make a decent effort to get your check. If there's an office where people without direct deposit pick up their checks it may be there. Your direct supervisor may also have the check.

Be sure to read the National Master Agreement, your supplement, and these guides before filing future grievances and when writing your next grievances. The "Tips for Writing Grievances" one and the "The Grievance Meeting" one are especially important. An hour or two on the weekend educating yourself on this process will be the difference between winning your future grievances and losing them. It's worth it. Especially for those sups working grievances that put a lot of money in your pocket.

Last edited:

Karma...

use just enough language and not too much....words are like rope and too many will be used to hang yourself......remember that in most cases one is ones worse enemy.......so look in the mirror

Be sure to read the National Master Agreeement hour or two on the weekend educating yourself on this process will be the difference between winning your future grievances and losing them. It's worth it. Especially for those sups working grievances that put lot of money in your pocket.
I agree and I really appreciate you typing all that out. My BA manages 40 other companies in our local and nobody has ever filed for penalty pay before.

I'm well versed in the contract and I'm just trying to convince him that this penalty pay is totally winnable we have at least 3 to 4 new supervisor working grievances a day and we are trying to pressure the company into hiring more people. We have been understaffed for so long and Covid has pushed it to the breaking point.

Penalty Pay is part of the reason so many members have started to file because no one knew about it. Grieving within our supplement article 46 central PA doesn't mention penalty pay, but the master does and acknowledges grievances within the supplement apply for penalty pay? He told us to grieve the supplement article so the grievance can be resolved quicker and we don't have to go to Panel, is this true?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
He is very knowledgeable about other sections of the contract, but he isn't clear about penalty pay. I'm trying to get ahold of other locals so they can council him, there has been money on the table for years
You seriously need to go to your monthly meetings and discuss this with the President of your Local. The idea that a BA doesen't know about Penalty Pay is alarming

meritocracy

I agree and I really appreciate you typing all that out. My BA manages 40 other companies in our local and nobody has ever filed for penalty pay before.

I'm well versed in the contract and I'm just trying to convince him that this penalty pay is totally winnable we have at least 3 to 4 new supervisor working grievances a day and we are trying to pressure the company into hiring more people. We have been understaffed for so long and Covid has pushed it to the breaking point.

Penalty Pay is part of the reason so many members have started to file because no one knew about it. Grieving within our supplement article 46 central PA doesn't mention penalty pay, but the master does and acknowledges grievances within the supplement apply for penalty pay? He told us to grieve the supplement article so the grievance can be resolved quicker and we don't have to go to Panel, is this true?

Where I am our supplement and rider do not mention penalty pay and our members regularly file and win penalty pay grievances. In writing grievances for penalty pay you can refer to Article 17 of the UPS National Master Agreement. Honestly for your sups working grievances I don't think you need to refer to your supplement. You can just refer to the National Master Agreement and use the phrase "including but not limited to." I highly doubt that something as simple as penalty pay will have to go to panel.

Also 40 employers for one BA is insane. Where are your dues going??? I'd love to take a look at the finances for your local. If you haven't already you should look it up in OLMS. If you find anything weird spread the word. Search Unions