Supervisors working and grievances

HolyCabbage

Hi browncafe new guy here just have some questions and I figured this would be a good place to ask.

Supervisor's Working
So I know that supervisor's are not supposed to touch packages, But I want to know in detail what else is considered bargaining unit work that supervisor are not supposed to do.
Can they open and close trailers?
Are they allowed to set up work area's?, For example Can they set up the rollers that go into the trailers for loading and unloading?
Are they allowed to break jams?
Can they push packages down the rollers while i'm loading?
If a package falls off the belt or rollers are they literally not allowed to touch it or is it that they can not move it?, and if they did even if it was one package can I grieve it?
Are there any other exception's to supervisor's working? Besides training and exhausting all hourly resources.

Okay so now lets just say I started my shift and I see a supervisor on and off through out the day picking up egress or helping pick up iron until the end of my shift if I grieved it would I get double time pay rate for that whole shift? or how does it work?

If you have any more examples of stuff they can or can not do please let me know.

How much time do I have to file a grievance from the time of the incident?
Do I have to warn the supervisor that I will be grieving him or her?

I don't know if its different for each local but mine is Local 120.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Hi browncafe new guy here just have some questions and I figured this would be a good place to ask.

Supervisor's Working
So I know that supervisor's are not supposed to touch packages, But I want to know in detail what else is considered bargaining unit work that supervisor are not supposed to do.
Are they allowed to set up work area's?, For example Can they set up the rollers that go into the trailers for loading and unloading?
If a package falls off the belt or rollers are they literally not allowed to touch it or is it that they can not move it?, and if they did even if it was one package can I grieve it?
Are there any other exception's to supervisor's working? Besides training and exhausting all hourly resources.

Okay so now lets just say I started my shift and I see a supervisor on and off through out the day picking up egress or helping pick up iron until the end of my shift if I grieved it would I get double time pay rate for that whole shift? or how does it work?

If you have any more examples of stuff they can or can not do please let me know.

How long have you worked at UPS?
✊🧔

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

Supervisor's Working

Double overtime only for the time they stole work, and DON'T SAY ANYTHING, JUST NOTIFY YOUR SHOP STEWARD OF THE TIME (OR THE DRIVER ONE IF THE HUBRAT ONES ARE SELLOUTS)

542thruNthru

Supervisor's Working
A bargaining unit member should be setting up the work area. Opening and shutting trailers is a sups job because they cut tags or secure the trailer and fill out the paper work for it. Supervisors are not to help progress a package through the system. Personally them picking up a package here and there and putting it back on the belt is a little nitpicky but you can ask them to stop and tell them you'll get it.

"If it is determined at any step of the grievance and/or arbitration procedure that this Section, or a “supervisor working” provision in a Supplement, Rider or Addendum, has been violated, the aggrieved employee will be paid as follows: (i) if the actual hours worked by the supervisor amounts to two (2) hours or less, the aggrieved employee will be paid for the actual hours worked by the supervisor at the rate of double time the employee’s rate of pay at the time of the incident; or (ii) if the supervisor works more than two (2) hours, the aggrieved employee shall be paid four (4) hours at straight time or actual hours worked at double time the employee’s rate of pay at the time of the incident, whichever is greater. If no aggrieved employee can be identified, the payment will be made to the grievant. Such remedy shall be in addition to any other remedies sought by the Union in the appropriate grievance procedure."

You're in the central and have 5 days to file a grievance.
" It shall be the responsibility of the employee to reduce the grievance to writing on the regular grievance form provided by the union and have it submitted to the company within five (5) working days."

Yes you need to ask the supervisor to stop doing bargaining unit work. If he declines then you file the grievance. Make sure to have witnesses.
You're in the central region. Download your Contracts here.

HolyCabbage

A bargaining unit member should be setting up the work area. Opening and shutting trailers is a sups job because they cut tags or secure the trailer and fill out the paper work for it. Supervisors are not to help progress a package through the system. Personally them picking up a package here and there and putting it back on the belt is a little nitpicky but you can ask them to stop and tell them you'll get it.

"If it is determined at any step of the grievance and/or arbitration procedure that this Section, or a “supervisor working” provision in a Supplement, Rider or Addendum, has been violated, the aggrieved employee will be paid as follows: (i) if the actual hours worked by the supervisor amounts to two (2) hours or less, the aggrieved employee will be paid for the actual hours worked by the supervisor at the rate of double time the employee’s rate of pay at the time of the incident; or (ii) if the supervisor works more than two (2) hours, the aggrieved employee shall be paid four (4) hours at straight time or actual hours worked at double time the employee’s rate of pay at the time of the incident, whichever is greater. If no aggrieved employee can be identified, the payment will be made to the grievant. Such remedy shall be in addition to any other remedies sought by the Union in the appropriate grievance procedure."

You're in the central and have 5 days to file a grievance.
" It shall be the responsibility of the employee to reduce the grievance to writing on the regular grievance form provided by the union and have it submitted to the company within five (5) working days."

Yes you need to ask the supervisor to stop doing bargaining unit work. If he declines then you file the grievance. Make sure to have witnesses.

You're in the central region. Download your Contracts here.
Thank you sir for taking the time to answer my question.