Supervisors Working

In my building the Union won't back up the PTer and filing a grievance puts a target on your back.
To me, the target's already there. The grievance is the shield that deflects their doing union work arrows. I understand, a spa printer goes down and it's do or die to get the feeders unloaded, or a 50 pkgs need repacked in 12 minutes because something leaked all over the place. But to load an entire car or work the entire shift to make numbers look good doesn't fly.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
To me, the target's already there. The grievance is the shield that deflects their doing union work arrows. I understand, a spa printer goes down and it's do or die to get the feeders unloaded, or a 50 pkgs need repacked in 12 minutes because something leaked all over the place. But to load an entire car or work the entire shift to make numbers look good doesn't fly.
Here's the problem with that. Today they are just trying to get pkgs out the door and it's an emergency blah blah blah
So give in and let them work now tomorrow they're gonna be loading and unloading as they please
Give an inch they want a mile

Here's the problem with that. Today they are just trying to get pkgs out the door and it's an emergency blah blah blah
So give in and let them work now tomorrow they're gonna be loading and unloading as they please
Give an inch they want a mile
I'm on 'em. It's getting very rare that they work, now. But on Monday I had to load all of the closed biz after preload because they thought they were gonna have the sups do it. I told them at the beginning of the sort when they were sending people home that we would have a feeder full of send agains and the sups better not touch them. They tried to play "egress". After sort, They didn't know I was still there finishing up a leaker when I saw one sup starting to scan them. So I told him get outta the way, I'll do it. It won't last because I'll drive for peak and plan on not coming back into the bldg. guys w/less seniority drive all the time.

Dr.Brownz

Sorting a doubled up trailer. Maybe 2 walls still lying in the trailer.
Supervisor takes both workers out of the truck and sends them to a new bay.
Supervisor beckons another Sup pointing to the nearly finished trailer. And they finish off the truck.

If you call them out all they do is smile.
Rreps are around barley once a month and coincidentally those days no Sup feels like working.

CALL THEM OUT by filling a grievance!

1Simplemann

They get away with it all the time on our air sort now. All the guys that would file a grievance no longer work on the sort. It's all the younger guys and they are afraid to file. I said something the last time I went back to the building and the former steward didn't even back me up. Gave some excuse saying they're arguement would be that they have the right to help when it involves time committed packages.

TonyC

Let the sups work and file grievances. It's cheaper to pay for grievances than for UPS to hire a body. If grievances add up enough to where it's cheaper to hire a body they will. It's business.

ManInBrown

I love when one of the newbie PT preload sups shuttles me out something on his/her way home. That puzzled look on there face when I ask what there name is cracks me up every time. Why you need my name? Because you just bought us another pizza for this years Xmas party. LOL

Rack em

Made the Podium
I love when one of the newbie PT preload sups shuttles me out something on his/her way home. That puzzled look on there face when I ask what there name is cracks me up every time. Why you need my name? Because you just bought us another pizza for this years Xmas party. LOL
Our center obviously didn't file enough grievances last year because we didn't have a party this year :(

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They get away with it all the time on our air sort now. All the guys that would file a grievance no longer work on the sort. It's all the younger guys and they are afraid to file. I said something the last time I went back to the building and the former steward didn't even back me up. Gave some excuse saying they're arguement would be that they have the right to help when it involves time committed packages.

Your steward would be correct.

1Simplemann

Your steward would be correct.
For 30 years for the most part, sup's didn't work on our air sort. They would try it all the time but got challenged on it and backed off. I've been there during the meetings. Not once was time commitment brought up. It wasn't OK then but now it is. Different drivers, different shop steward, different center manager different rules. Rural drivers handled the whole sort for the most part. Guys retired and the new guys complained about their hours so they let em go early and shuttled their air to them later in the day. Now the air drivers get extra hours so I guess that was the compromise. I can tell you for sure that 10 yrs ago if management was working on the air sort when certain drivers were present, on Monday a grievance was on the desk. I've seen the grievance checks so I know drivers and PT's got paid on them.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You mean other than working after having exhausted all possible means of calling in additional staffing?
Additional staffing... That's a good one and you have been here long enough to know better than that....oh wait, that's right your building is fully staffed and you all get off at 530 and go have beers with your bosses....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can't work unless training! You must not know contract

You may want to refresh your memory as there are other instances where it is acceptable for supervisors to perform hourly work.

Keep in mind that there is not a supervisor out there who wants to perform hourly work.