Supervisors working

Justaloader

What are you.... Management ?

Your screen name suggests a loader, which would be a Union position.

-Bug-

It's a union position - once you fulfill the requirements. I just reviewed my paycheck that will be deposited tomorrow (odd, as this is the first time I've been able to see the check a day early) - this check is the first time a union dues deduction has shown up. I actually have to talk to HR as I was given a document when I was hired that shows weekly union dues are 25 dollars until the initial 225 fee is satisfied, and then it's 22 dollars monthly. My check shows a $35 deduction for union dues. I take that to mean that I'm union now. I'm not sure what happens now, though. Should HR be giving me something documenting that fact? (A copy of the contract, a union card, etc)?

Justaloader

So, you’re a scab

Nothing but a worthless freeloader

Worthless freeloader? Judgemental much? You don't know me. I come into work every day, bust my ass the entire time I'm there, and go home at the end of the shift. I'm always the first loader of my crew to show up, and am always the last one to leave. I'm the guy that runs around at the end of the night helping the other loaders with iregs, etc. If that's a "freeloader" as you put it, then you tell me - what, by your definition, would be considered not a freeloader?

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Worthless freeloader? Judgemental much? You don't know me. I come into work every day, bust my ass the entire time I'm there, and go home at the end of the shift. I'm always the first loader of my crew to show up, and am always the last one to leave. I'm the guy that runs around at the end of the night helping the other loaders with iregs, etc. If that's a "freeloader" as you put it, then you tell me - what, by your definition, would be considered not a freeloader?
someone who pays dues and files on the ENEMY

Justaloader

someone who pays dues and files on the ENEMY

Scroll up and read my other post - seems dues are now being taken from my pay, which I presume to mean I've completed my "probationary" period. As for filing - I have nothing to file about. I come in, do my job, mind my business, and go home. Granted I observe what goes on around me, but have no idea what I should or shouldn't do about what I see. I wasn't given an employee handbook, a code of ethics, or any sort of material that, in layman's terms, explains "here's what's expected of you, here's what you should call BS on, here's HOW you should go about calling BS when you see it, etc". I was literally told I was hired, sat in a room and watched DVD's for two days on how to build walls, the various types of hazmat codes, and a few other things that seemed pointless as they had no relation to loading boxes in a trailer. Day 3 - here's your trailer, there's the boxes. Grab that scanner, scan every box, load it in the trailer. That, to date, is all the information I've received about this job. Nothing else. Anything I've learned about the union, sups being non-union, etc - is all via this website.

Justaloader

This here (attached) is the only document I've received from UPS to date (other than paychecks). I've even included my last 2 pay stubs, so you can see where there wasn't a union due deduction on my 2nd to last check, and now there is. Again, I've received nothing regarding any completion of the probationary period. I'm going to stop by the HR this evening and find out what the deal is.

Attachments

• UPS.jpg
    UPS.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 09-27-19 Check.jpg
    09-27-19 Check.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 10-04-19 Check.jpg
    10-04-19 Check.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Justaloader

scabbing for those hard-fought, union strong poverty wages
As if I had anything to do with those "hard-fought" wages. In late August I needed a second job - went on indeed, seen ups was hiring, applied, and got the job. Nothing more to it than that. Not like I was out to "take advantage" of wages others fought for. Knew nothing of (and still know very little about) the union or any past transgressions that occurred prior to my working here. I appreciate you trying to make me out to be some piece of :censored2: person who is out to reap the benefits that others have fought for - and, if it were true, I wouldn't be in the least bit defensive. Unfortunately for you, you couldn't be more "off". I'm simply here to do my job, earn my secondary income, and go home. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that I earn the wages that the union fought for is merely a matter of circumstance. So, do me a favor and direct your anger / resentment towards those that made the decisions to see the wages that I started at...instead of at the person who is just trying to earn a secondary income to take care of his family.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As if I had anything to do with those "hard-fought" wages. In late August I needed a second job - went on indeed, seen ups was hiring, applied, and got the job. Nothing more to it than that. Not like I was out to "take advantage" of wages others fought for. Knew nothing of (and still know very little about) the union or any past transgressions that occurred prior to my working here. I appreciate you trying to make me out to be some piece of :censored2: person who is out to reap the benefits that others have fought for - and, if it were true, I wouldn't be in the least bit defensive. Unfortunately for you, you couldn't be more "off". I'm simply here to do my job, earn my secondary income, and go home. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that I earn the wages that the union fought for is merely a matter of circumstance. So, do me a favor and direct your anger / resentment towards those that made the decisions to see the wages that I started at...instead of at the person who is just trying to earn a secondary income to take care of his family.
I'm not blaming you for negotiating poverty wages. Carry on

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

You took the union wages without helping to support the union.
People like you are a big part of why we have such low voter turnout.
Scab.

Scab.
Could another reason be the Union wanting people to pay Union dues for a minimum wage job with no benefits? Or how about those $600 initiation fees? Or the Union negotiated concessions that don't effect FT members at top rate?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Could another reason be the Union wanting people to pay Union dues for a minimum wage job with no benefits? Or how about those $600 initiation fees? Or the Union negotiated concessions that don't effect FT members at top rate?

I'm STILL at the bottom rate for part timers, after 3 years with the company, due to the last contract's raise structure. So don't get me as someone who liked this last contract, or how it all got shoved through.

But get real. This is not a minimum wage job. Starting rate, at least for my local is 14 an hour. That's not minimum wage.

My local doesn't have anywhere near $600 initiation fees.

The union has issues, I'm not contesting that. Especially in some locals.
But everyone employed at UPS either has a good job, or could get a good job if they stay with the company, and move up the bid sheet. Period.

I said his apathy towards the union was "a big part", not "the whole part".

Justaloader

Scab.
Care to show me where / how I had an option to take anything other than the 14 an hour?
I’ve only been here since August. I was offered to opt in to the union when I was hired, and I agreed. This paycheck (literally the one being deposited in my account tomorrow) is the first one that dues have been taken out of. I presume that hasn’t occurred prior to now due to the 30 day probationary period.
You come off like my wages are somehow my fault, or that I’m somehow taking advantage of something. Care to back that up with some sort of proof in light of what I just posted / stated? How in the hell am I supposed to have any control over what UPS is currently offering to package loaders? How am I supposed to have any affect on the 30 day waiting period to become eligible to enroll in the union as a new hire?
“People like you are the reason we have a low voter turnour”. Right - people like me who have been here less than a month and haven’t even been offered the opportunity to get involved in the union, much less have any influence on others that may decide if they do or don’t want to turn out for a vote. Your confidence in me in that regard is flattering, but completely off base. Sounds to me like you are just pissed off at new hires in general for earning wages that took you years to acquire. That’s not a new hires fault. Holding me accountable for things that happened long before UPS was even a job consideration for me? Talk about getting real. That’d be like you starting at the company I work for as my career, and holding something against you that happened 2 years ago. Something you had absolutely nothing to do with, but are now reaping the benefits of (higher salary, etc). I’d think someone like you would have a bit more sense than that. Guess I’m incorrect on that assessment.

Your name calling indicates I’ve done something to be worthy of being called that. Scab? Show me any justification for you calling me that, or shut the :censored2: up and move along.

Last edited:
I'm STILL at the bottom rate for part timers, after 3 years with the company, due to the last contract's raise structure. So don't get me as someone who liked this last contract, or how it all got shoved through.

But get real. This is not a minimum wage job. Starting rate, at least for my local is 14 an hour. That's not minimum wage.

My local doesn't have anywhere near $600 initiation fees.

The union has issues, I'm not contesting that. Especially in some locals.
But everyone employed at UPS either has a good job, or could get a good job if they stay with the company, and move up the bid sheet. Period.

I said his apathy towards the union was "a big part", not "the whole part".
If it is such a great job, why does UPS have such a labor shortage? I agree it is a great job for those of us making $37 or $38/hr sorting smalls PT.

Justaloader

Someone that pays dues

Nothing in life is free

For :censored2:s sake have you read the thread? I’ve explained, numerous times, that I’m new, and haven’t been able to enroll in the union until apparently this week / pay period, as union dues were taken out of my check this week for the first time. Lol I’m a freeloader because of a situation that I didn’t create, but had to go through because of how the company works? Lol. Get bent bud.