Suppose you have to kill a family of 5 before you lose your job!...Thanks Union!

Incongruity

Banned
Unfrigginbelievealbe!!!....I've supported the Union for over 8 years just to keep myself from gaining seniority. Or; basically cutting my own throat! Well, we've had a fellow employee at our center that manged to get two DUI's within a two month period last year and was "terminated"by the Company after the 2nd one. His 1st one caused an accident that resulted in him T-boning another vehicle. A month later the 2nd one resulted from a traffic stop. So this driver chooses to run a route for 2 days w/o a license before he decided to fess up to the 2nd DUI. Make a long story short, the Uniongoes to bat for him; spends 6 or 7 monthsof negotiations on his behalf (for whatever reason)and low and behold he gets his job back starting 04/05/2010. Meanwhile as a result of my payroll deductions to the Union I get go back to 20 hrs. a week and give up my bid route to accomodate this fine driver. Hell!!! I may as well be the one getting reprimanded!!! I will be withdrawing from the Union immediately and taking my chances with THE COMPANY. I can no longer afford to support the Union on a limited income....My kids gotta eat.

Jarhead killing a family of five is only a warning letter in the teamsters eyes
Sincerely the real
I

705red

Browncafe Steward
Uncalled for. Maybe its time that you go back to your original screen name? Is there something in the TOS about several accounts?

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that UPS had a policy against family members, like father being in management and daughter being a union worker.

tense is right - had
changed a few years back
Div Mgr and above probably not and one can not report up through the other

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
Well I can believe it when you are trying to get your NDA's off on time. I should have no worries since the union will always have my back. Wish I could convince 4 generations of U.A.W. faithfuls who believed in their union in Flint,MI.

upssup

UAW, excellent point. I suffered through 18 years of that with my father working at Ford. UAW wanted more to do less and I have seen first hand how hard they worked. That was part of my issues with being in the union. Different union same issues. I was a machinist and still saw the same thing. Working hard is discouraged as you show up the senior mechanics. You literally get the sense that "let's see if machanic A can get away with not doing anything why should i bust my but" i was brought up with a different work ethic I guess. Could not subscribe to that work ethic.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Well I can believe it when you are trying to get your NDA's off on time. I should have no worries since the union will always have my back. Wish I could convince 4 generations of U.A.W. faithfuls who believed in their union in Flint,MI.

Now what does tha UAW have to do with your piss poor attitude. YOur problem is you are a me me me upser. Plain and simple you will stab your brother in the back to advance over his dead body. Everyone of us here works with guys like you. Now you are out of the closet. You have a total of 8 years in, in some areas that still is not enough seniority to go driving. You have the best medical benefits in the country aand yes you suffered a set back. You think everyone of us has had our jobs handed to us on a silver platter? I have been tortured just for being a steward and standing up for people and you dont hear me crying.

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
Well Red... the UAW has nothing to do with my piss poor attitude other than the fact than I am somewhat familiar with the history since I raised through the heart of GM. Been there and done that since I was pooin green. Yep, I was there in the welfare lines, pickett lines, cheese and milk lines, and whats left today...big ass parking lots and junk yards. Seriously next time you plan your vacation take your family to MI and see how the union stood by their people. You are damn right about that... I am beginning to realize that I am becoming a "me me me upset" because if I don't who else will give a rip? I've sat around for years and kept my mouth shut, just let things roll off my back, well now I'm going to start speaking my peace. Whether it makes a difference or not I can get it off my chest. So I'm outta the closet, did I really wanna be there to begin with? I've always made my own way and I will continue to stay the course. Matter of fact....you sound like you are the one who has the problem when I decide to speak my mind and it not you want to hear. My opinion=a piss poor attitude in your mind? And you are who to decide?

upsset

What many of you seem to be missing is that every time the union gets some ones job back after a termination it benfits everyone. Jarhead, when you have less senority you have less rights, but, if you stick around long enough you position improves. You think this guy is a loser and maybe he is, but, if your BA got his job back you should feel pretty secure about your job because you have a strong union.

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
Okay

Okay, Okay. He's not a loser, just got caught twice. I get it. I moovin on...705 feels I need to change my attitude. So be it....Probably drug it out too far anyways.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Okay

Okay, Okay. He's not a loser, just got caught twice. I get it. I moovin on...705 feels I need to change my attitude. So be it....Probably drug it out too far anyways.

But hopefully you feel better about it now after getting off your chest and receiving feedback/advice.
That is what Brown Cafe is good at.

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
Yes sir, I do feel better. At least here people will listen to you and they give you their honest opinion. I can appreciate hearing the truth agreeable or not. Brown café is a good thing, hope I haven't seriously upset anyone. Keep on movin on.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Jarhead killing a family of five is only a warning letter in the teamsters eyes
Sincerely the real
I

I can't believe you posted that. You should be ashamed of yourself. I do not think anyone on this site teamster or otherwise would compare people dieing to a warning letter. The person who kills people while be inpaired has to live with that the rest of his life whether he is employed or not and if he believes in a higher being will have to face his maker in the end.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I can't believe you posted that. You should be ashamed of yourself. I do not think anyone on this site teamster or otherwise would compare people dieing to a warning letter. The person who kills people while be inpaired has to live with that the rest of his life whether he is employed or not and if he believes in a higher being will have to face his maker in the end.

It was a metaphor! You want Zell Miller to challenge you to a duel?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Metaphor or not it was a stupid comparison.....and democratic marines are rear echelon______ ________ You know the acronym.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Yes sir, I do feel better. At least here people will listen to you and they give you their honest opinion. I can appreciate hearing the truth agreeable or not. Brown café is a good thing, hope I haven't seriously upset anyone. Keep on movin on.

Here's my honest opinion. Jarhead has every right to displeased with what he sees.
Someone said: "when a person gets their job back, everyone wins".
That is way too general of a statement.
In this case, the guy's a professional driver that didn't take his career or his personal responsibility seriously. That's it. Caught twice, how many times did he not get caught? No "proof", but let's talk probability.
Jarhead, continue to be irritated. I have heard arguments for the past two plus decades that the union protected someone and if they were in management, they would have been fired for a similar offense. Imagine this was JPS (Jarhead Package Service" or 705PS, who do you want working for you? The better of the two in terms of overall "issues"? Is it UPS's responsibility to "Understand" that people have DUI's and are professional drivers and then employ an army of other people to debate how to handle them??
Come on!!

Tony31yrs

As far as I know, it is three strikes and you're out. We had a guy that got 2 DUI's and had to work inside until he got his license back. He didn't learn and got a third and was gone.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Here's my honest opinion. Jarhead has every right to displeased with what he sees.
Someone said: "when a person gets their job back, everyone wins".
That is way too general of a statement.
In this case, the guy's a professional driver that didn't take his career or his personal responsibility seriously. That's it. Caught twice, how many times did he not get caught? No "proof", but let's talk probability.
Jarhead, continue to be irritated. I have heard arguments for the past two plus decades that the union protected someone and if they were in management, they would have been fired for a similar offense. Imagine this was JPS (Jarhead Package Service" or 705PS, who do you want working for you? The better of the two in terms of overall "issues"? Is it UPS's responsibility to "Understand" that people have DUI's and are professional drivers and then employ an army of other people to debate how to handle them??
Come on!!

You are of course assuming he was convicted of these infractions. We do not know the whole story, I know several people that reveived DUI's and beat them in court. They are still in the SAP but received their once in a lifetime back.