Sups double shifting as bargaining unit employees

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Did you have witness on grievance?

At my hub sups working also but the thing is I am usually by myself while other workers are in trailers working so I don't have witness.

If I file without witness will I still win grievance?
I believe so,if you were lying the would use camera footage against you

meritocracy

Did you have witness on grievance?

At my hub sups working also but the thing is I am usually by myself while other workers are in trailers working so I don't have witness.

If I file without witness will I still win grievance?
Yes. Always file. Even if you don't actually get a chance to talk directly to the supe about them working. Just write the grievance honestly and get the time as accurate as possible that's what matters most. Witness is good if you can get it but it's no big deal if not. Get that money bro.

I will start grieving next week then. One supervisor per employee per day?

I'm excited and nervous at same time, I don't care if it puts target on my back :happy2:.

We need more bargaining workers, my hub is run with skeleton crew. Now add employees vacation, calling out sick, no shows, being late etc. And they wonder why we cant finish on time.

Also what is the best strategy to submit grievance. I wonder if they will be notified same day about grievance and stop doing it around me. So I was planning to write everything down on notepad for Mon-Fri and on Friday submit all grievances for each day at once but I'm thinking that isn't allowed, right?

Swanson

I'm excited and nervous at same time, I don't care if it puts target on my back :happy2:.

We need more bargaining workers, my hub is run with skeleton crew. Now add employees vacation, calling out sick, no shows, being late etc. And they wonder why we cant finish on time.

Also what is the best strategy to submit grievance. I wonder if they will be notified same day about grievance and stop doing it around me. So I was planning to write everything down on notepad for Mon-Fri and on Friday submit all grievances for each day at once but I'm thinking that isn't allowed, right?
You can write up as many as you see working. Be accurate with the time to the minute,and keep it simple. Example, I observed supervisor Pile loading door 17 from 11:04-11:27pm. Where I am at it takes at least few weeks minimum to for them to find out.I would take notes throughout the week, write it out at the end of the week, submit it on one grievance with all the dates and times which they worked throughout the week.If you got 3 different sups file 3 different grievances. Settlement requested:
Maintain a sufficient workforce with bargaining unit employees with double shifting, early call-in, 6th day work,
overtime, and new job creation. All monies due to make grievance whole including benefit contributions. All
management personnel to cease & desist from performing bargaining unit employees work.

Last edited:

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

You can write up as many as you see working. Be accurate with the time to the minute,and keep it simple. Example, I observed supervisor Pile loading door 17 from 11:04-11:27pm. Where I am at it takes at least few weeks minimum to for them to find out.I would take notes throughout the week, write it out at the end of the week, submit it on one grievance with all the dates and times which they worked throughout the week.If you got 3 different sups file 3 different grievances. Settlement requested:
Maintain a sufficient workforce with bargaining unit employees with double shifting, early call-in, 6th day work,
overtime, and new job creation. All monies due to make grievance whole including benefit contributions. All
management personnel to cease & desist from performing bargaining unit employees work.

Be careful with bundling, and I'd advise against it.
I'd sooner handle each grievance day by day, and let them all stand on their own merits.

You want each occurrence will get to pass or fail on its own and not as a part of a whole.

Swanson

Be careful with bundling, and I'd advise against it.
I'd sooner handle each grievance day by day, and let them all stand on their own merits.

You want each occurrence will get to pass or fail on its own and not as a part of a whole.
It all depends how much they are working minutes verses hours.If it's a couple minutes each day you could bundle them up(especially if they are doing the same task around the same time like pulling bulk at the end of the shift).If there working hours each day you would be better off filing for each day.

Last edited:
I start at unload area once done there send me to load area and then after they send me to bulk area, all 3 areas I see sups working.
Can I file for all 3 sups working in same day grievance?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I start at unload area once done there send me to load area and then after they send me to bulk area, all 3 areas I see sups working.
Can I file for all 3 sups working in same day grievance?
Just as long as the times don’t overlap.

also be careful with round numbers. Saying the supe started at 5:30 and worked till 6:00 sounds like you don’t know for sure and are rounding.

The labor manager is gonna fight all the way, so make sure you aren’t giving him anything to go after.

Karma...

pt supers are moved around and between various buildings to work incognito doing teamster work.........watch the new hires with good methods......inside and drivers included

Swanson

pt supers are moved around and between various buildings to work incognito doing teamster work.........watch the new hires with good methods......inside and drivers included
I am thinking about dealing with the manager when I go for my grievances this time around.I think he is pretty much smoked when the sups come in wearing shorts, grab scanners,and partner up with their buddies at the beginning of the shift.

Yolo

Just don't be that guy up in the mezzanine filming a supervisor on your phone. You can say that's evidence a supervisor was working. Management is going to say that is proof you are stealing time.

NYJetsfan87

At my hub things are so bad that the sups are doubling as loaders.There are basically being used as scabs to do our work.Is this happening at other hubs?
It’s happening in my hub. We have this tyrant Full time supervisor who is trying to become a manager so he works all part time management to try and look good.

Okay guys as planned I been keeping notes on notepad and I went to talk to my steward for grievance forms (first time meeting him) I introduced myself and I am going to be honest he seems like an assh0le. He seemed very uninterested and unhelpful during the whole encounter. When I asked for grievance forms he said "you sure you want to do that" and then kept on asking me why I wanted them for so I told him grievance was for "shorted hours" just incase he would give sups a heads up of my plans. Then I asked him who my business agent was just to stay informed and know who to contact incase anything ever happens and he rolled his eyes and gave out a long winded breath of air. Towards the end I asked him if he was appointed or elected and he said "appointed". Maybe I just caught him on a bad day but the whole encounter was off.

Now to my question, sometimes I double shift and the steward on the other shift seems way more interested with my concerns and was wondering if I can submit my grievance with him even though that not my main shift?

542thruNthru

Okay guys as planned I been keeping notes on notepad and I went to talk to my steward for grievance forms (first time meeting him) I introduced myself and I am going to be honest he seems like an assh0le. He seemed very uninterested and unhelpful during the whole encounter. When I asked for grievance forms he said "you sure you want to do that" and then kept on asking me why I wanted them for so I told him grievance was for "shorted hours" just incase he would give sups a heads up of my plans. Then I asked him who my business agent was just to stay informed and know who to contact incase anything ever happens and he rolled his eyes and gave out a long winded breath of air. Towards the end I asked him if he was appointed or elected and he said "appointed". Maybe I just caught him on a bad day but the whole encounter was off.

Now to my question, sometimes I double shift and the steward on the other shift seems way more interested with my concerns and was wondering if I can submit my grievance with him even though that not my main shift?
Yes you can give your grievance to any steward or turn them into your BA yourself if you like.

Sorry you felt your shift steward wasn't very good. It does happen but don't let it deter you from filing.

Swanson

@542thruNthru My ba said he was taking all my grievances to the labor board Monday,do you have any idea on the time frame for the grievances to be settled weeks,months?