Sups working-What do you think will happen?

cantwin69

So I'm leaving work tonight at about 2:40 AM. I had just returned from the safety office on my way to swipe out. (I had to return a tape gun. I'm injured and tape boxes all night) I get up to the sort aisle where my timecard is and what do I see? Three sorters and three supervisors sorting packages. Standing at the end of the aisle was the full time manager in charge of the entire hub. I don't know what his title would be. He's the main man in the building though. He was standing there supervising the supervisors working. I swiped out and stood there for 4 mins and watched them all sort. He probably didn't think anything of me standing there cause I've never grieved a sup working. My question is this - What do you think my life at UPS would be like if I grieved the main guy in charge of the whole hub as well as the three sups working? Would it be worth it?

oper8tor

While you were standing there watching did you ask yourself "how many others are injured or just didn't feel like showing up tonight". Start from there and work your way out. The last thing a sup wants to do is work if he doesn't have to. But the work still must get done. The system only works when everyone shows up and works safe.

retired2000

that is why they have a casual list. they call these folks in when the regulars call in sick or do not show up. your should file a grevience for the time all the sups worked

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
While you were standing there watching did you ask yourself "how many others are injured or just didn't feel like showing up tonight". Start from there and work your way out. The last thing a sup wants to do is work if he doesn't have to. But the work still must get done. The system only works when everyone shows up and works safe.

LOL, you are an idiot.

It sounds like it was the end of the night. This is a regular occurrence of sending the workers home and UPS trying to save some cash by having their supervisors clean up.

To the OP, I say grieve. And everynight go stand there after the sort and grieve again and again and again.......

BTW, get all the money you can now, because the next contract is going to SUCK.

cantwin69

With all due respect, the exact opposite is true. At the beginning of the sort, I see the supervisors send at least 5 or six new hires home because in our hub we always run 1 down, meaning in any particular aisle we'll have eight unloaders with seven, sometimes six, sorters sorting them. They also begin sending people home shortly after break. In my case, I watched my sup send the guy working ahead of me home and take out his diverter and have me sort two unloaders all night. this went on for eight months until I got hurt. Maybe that was a contributing factor to my injury. He then would send people home after 3 hrs of work and proceed to finish their work for them. That's my point.

cantwin69

LOL, you are an idiot.

It sounds like it was the end of the night. This is a regular occurrence of sending the workers home and UPS trying to save some cash by having their supervisors clean up.

Yes it was, and it happens every night. My concern is not grieving the sups, it's grieving the big guy. Whatever his title is, he runs the entire hub. He was just standing there telling the sups and three remaining sorters what to do. He certainly has to be liable for standing there instructing them. They are also in the habit of starting the sort at 10:50 or as soon as you get there and not paying you until 11:00. All the sorters will do it cause they're scared of complaining and just want to make a good impression. It just really irritates me now that i'm injured. I get to walk the entire building every night and see all the supervisors working, trainers helping unloading trailers, sometimes for 20 mins or more. All the while I see people getting sent home. I know for a fact some of them want to work, but don't want to crawl around under the sort aisle cleaning the nasty floor.(that's what some of the sups do to people who demand their 3.5 hours)

mikestrek

Folks, I think Sup's now have it as bad as us hourly, Trust me sup's don't want to work. The whole reason Sup's left the hourly ranks is because moving and delivering packages is way to hard. Corporate doesn't want to hire on any more teamsters so there now working the sup's (something, even sup's didn't expect to do when they signed on). I talked to my "On Road Sup" and he was delivering packages with a sprained ankle and was hating it. Just wait until Christmas, Your going to see all the sup,s working. Now you know why sup's want to advance so quickly in the company. A Division manager or a district Manager doesn't have to move packages. But in the mean time corporate is going to say the reason were working our sup's is because hourly calls in sick. Hang in there folks, We'll get there.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
LOL, you are an idiot.

Yes it was, and it happens every night. My concern is not grieving the sups, it's grieving the big guy. Whatever his title is, he runs the entire hub. He was just standing there telling the sups and three remaining sorters what to do. He certainly has to be liable for standing there instructing them. They are also in the habit of starting the sort at 10:50 or as soon as you get there and not paying you until 11:00. All the sorters will do it cause they're scared of complaining and just want to make a good impression. It just really irritates me now that i'm injured. I get to walk the entire building every night and see all the supervisors working, trainers helping unloading trailers, sometimes for 20 mins or more. All the while I see people getting sent home. I know for a fact some of them want to work, but don't want to crawl around under the sort aisle cleaning the nasty floor.(that's what some of the sups do to people who demand their 3.5 hours)

Play the game. Grieve it. What is he going to do? Fire you? He probably could give two ****s whether you grieve him or not. I'm sure the teamsters would like to have him at the hearing.....

As far as starting the sort early, they can start it if they like, but I am going to sit there watching the clock until it's pay time. I get paid to work at the established start time, no freebies from me.

Big Babooba

With all due respect, the exact opposite is true. At the beginning of the sort, I see the supervisors send at least 5 or six new hires home because in our hub we always run 1 down, meaning in any particular aisle we'll have eight unloaders with seven, sometimes six, sorters sorting them. They also begin sending people home shortly after break. In my case, I watched my sup send the guy working ahead of me home and take out his diverter and have me sort two unloaders all night. this went on for eight months until I got hurt. Maybe that was a contributing factor to my injury. He then would send people home after 3 hrs of work and proceed to finish their work for them. That's my point.
At our building, grievances are filed for supervisors working - and won!

Big Babooba

Play the game. Grieve it. What is he going to do? Fire you? He probably could give two ****s whether you grieve him or not. I'm sure the teamsters would like to have him at the hearing.....

As far as starting the sort early, they can start it if they like, but I am going to sit there watching the clock until it's pay time. I get paid to work at the established start time, no freebies from me.

Our contract says that anybody made to work before their scheduled start gets paid at time and a half. Also they cannot be made to leave before their guarantee.

Big Babooba

LOL, you are an idiot.

Yes it was, and it happens every night. My concern is not grieving the sups, it's grieving the big guy. Whatever his title is, he runs the entire hub. He was just standing there telling the sups and three remaining sorters what to do. He certainly has to be liable for standing there instructing them.
They are also in the habit of starting the sort at 10:50 or as soon as you get there and not paying you until 11:00. All the sorters will do it cause they're scared of complaining and just want to make a good impression.
It just really irritates me now that i'm injured. I get to walk the entire building every night and see all the supervisors working, trainers helping unloading trailers, sometimes for 20 mins or more. All the while I see people getting sent home. I know for a fact some of them want to work, but don't want to crawl around under the sort aisle cleaning the nasty floor.(that's what some of the sups do to people who demand their 3.5 hours)
Sounds like Walmart!!!

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Does it say anything about hazmat procedures. We had a sup last night in the sort aisle with a flammable liquid leaker, who refused to stop the belts.
Kaboom!

Babooba screwed up the quotes....you'll have to ask him.

There are procedures for hazmats. One of them is that you stop the belt if it is a leaker.

They may say that it was not affecting other packages....either way, i'm going to walk away.

In our preload, pt. time sups or "non-union loaders" as I call them, work every day, almost the whole shift, except when doing some paperwork or BSing with others. Just the way its been for the last few yrs or so. Loaders can't handle loading the volume of areas without them. Even the preload center manager does hourly work for a few hours a day. I don't hear of anyone filing grievances for preload anymore. Theres fear of harassment, intimidation.

raceanoncr

So, you're on injured, light duty work? OK, were you able to perform work that sups were doing? If not, there ain't no grievance, at least not for you. You have to be able to perform the work for which you are grieving, yes?

The old saying holds true: "Be careful what you wish for, it may come true".

You grieve this and win, then you will be required to perform the job next time this situation arises.

Correct me on this scenario if I am wrong.

FromBluetoBrown

Babooba screwed up the quotes....you'll have to ask him.

There are procedures for hazmats. One of them is that you stop the belt if it is a leaker.

They may say that it was not affecting other packages....either way, i'm going to walk away.

Im the only hourly hazmat first responder for my building (meaning I do EVERYTHING) Of course there are procedures but rarely are they enforced because the hourly sorters dont know any better to stop the belt and they dont want the center manager screaming at them for stopping the belt for a leak and halting production. I love seeing the center manager's vein pop out of his head when I tell him that Im shutting down the sort to clean up a spill and if he tells me to turn the belt on I am going straight to Safety.

dunderchief

So, you're on injured, light duty work? OK, were you able to perform work that sups were doing? If not, there ain't no grievance, at least not for you. You have to be able to perform the work for which you are grieving, yes?

You grieve this and win, then you will be required to perform the job next time this situation arises.

If you assume this guy doesn't want to work, you're wrong.
sounds like this person, just like me, would usually gladly stay to make a liitle more money.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter

I grieve out of principal. UPS: Don't send people home, hire people that are needed and don't dishonor the contract.

Ann arbor is still a whore.